Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central South Island New Zealand 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Mt Hutt opened today, 6 days after it was supposed to. Great coverage after a recent storm and most of the mountain open. I got up there today for opening, and it was fun Very Happy

Here's a few photos

The Towers

Main part of the ski area

The top of the access road

Looking out across the Rakaia River towards Christchurch

My new truck Very Happy

View of the ski field from the access road - great coverage for this early in winter

Most other ski areas in the Central South Island open in early July. It's shaping up to be another good start to winter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks great!!¨! I am heading out to NZ in mid July for a month! I'm hoping to find some people to hook up with to go Ski touring. Do you know of any clubs or organisations I could get in touch with? Any help much appreciated!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
try stu at this site http://www.chillout.co.nz/contact/ he should be able to put you in touch with someone.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Update:

Total utter sh1te Very Happy

And getting worse

With no snow in the forecast

Meanwhile oz got a metre

Possibly one of the worst starts to the season in years in the South Island

Sure it will snow, and get some good cover, but June can be a pretty good month usually for crowd free days with good snow, but not happened this year. I've actually been working

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Getting crapper Very Happy

1 run on trail today - 8 core shots. snow report creatively described conditions as cookies and cream snow. It sounded quite nice. what it actually turned out to be was brown slush with rocks in it, but it did look like cookies n cream ice cream.

Definitely the worst start to the season I can remember.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The snow has just about sorted itself out, slowly but surely. Pretty boney off piste (already binned a board this season) but looking like some good snow on the way in the next couple of weeks, and I've managed to get up the hill most days in the last couple of weeks.

Shot up there this morning, and had a bit of a PMSL moment in the car park, a young fella pulled up next to me in a flash Audi Allroad thing, moaning about the access road shredding his tyres, with a flashy looking bike on the back. He obviously hadn't encountered Keas before....native and rare mountain parrots that eat anything remotely rubbery.

They had destroyed his saddle, tyres and grips by the time I left - there was just metal left Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can see why they are rare.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hang11, if the bleeder did that to my bike it'd soon be some sort of mascot/ornament.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang11, snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
its still rubbish
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hang11, it's that stupid kea's fault.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some snowy light at the end of your tunnel perhaps, hang11 ...

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Given up on this season. Went and bought myself a new surfboard today, been some decent waves lately Very Happy

And the warm weather has meant that the fishing has been pretty good over winter Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11, Come down south the conditions here are still holding up well. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plenty of snow here, but I've done 24 days of hammering down groomers with no good powder days, and I'm a bit bored of it now Very Happy

Had a great surf this morning however, warm, sunny, nice little peelers and just about managed to still squeeze into my wetsuit.
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
Some snowy light at the end of your tunnel perhaps, hang11 ...

Nearly there ...

latest report
Question: If you had to choose between Whakapapa and Turoa, say, the weekend after next, which would you go for?
latest report
Can't help you on that sorry - never been to the North Island hills. Probably best to have a look at the reports on www.snow.co.nz and pick whatever one looks the best on the day.
latest report
Thanks, hang11, good call.
ski holidays
Depending on how close you are to major airport - Auckland or Wellington, it's really cheap and easy to get to the South Island and get to a mountain - probably quicker than getting to Ruapehu if you are driving. Only thing is the snow's not too flash anywhere on the South Island, but it's snowing right now and looks like a bit more on the way over the next week.

Might be worth looking at that - really easy to book a flight with Jetstar or Air NZ, and usually pretty cheap - $60 each way if you get the right one. If you went to Queenstown you could easily do it without hiring a car.
latest report
hang11, I looked at heading to Queenstown but my timing is tight and the flights were coming in at more like $400 return, whereas the car hire is on the company. I just wish I could find some clients in Christchurch then I could charge it on expenses, but until then that's a bit pricey for a day's skiing. That settles it: 10 months to get some business in S.Island... That's what I call motivation Happy
snow conditions
Very Happy Its worth making the effort - south island in winter is a nice place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy