Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The fabled and promised "home run" blue piste at LDA?

Poster: A snowHead
This year's VTT map shows an "out of bounds" area for a new resort return piste.

Is it going to be the fabled, long-awaited blue run back to resort?

Surely not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a presentation of future plans in late April where this was due to be covered. I'm not sure what was said.

A lot of locals are dead against it as it will screw up some great off piste back to resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B, thanks. I can see where the locals are coming from, given the size of the area which has been marked-off on the VTT map. Not having a blue run back to resort has been a bit of a negative point for LDA for some skiers, though, hasn't it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess it has although there is a red now at the Diable end, that does get a bit sketchy and doesn't have snow making. A blue would need to snake down a lot as it's very steep. It would take up most of the Grand Pente I suspect. I'll ask Charlotte she was at the but is very much against it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B, yes - it's a steep slope that will require the run to snake down. Having said that, Desmoiselles or whatever the green's called is hideous and the blacks are fairly steep (especially for tired 'ickle legs at the end of the day). I expect it would still be carnage on any new run, though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Having said that, Desmoiselles or whatever the green's called is hideous and the blacks are fairly steep (especially for tired 'ickle legs at the end of the day)

But there are perfickly good lifts. It's a shame if some good accessible off piste has to be sacrificed by the apparent determination of so many skiers to ski down, regardless of ability. When I've skied in LDA - 3 or 4 times now - I've mostly ended up by downloading and it's not kept me awake nights
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my 55 days or so there this season at the end of the day I came down the Demoiselles once (I had a learner with me who insisted, Lift twice I think (due to circumstances on those days), Valentine about 40 times and the Diable Blacks the rest (not easy to get back across from there to mine).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://ete.les2alpes.com/plan-des-pistes-de-vtt.html
Indeed it does say construction of the new return piste. When you zoom in.
So likely blue or red??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W, Definitely Blue, no point in a red there is already one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I know there are decent lifts. I used to take one each day I was at Club Med rather than take the green home run, but it would still be nice to have a blue run back to resort. There is plenty of accessible off piste elsewhere in LDA AFAIK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yup - looks like it runs straight through a nice bit of off-piste. TBH the main reason I would choose to ski at LDA would be if the weather is crap so the interesting lifts at ADH and La Grave are shut. The area immediately above the resort at LDA is quite steep and the lifts often stay open there when others are shut so you can have some fun on a day which would otherwise be a write-off. turning a big piece of that off piste into a blue run takes that advantage away Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Word from Charlotte is that this is definitely happening, probably started (she's in UK atm). It will take 2 summers and one winter to build at a cost of 13m€ and is the biggest earth moving project ever in France for a ski area. Things will be messy next Winter I'm sure. Grand Pente (the off piste down the front) is OK and will not be damaged, but Diable 2 (what was L'Y) and the area that was formerly the Sapins piste will go. The end result won't be a wide piste though and will still be pretty steep in places.

Does seem a lot of money and work for something that's not a wide piste. If it was like the red perhaps, but that is probably not possible.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On this photo I took in January I think it will come down the left hand side (as you look at it) which is where Diable 2 is now (to the left of the trees). Diable 1 is down the middle and the red on the right. It will have to start near the top of the Cretes.

L2A
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
13m pays for a hell of a lot of lessons for the death before download crew to learn to ski properly. A Terra formed blue will just be crappy switchbacks anyway unless they're gonna blast a few hundred metres of rock out of the plateau to create a faux gradient.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes, it would pay for a lot of lessons but you know they'll never taken them! Rather snowplough down a mogul black than download. It'll be interesting to see what the piste will be like. Lot of money, mind. Claude B, thanks for the picture and for charlotte's comments. I read on her twitter feed that she is experiencing the delights of parking tickets in Bath.
snow report
Claude B,
not sure about your photo. On this map it shows the area for the new piste is between Jandri Express and Village 1800 chair.

http://ete.les2alpes.com/images/info_pages/plan-des-pistes-de-vtt-2014-293.pdf

So I would guess this area is not on above photo. Correct me if I am wrong though Wink
snow report
Tom W, The information came from Charlotte (easiski) who lives there and was at the CdA presentation on the plans. The MTB map does't agree with that I agree, it's to the left of the photo. The Valentine which they wouldn't touch covers half the area they show anyway.
ski holidays
This may be an urban myth but I have been told that the are rules in France that say there must be a safe i.e. blue or green, run back to a resort so that in the event that weather causes lifts to be closed beginners can get down the hill safely. If there is no such run then they must proactively advertise the fact that the area is not suitable for beginners. As I say, probably an urban myth but it does have some logic to it. Probably explains why Val d'Isere has blues that have a very distinct hue to them.
snow report
Gaza, L2A already has a green down anyway. A red also and several blacks, just no blues.
ski holidays
There is a green at LDA already though.
snow report
There is a green. The fact that it is the single worst run I've ever been on in my life (though Happy Valley in St Anton at rush hour pushes it close) should be more than enough for most people who don't like the fall line to download.
snow report
Although I've skied about 25 weeks there I'd never skied Demoiselles (the green) top to bottom until this year when my step son on his 2nd day skiing ever insisted. It was about 4.30 on a Friday in late March so a pretty busy period but tbh it wasn't that bad, not too busy at all.
ski holidays
Quote:

It will take 2 summers and one winter to build at a cost of 13m€ and is the biggest earth moving project ever in France for a ski area

Good grief we think very carefully here in the Lake District and Pennines before moving a protruding stone off a run.

How did their Environmental Impact Assessment justify such an extreme level of intervention ! No wonder skiing is getting so easy in the Alps Shocked
ski holidays
The works for the new blue run down in the resort have started. It's an immense project, 45 trucks are moving thousands of tons of earth to build this new run. It would be at least 7 or 8 m wide, so not another snake path down. This is something we need as people don't like to come down on a lift! It will take a lot of time to build it, it will cost a lot of money, but hopefully it will give LDA a new boost!!!
latest report
tiptopski, some photos would be good! Cheers.
snow conditions
how do i put pics in please?? i walked up to Les Cretes this morning to take some pcs of the progress!
latest report
tiptopski,see here

I think photos need to be hosted elsewhere and then you post them here using image tags
snow report
tiptopski, lots of ways click snowbase at top, brown link LH/centre. Snow media zone, create a login (use your normal SH details for convenience). Click on upload photos once logged in and follow logical instructions. Or post to Flickr and cut and paste in their given link, or use square brackets around img and /img either side of a weblink to a picture.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tiptopski, if you work out how to insert piccies you get a degree in computer science.
ski holidays
well i will never get a degree in computer science, that's for sure!! I made it very easy, i uploaded the pictures to our website (pics and vids). If you look at the slideshow you will see the pictures of the progress. As you can see, they already scraped on the frontface, they are working hard on Les Cretes to make an entrance for the new blue run and they are also working to make Jandri 2, the green path between Bellecombes and the white eggs, better so you get a bit more speed to make it to the end without pushing!!

Sorry to do it this way: http://www.tiptopskicoaching.com/pics-and-vids
snow conditions
Quote:

lots of ways click snowbase at top, brown link LH/centre. Snow media zone, create a login (use your normal SH details for convenience). Click on upload photos once logged in and follow logical instructions. Or post to Flickr and cut and paste in their given link, or use square brackets around img and /img either side of a weblink to a picture.

or, far simpler, can't you just become a super-snowhead and use the "post with a pic" button?
ski holidays
tiptopski, So to complete one of picture posting lessons you can take one of those photos and do right click properties and post the link with square bracket and img tags around it here as per this example:

Ta...da!!
latest report
well guys, as you are all so good at it, i don't even have to try Very Happy

I did the work walking up there (no lifts open yet to Les Cretes) so a bit of work to see the pictures for you Happy
snow report
tiptopski, the thing is I haven't a clue which photos I'm meant to have picked to illustrate this thread with, I have never visited the area, I was just interested to see pics of a piste being made from scratch and saw the picture posting issue as an also ran that I could spend Idle time helping with. The example posted above I just picked because it looked a reasonably industrial shot that might be the new piste construction - did I pick right?
ski holidays
That one is from near the bottom of the Cretes as is the first one below. The bottom one below is probably from resort level. I think the run will start from quite a bit further up the Cretes, perhaps near the pylon for the Jandri Express which can be seen on the photo Megamum posted, not sure though. And yes it is a long walk up there, thanks Happy

snow report
tiptopski, thanks for the photos.
ski holidays
to explain: so the piste will start on Les Cretes, just below the new travelator they've build last year and will than go down underneath the Jandri Express. Not sure where exactly it will end as it seems it's gonna split somewhere at the bottom.
when there is more progress, i will post some more!
snow report
I skied in L2A for a day last December (working trip so a flying visit) and we ascended/descended on - I think - the Jandri. Next season we are going en famille and the nearest lift to our chalet will be the Diable, so will this new blue piste be at that end of town or somewhere else Puzzled I can't quite make it out on the photos above.
ski holidays
It won't be finished next year, it will take 2 summers of work before it's ready!
So if you go en famille in 2016 you will be able to make your way back direction diable!
Later this summer i will post some more obvious pictures when works have more progress!
ski holidays
tiptopski, thanks for clarifying Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy