Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

' I've just bought this' follow up - the social friction caused by the narrow ski carrier....

Poster: A snowHead
The post by the owner of the redundant gondola pod from Flaine instantly reminded me that I have not posted about an increasingly worrying problem....

...the growing width of skis, their twin-tip character and the narrowness of many of the existing ski carriers on aging gondola pods.

This season saw almost complete social breakdown in queues as those with powder planks had to split their skis and use two carriers - each designed for a pair of the skis of the last decade. My kids now have wider skis - and they are 8 and 10, I have off piste planks and that means either a bun fight on a six person gondola or taking at least two pairs inside. Fine if they are the kids' skis. Not if it's two pairs of 170s.

Some companies are busily welding on additional carriers. Others get the pisteurs to stick skis in the board carriers - at precarious angles. I have spent an anxious ascent with my hand out of the window, grabbing a flapping ski - not good in minus 5.

Anyone else....?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't got anything that fat but I sometimes have trouble getting them in wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take em in the gondy with me if lift cos can' t be arsed getting into 21st century. They've had 14 years.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just goes to prove that this site is full of nutters rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
I haven't got anything that fat but I sometimes have trouble getting them in wink

Are you talking about skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque,

Titter snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The answer is new lifts of course. Surely most resorts only have a handful of the old relics left...?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a lift at Laax a few years ago my skis had to be sent up on the folowing chair (laying across the seats) as they were too wide and they were only a little over 90mm. Can't remember exactly but I think it was a chair which you took your skis off with a ski carrier on the side. Up from Falera I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I lost one of mine from the outside of the gondola in Hochgurgl. Fortunately it fell out immediately we came out of the bottom lift station and so it was collected by a lifty and sent up separately.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to split my twin tips on every gondola ride. So annoyed was I that I went out and got some new ski's.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slot em both in a snowboard slot. I hate it when I split them then some liftie proceeds to take them out, jam then in a slot so tight that it dulls the tails and makes it almost impossible to get them out at the top.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a problem on a 'copter. Razz
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haha go to Hokkaido if you think Europe's bad. Some lifts are so tiny you can't even take the skis inside (let alone the racks) without opening the vents in the roof first.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:

wink There speaks someone whose not tried to load 12 snowboards into your average heli ski-carrier. They make the containers for them bigger each year for this reason.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:

Apparently the Apache only takes one pair at a time wink
snow conditions
you just need to put them both in with the base facing in the way then they almost always fit together assuming 1 gets in that is
snow report
Do you not have "staff" to carry them up for you on their backs?
latest report
Got 99 first world problems...
snow report
Perhaps this splitting of wide sets of skis and taking up two slots is why I've, very occasionally, had to put my everday thinner, non-twin tip skis in a snowboard slot in a packed lift queue. At which point I spend the whole journey hoping they won't tip out of their precariously balanced perch when we go over each pylon!!

I have huge preference for gondolas you can take skis into and they are far easier if you have kids with you. For the last couple of years mine have just about been able to manage to hoof them high enough to get them in a slot themselves, but I still cross my fingers that they don't mess it up. Before that it was always a juggling act to get all the skis in a slot and everyone in before it zoomed off. Is it actually cheaper to make bubbles with the slots on the outside - is this why they do it? I would have though it was easier just to make a plain oblong box that you take all the gear into?
latest report
valais2,
Quote:

Anyone else....?

Yes just a bit rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/jQpuP-aQ34E
snow report
Megamum, the lifts aren't just for skiing. They'll have bike racks on in summer.
Saying that, there seems to be a larger number of 10-person gondolas now, with 5+5 ski slots and 2 board slots (or 2 bike hangers in summer), which are nearly impossible to get 10 people to slot skis and get inside. I'm sure they're sized because it's easier to get 8 to go up in 1 cabin that way. Not only that, they are large enough to take skis/board inside, and take bikes inside.

In Maribor, we went just after the gondola fell over and was replaced with a new one. Think it may have been an 8er? 2 bikes fit inside, so I expect skis would too.
And while riding there, we found some of the old cabins (well bubbles) littered about the forest. I still think it's amazing those things were ever used in the first place. I can only just get in them, and my poles I'd usually wedge between floor + ceiling.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Got 99 first world problems...

but the switch ain't one?
latest report
livetoski, ....exactly.....

excellent vid.

we had a good chortle at the skis collapsing at the end of the vid - exactly what has happened to us.....
snow report
Is it bad that I picked up which lift that was in about 15 seconds?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy