Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix: advice needed on hike to Lac Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The summer lifts open tomorrow and am wondering about the hike to the lake from top of the Index chair. Any advice would be very useful. We would do either Sunday or Monday as we fly out of Geneva Tuesday. Am concerned about snow. Seems a fair bit around. We have good walking boots but not equipped for snow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Pam, looking out the window in Les Houchees, there is a bit of snow at the Aiguille du Midi mid station so I'd say you will enounter snow patches but it will be an easy enough trek - just take some poles.

Don't go to the top of Index just take the Flegere cable car and walk from there, no point in walking down to then have to climb up + there will be some nasty snow slopes to traverse before you meet the main track coming from the Flegere

The index lift is onky usefull for climbing or walking to lacs noirs, but that will still be snow bound.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a feeling that whenever I've done it before July it involved some snow. Yaktrax and good poles?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with what the others are saying. Even in August last year the people walking down from Index had to traverse the odd patch of snow. It's a popular walk though so I'd expect there to be a fairly well worn path and wouldn't expect there to be to many problems wearing good walking boots. Having some poles might be useful.

The walk up from Flegere isn't a walk in the park though. I'm sure it's not hard for anyone used to walking in the hills but for us the relentless uphill walking caught us a bit by surprise. A beautiful place to visit though and great views. Well worth doing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

If you carry on to col des Montets you may see some bouquatain. Some easy ladders. There is usually a bus but check as it's early n the season. Have a nice day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:
... Some easy ladders...
Easy mebee but the biggest must be 10m or so - not something for the easily height disturbed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, that's why I mentioned them Wink I think if you take the high path you can avoid them but not 100% sure. I don't think dogs are allowed in that bit either, but it is really pretty, may be a better walk than bothering with the lifts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. No way would i get my friend on a ladder and i realized yesterday, on an easy ascent, that she won't manage that much vertical. Will have to postpone lac blanc, i fear, and just do the balcon path from flegere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, the walk from Le Buet into the Berard valley is also very nice, with a pub to start and finish and a cafe in the middle. Another with no vertical is up on the Montevers train and walk back down. Your Flegere walk is also a favorite of mine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy