Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much is too much? (Ski school for young 'uns)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to tap into the Snowheads wealth of experience please.

What attention span do kids have when it comes to ski school?

We're going on a 3 week trip over Xmas and the kids will be 3 and a half and 5 when we go. The 5 year old has had 2 weeks on the snow already in ski school but it will be the first time for the 3.5 year old. We want to book them into the EDF snow garden but worried that 3 weeks ski school (Saturdays off) maybe too much.

Does anyone have any experience they can share on this?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We want to book them into the EDF snow garden

A bit frightening - will they be electrocuted?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 weeks with just 1 day off a week does sound a bit too much. Maybe book a few days a week and see how they get on before committing to the whole 3 weeks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think too much for parents too! I would kill to ski for 3 weeks and usually depressed coming back after 1 week, but when kids in tow, it's a relief.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trainee snowboard jedi, have you checked what the local ESF policy is wherever you're going? The ESF here take 3 year olds but now advise parents that if the 3 year old is not happy after the first day or so, they will cancel the rest of the booking (without charge), and suggest the child spends their time in the creche instead if the parents want them to be in some organised activity. (I assume a lot of 'snow gardens' for 3 year olds are 1.5 hour pootling on mini slope and juice and cake breaks, followed by more creche style snow play/sledging or indoor activities on 'bad' weather days).

You know your own child better than anyone, and all children are different of course: will your child be happy with the fact that there'll be a completely different group of kids there each week? (same question applies for the 5 year old I guess!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses, the set up where we go in Val D'Isere is pretty good, the nursery take them over to the snow garden for the morning and then back at lunchtime and entertain them until 5pm.

When my 5 year old first started she had wobble 1 day and they brought her back, but didn't cancel the rest of the lessons. I will check the policy though (good shout, thanks) as it would be a complete waste of money if they did with no refund.

The fact that I am worried probably says it all so I think I will cut the lessons down. I want them to enjoy it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you're being very realistic in reducing it - even with my 6-yr old at ESF competition level he only did half days and took sat/sun off in 2-week trips. Full days aren't necessarily fun for the kids, and I take the view that its their holiday as well. Imagine even as an adult that every hour of every day skiing for 3 weeks was spent in ski school - I'm not sure that would qualify as much fun (maybe I'm not as technique-obsessed as I should be!).

In most resorts there's so much other stuff to do - swimming, sledging, skating etc. that a few days and afternoons off to enjoy it makes it a great holiday. Whilst mine love skiing, they tend to come home raving about the non-skiing stuff!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You may find that both kids want a nap in the afternoon, especially the 3.5 year old, even if they haven't been taking naps for a while. Full-time ski school for 3 weeks is a lot at that age, and they are more likely to pick up a bug/cold if they over do it.
I teach lots of siblings of those ages, and generally what we do is split a 3 hr lesson, with the little one having the 1st hour when they have more energy. They might do 3 days in a row, but not a full week without a break from lessons. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skinanny wrote:
You may find that both kids want a nap in the afternoon, especially the 3.5 year old, even if they haven't been taking naps for a while. Full-time ski school for 3 weeks is a lot at that age, and they are more likely to pick up a bug/cold if they over do it.
I teach lots of siblings of those ages, and generally what we do is split a 3 hr lesson, with the little one having the 1st hour when they have more energy. They might do 3 days in a row, but not a full week without a break from lessons. Very Happy

+1

Also Xmas is a lot colder. At 3-5 we went mornings only, often with a nap or quite time in the pm and factor in a day off at least a week due to storm or illness/fatigue. And they really really feel the cold.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry, just to be clear, I am looking at morning lessons only then crèche in the afternoons. Not even I would do full day lessons everyday, too much like hard work!

Balance of wanting the kids to get into skiing and get to a stage where I can take them up the mountain myself versus being a pushy parent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think 3 weeks a long time with kids and that goes far beyond just skiing. 3 weeks of crappy french accommodation and food at an age where they thrive on routine and home comforts could make for crankiness...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think 3 weeks a long time with kids and that goes far beyond just skiing. 3 weeks of crappy french accommodation and food at an age where they thrive on routine and home comforts could make for crankiness...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to get them up the mountain skiing with you as fast as possible, then what about 2 hrs private lessons a day? With my local ESF it's not vastly more expensive than full day ski school, and they progress much faster. Maybe a bit extravagant for the youngest, but mine eldest started private lessons at 4y11m and progressed very rapidly. 3 seasons later we struggle to keep up (tho powder still thwarts him a bit!).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Or conversely, three weeks is a nice long time to get INTO a new skiing routine Happy Plus the OP has potentially booked into some nice swanky chalet/apartment/hotel so won't have to cope with 'crappy french accommodation and food'.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The five year old will probably be fine skiing, though it will make a difference if there are other English speaking kid(s) and they can make a little friend. In fact towards the end of three weeks you will probably be happy to ski some lazy blues with them in the afternoon. The younger one is going to be the issue. Unlikely to be strong enough to ski for a morning and/or the teacher is going to have to work very hard with the pole. If the two of them are together in the afternoon that will help. Explain to them well in advance what is going to happen, take them with you when you go to confirm the lessons. And if you say you will see them at lunch, make sure you do. And also, like all kids, they will want to see you, seeing them so make the effort to ski back for lunch where you think you will see them.
snow report
Mine both started to ski at around 3+ years. They both coped with one week of Morning ski school in Switzerland that was ski garden skiing lessons with a break during the morning for a snack. I wouldn't have wanted them to do afternoons as well, they skied the afternoons with our friends and their similarly aged children in the afternoon. If you are going for three weeks and want a suggestion, why not do something like the morning sessions on the first and third week and let them ski with you the rest of the time? However, whatever advice you get only you know what your kids might be mature enough to cope with.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy