Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Northernmost ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I have been looking to ski the northernmost ski "resort" at some point, just for the experience. I used to understand that this was Riksgransen in Sweden. But now I believe the honours go to a tiny resort near Tromso in Norway. What do the snowheads think as the the true northernmost resort? BTW Southernmost is I think uncontested - Cerro Castor is Argentina. What other extremes can anyone think of?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
BTW Southernmost is I think uncontested - Cerro Castor is Argentina.

... if you are being pedantic the Glacier Martial chairlift (just behind city of Ushuia) is further south than the Cerro Castor resort, and offers left serviced skiing Wink

as for furthest north ? never been - but I think you are correct with Tromso
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cerro Castor is definitely the farthest south. Been there several times. It's popular with ski teams during the summer. I saw the UK squad there a few years ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well Tromso is at 69 degrees North, and Riksgransen is at 68 degrees, so I'd say Riksgransen is still further north
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef wrote:
Well Tromso is at 69 degrees North, and Riksgransen is at 68 degrees, so I'd say Riksgransen is still further north

Puzzled Puzzled

Thought 69 was further away than 68 Confused as the equator = 0
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
there is definitely skiing available on Svalbard. take a gun though if you go back country unless you want to be polar bear dinner.

Longyearbyen is 78deg N
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are going south there is (or was) a drag lift at New Zealand's Scott Base. Way further south than either Glacier Martial chairlift (just behind city of Ushuia) or Cerro Castor
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge McSarge, looks like the drag lift is still there - http://nztabs.ictar.aq/scott.php
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Svalbard

Would you describe it as a "resort"?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, do they do summer skiing? - we're off to Longyearbyen on 13th July... wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones wrote:
feef wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled

Thought 69 was further away than 68 Confused as the equator = 0

Doh, yes.. sorry I had it 4rse about t1t Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the input. I guess lift serviced is probably a criteria! Svalbard sounds like it might be the extreme for north - and potentially a bit of a trip of a lifetime...but does it have a lift? I think Tromso has a couple of drags. I did see some muttering about a resort being built there, but that's probably some developer's pipe dream... however with global warming who knows! Scott base.. don't you have to be a scientist or something, I have an o-level in chemistry, will that count ? Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy