Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Careers advice for young skiers!

Poster: A snowHead
JackSkier, Yeah, but I don't think the US qualification is considered equal in Europe, shears with the UIAGM badge you can guide anywhere.

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff though, I just looked into the possibilities of it a couple of years ago. If you're serious, you could do worse than get a job at somewhere like Glenmore Lodge for a year or two, rack up some days on the hill and learn from the old-timers up there.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I wouldn't even consider working for him to start with. I've only made that mistake once. Never again do I take an offer without asking some question about their work environment. If the expectation is exactly 9-5 chained to the desk, I decline. I prefer a more flexible attitude, even if it means slightly longer working hour or slightly lower pay. In my own experience, that inflexible attitude often goes hand in hand with lack of willingness to embrace new technology. It would mean boring work.

That's fairly amusing, considering I haven't worked in a fixed office for 20 years and have worked with technology start-ups for the last 10. But do keep tilting at windmills.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dogwatch,
Quote:
Anybody I ever found VPNing into a server from a restaurant would be fired. Some things require proper concentration.
Oh dear. So how do you know (s)he id not able to concentrate while sitting in a restaurant? I find some of my best ideas come while sipping cappuccino and eating cake.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Having ideas" is very pleasant and pretty much the opposite of working on a server.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dogwatch, huh? I'm not sure what kind of start ups you work with, but creative thinking and interacting with other people while you are at it is quite an important bit of what my start up does.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes. But that is not what we were talking about. Never mind.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dogwatch wrote:
"Having ideas" is very pleasant and pretty much the opposite of working on a server.

That's some "start up" where having idea is so abstract that it's the opposite of working on a server.

Especially in an era even hospitals and banks don't mind their staff VPN into servers.

I have no need to tilt at such paper windmill any more. They've largely fallen, washed away by the rising tide of technology.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Working on a production server is following a plan, if you are doing it right. There is nothing creative about it.

I did not say no VPN into a server. I spend hours every week remoting into servers. I said not while at a restaurant, because in a distracting environment it is too easy to make mistakes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dogwatch, maybe I missed something, but I don't think abc mentioned what kind of server she attaches to from the mountain. If it controls a nuclear power station then I agree that the mountain restaurant might not be the best place to do this from, although as long as it isn't Mooserwirt maybe it's not so bad. If it hosts some test software for whatever it is that abc does then I would really not have a problem with it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dogwatch wrote:
I spend hours every week remoting into servers.

Did anyone care WHERE you were remoting from?

And if the remote protocal includes support for "hand-held/mobile device", what kind of environment do you think were expected the remote originates?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
I spend hours every week remoting into servers.

Did anyone care WHERE you were remoting from?

And if the remote protocal includes support for "hand-held/mobile device", what kind of environment do you think were expected the remote originates?

The thing about a "protocol" is that you don't know what kind of device is at the other end, so long as it obeys the protocol. That's the point of a protocol. For instance, have you looked at the User-Agent string returned by IE11? It's "Mozilla".

It isn't unusual for VPN or other remote access servers to operate a white-list of client IP addresses and those operating those systems evidently care where access comes from.

As for others, corporate clients certainly care if mistakes are made and often expect an account of how and why they were made and what action is to be taken so it won't happen again. It's all very nice to swoop in and fix a problem and all is smiles. The issue is the risk of causing further damage. Anyone who has done this for any length of time knows that can happen, sometimes does happen and the consequences can be major. This is why poking around on a production server from a mountain restaurant is a lousy idea, even if this time it worked out.

I'm not going to comment further in this thread, because it's getting repetitive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang wrote:
dogwatch, maybe I missed something, but I don't think abc mentioned what kind of server she attaches to from the mountain. If it controls a nuclear power station then I agree that the mountain restaurant might not be the best place to do this from, although as long as it isn't Mooserwirt maybe it's not so bad. If it hosts some test software for whatever it is that abc does then I would really not have a problem with it.

Exactly!

dogwatch was making a blanket statement that he would fire anyone who does anything like logging in from a mountain restuarant. And he made it clear he made no exception to that!

Well, he's well behind the time that's all I'd say.

Quote:

I'm not going to comment further in this thread, because it's getting repetitive

Yes, it's getting repetitive. It's an old-guard attitude that's largely gone. Did you notice you're the only one who's defending it?

Still, you can go on thinking that way. You'll always be able to get people who can't find other jobs to stay with you after all.

There's no point in debating it. Neither NickJ nor I would want to work for dogwatch. (only that I would make a point of finding that out BEFORE I start working for anyone) That's the end of the story.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 14-06-14 22:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did an install while watching the telly last night - should I be looking for a new job?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musher, don't bother. No one is going to hire someone as irresponsible as you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok, we get it... Some people are like dogwatch and don't like distracting noise and people around when trying to concentrate on something important, whereas others are confident that they can tune all that stuff out and get the job done properly whilst sitting in a mountain restaurant.

So that's software done. Any other industries/career paths that enable people to spend more time skiing than the average UK annual leave allowance?

Although you couldn't do it very often obviously, there are some financial jobs that require at least 3 months "gardening leave", and I read somewhere that social media (linked in) etc. is making it much harder for all industries to stop former employees from retaining contact with clients, and so lengthy "gardening leave" might become more widespread (no idea if that's true or not as I'm not part of the world anymore - I took the living up a mountain, running a chalet option).
snow conditions
From where I can see, there're only a few profession that makes it difficult to get leave to ski (tax preparation, teaching).

The rest of all the professions out there, there's no hardship. It's up to the individual job one end up taking.

If you end up working for dogwatch, your options will be limited. If you work in a small firm like QB, your options can be somewhat curtailed also. And if you're self-employed and just starting to build client base, I think you'll be nuts to drop off for a month to go skiing.

But if you work in most average jobs of most profession, it's really down to the individual company you're working for. Many do seek out the best working terms with that in mind. I didn't used to think much about that. I loved my job so much that if I couldn't go skiing as much as I like, that's fine. But I'm getting to that stage of my profession that I can have my cake and eat it too. So why not?
snow report
Quote:

From where I can see, there're only a few profession that makes it difficult to get leave to ski (tax preparation, teaching)

Audit. No holiday busy season Jan-March is pretty standard.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy