Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vertigo

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,

This may be just a weird thing to have and to post about but I realised when away skiing for my first time in feb that my fear of heights and dizziness / vertigo extends itself to steep slopes & chair lifts... Now I am not one to give in, I do things that scare me all the time so that the 'fear' doesnt get any worse such as Go Ape (hate it!), have done a bungee jump.. etc but I just wondered does anyone else have this problem and do you have any tips?

Thanks! Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't look down on chairs. Just keep looking up at the view.

Don't panic if the chair stops mid-way up the hill (it will occasionally, it's nothing to worry about, they're probably just stopping it to help a disabled person to get on, or because someone has slipped over while getting off at the top).

Focus on the fun you're going to have when you're not on the chair - the chair is just a means to get to the fun.

If you have done a bungee jump then a ski chair is nothing in comparison. That doesn't mean you might not find it a bit scary, just that you have already gone to 11, a chair is about a 3.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry - just re-read. I originally though you'd never been skiing, realise now that you have been once before. But my advice is still the same I think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suffer from vertigo - and it makes certain aspects of skiing tricky. I have to avoid 'ledge' type runs like the plague, and chair lifts that have a big drop underneath them (that chair in ADH that goes down then up is a big no no !). Steepness isn't a problm , as long as I work up to it , a steep black early on isn't good, but I just gradually ramp up the thr steepness.

Stick to bubbles and gondolas, don't look down, avoid ledges and work up to the steep slopes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can handle chair lifts (I still get a bit freaked by the bar going up just before you get off and hate it if someone raises it a little early!) and cable cars by focusing on the views and chatting. I can`t handle skiing with a big drop right by my side nor standing close to an edge. I plan my routes and resorts with care and enjoy myself most of the time. I have had to accept that occasionally I will be absolutely terrified but still need to get down the mountain. When that happens my world becomes very small and I concentrate on one small thing at a time, it really helps if someone else I trust is skiing with me at such times. When I am in panic mode I forget how to do anything except snow plough! My family are very good at talking to me, reminding me what I should really be doing and guiding me through those occasional rough times and away from snow ploughing! Green runs are often the worst and I avoid them at all times unless they are tree lined.

The pleasure and fun I get from most of the skiing and enjoying the scenery is more than enough to outweigh the odd occasion I end up on a run I am terrified on! But I am lucky I don`t get dizzy, just paralysed with fear.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good advce above.

Sit right back in the chair, perhaps avoid wearing a rucsac or take it off so that you are not perched on the edge. Don't be bullied into lifting the bar too early. Keep a firm hold of the bar so you feel in control about when it is lifted. I think THAT can be unerving no matter how well you cope with heights. snowHead

Perhaps also avoid downloading on chairlifts which can be scarier than skiing down sometimes Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your tips!!
Its good to know that I am not alone with my 'fear' and that there are ways of handling it.
I think it makes it tougher for me as my other half is fearless.... (doing blacks on week 1) while I cried doing a few blues which were way out of my comfort zone!!And he just doesnt have the patience with me which makes me worse! Shocked

Caravan skier you sound just like me! Day 1 of my trip I was loving it.. day 2 .. the group pushed me into doing a blue which was icy, packed and way out of my comfort zone and by the end of it I was a sweaty, swearing, terrified and tense mess who could barely snow plough without crying!! Even the snow plough felt horrendous to me.... Laughing
My other half just lost his patience and for the rest of the week my sister and I spent time together and he and my sisters OH went mad together. I gained a lot of confidence in the week but still struggle with vertigo... and hate that feeling of something steep that seems to go on and on for miles... Completely irrational but I cant help it!
Last year I was so close to taking my skis off and walking down but I didnt allow myself.... Laughing

I am just hoping Andorra and its 'cruisy blues' live up to their name so I can try and build some confidence up and go at faster than a snails pace!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are struggling with the steepness of the piste try and break it down in to sections. Take the bit you are on, then rest at the bottom, only move on when you're ready and if the others don't like it try not to worry about it.

If you take it 1 turn at a time in a wide 'S' shape and you will spend less time looking directly down piste, don't think about technique until you are comfortable on the mountain, think about you and the mountain then work on everything else later, 1 step and a time and all that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Insiders.. thats my plan so its good to hear you second that.. I think once I have some confidence on the mountain and getting down it then I will start working on my technique.. think I tried to do too much all at once last trip!

That said I still loved it and cant wait to go back... crazy huh! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thoroughly hooked - it's a slippery slope Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha I like what you did there Laughing
When I said to my other half in Bansko...

'Its just a lot higher than I expected... & the fact its all white disorientates me'.. I thought he was going to throw me off the mountain Laughing

He just said
'Its a mountain, with snow on it...... its not ice skating'.. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a strange feeling for sure, the first few times where everything is new - the clothes, the boots, the skis... everything takes some getting used to... best thing to do is go to the chillers (indoors skiing) if you're near one - it's not a mountain but it'll get you used to the slope at least and you'll have a little practice getting used to the sensations of skiing before going back to the mountains. at least some things will feel slightly more familiar and won't give you so much sensory overload
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think at one point I just stopped and thought
" Who on earth invented this.. sticking metal to your feet and sliding down a mountain ITS NOT SAFE!!"... Then my melt down followed Laughing

We actually went to Hemel last week on Thursday and I was dreading it!! But I had an awesome time... I realised that although my week in feb I felt I had done awfully I had actually picked up a huge amount and hadnt lost it all. Within the two hours we were there I came on so much, I was getting my turns closer together rather than big S turns.. and I was getting a tad of speed and feeling comfortable about it! & I didnt snow plough at all.... Laughing

We are booked to go back in 2 weeks for 3 hours again, it will be a saturday when its slightly busier which I also think will do me good as I need to be able to not get put off everytime there are people around!
We are only an hour from Hemel so its pretty convenient and just those 2 hours have increased my confidence a lot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vertigo is irrational and makes total sense. It keeps us alive but also stops us dead in our tracks if we're not careful. Don't let your OH influence you. Do it your way, not his. If it's any help I'm a rock climber who also gets vertigo. Put me on a 500 ft cliff starting from the bottom, no problem. Walk to the top of a 100 ft cliff and look over the edge, shoot myself.
Bar going up too soon on the chair and I die a little inside Skullie
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Outside of lessons on the mountains try to find a run you are ok on and then ski it a lot! Practising getting down the slope using everything you have learnt without the worry of what the run will be like round the next corner or over the next brow is a great way to gain confidence. The element of the unknown, is there a big drop coming up, a sudden steep/narrow bit removed from the equation allows you to relax a bit, and enjoy the skiing. Hemel will be a big help in that respect too.
ski holidays
Sorry if this sounds like nit-picking, but it's doesn't sound like it's vertigo that's going on here; rather, it sounds like some acrophobia (fear of heights) and not being in control as a beginner skier in what feel like perilous places? I have experienced feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous in that position when hiking on my own in the mountains on very narrow ledges. I've never really had a fear of heights but sometimes it just hits you… and looking up and at the view definitely helps! It's great that you are getting some pre-season, pre-mountain lessons, and I do agree that you need to "do it your way, not his" when you get up the mountain because if you don't get "the fear" yourself it can be really hard to understand; if that means another holiday of largely skiing separately and hooking up for lunch etc. then that's probably the way to go until you feel completely comfortable with your skis and surroundings… which you will do eventually!
ski holidays
Em1986, I don't suffer with vertigo but its taken me a long time to get used to chairlifts, I use rescue remedy spray, no idea how or why it works but it does, still carry it in my pocket but rarely use it. Agree with not being bullied into opening the bar too early.
latest report
Thanks everyone!!

Caravan thats a great bit of advice Happy
I came on leaps and bounds in 2 hours of skiing the same slope at hemel confidence and ability wise so thats certianly something I will be looking to do rather than just trying to do as many slopes as possible!

Miranda I think you are right to an extent but its a mix of things.. I do siffer from a fear of heights and vertigo.. I have almost passed out from feeling dizzy being up high and I think that combined with the fear of something new as well means everything is exaggerated.

I remember when I went up to almost the top of the mountain to ski a 'blue' which had heaps of red sections in it... anyway thats another story.. the chair lift stopped and started swinging... I freaked out.. we got off the chair lift and I saw clouds below us... I freaked out... seeing this steep open slope below me, I freaked out... and then I got completely taken out by a snowboarder... I got to the bottom a sweaty swearing mess Laughing

But I think when I am more confident in my ability the fear of heights and vertigo will lessen a little! (hopefully!!)

And yes I think that if we cant agree on whos skiing where then I am more than happy to ski along for the morning or afternoon which I think was our plan anyway as he wants to do some reds. Smile

Rescue remedy is a good idea too, I may take some with me as just knowing its there will help I think!

Funny thing isnt it, so many of us are scared in one way or another but the skiing still hooks us in Laughing
latest report
Try reading Inner Skiing by Timothy Gallwey:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Skiing-W-Timothy-Gallwey-ebook/dp/B003WUYELQ?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Em1986 wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Funny thing isnt it, so many of us are scared in one way or another but the skiing still hooks us in Laughing

In an odd way that fear may help to make skiing more pleasurable. Overcoming it is a challenge but success gives a sense of satisfaction. Not so good when you are half way down a slope and freaking out, but great when you finally make it to the bottom Laughing
latest report
Em1986 wrote:

'Its just a lot higher than I expected... & the fact its all white disorientates me'.

I don't know if I'm reading more into this, but if you really mean 'all white' ie the sky too, another piece of advice would be, maybe take a day off if it's snowing/white out conditions.

Not being able to see the dips and edges can be very unnerving for beginner skiers and can turn a very easy blue into a nightmare, and may exacerbate your existing issues.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy