Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How obsessed are you.....

Poster: A snowHead
.....with the snow?

I only started out in 2008 aged 33, the first 3 years were tough, lessons in the morning and chalet in the afternoon, the thought of being in the snow outweighed the actual being in the snow then a few years ago it just clicked and since then I've been ramping up the number of trips to the point the Mrs (who introduced me to the snow in the first place) reckons I'm "obsessed"

For next season I have already booked and paid for:-

3 weeks consecutively with the wife and kids in Val Di over Xmas / New year / first week in Jan

Long weekend in Val Di 1st weekend in Feb with work

8 days boys trip to Niesko 3rd week in Feb

Another boys long weekend in Val Di 3rd weekend in March

And I'm still working out if I can squeeze more in around a day job.

How obsessed are you?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amateur. You' re only just dabbling with hobbyist level.

Actually that's pretty impressive assuming you hold onto job, wife and sproglets.

Having tried it extensively I reckon the max you can fit in while retaining a full time job, and assuming a little flexibility with holiday time is around 40- 50 days. Maybe a pinch more at 50- 60 if you're within true weekend warrior distance. Though that ends up at roughly 3 days a week all season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm impressed, how an earth do you manage that? I have a (3rd) wife and can't afford another divorce, 2 young kids (3 and 5) and a full on job but there must be a way and I'm all ears......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bah, good going trainee snowboard jedi, but try 12 seasons in the mountains working any job you can to get that next turn in, giving up any pretence at a career or "normal" life just for that next run, that next peak. Obsessed, me, never!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well Easter plus 4 days leave gives you up to 10 days on snow, resorts are still open May day etc etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clearly not enough! Note to self ..... must try harder.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trainee snowboard jedi, lightweight.

We both changed jobs and moved country to make 60 ish days a year easier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought holiday apartment in the Alps, started ski instructor exams, gave up career to teach skiing, started small ski school. Now spend 12-14 weeks in the mountains and 60+ days skiing indoors.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife keeps asking me if I am obsessed and I have only started skiing this year (went twice)

She has given me permission to buy an apartment providing I pay for everything and school for daughter for a term Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obsessed but I can only have two skiing trips every year due to living in the wrong country...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,

Yeah, but how often do you take your boots to bed or cuddle your skis Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ever thought of racing on plastic with training say another 80 days at least.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quit my job, moved to the bergs..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread is dangerous - buying apartments in the snow is not good for your wallet.....but it feeds the obsession
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
trainee snowboard jedi, looks like we'll be in Val the same time as you - we'll have to arrange to catch some turns together, or at least a beer or 3 at the Cafe Face.
ski holidays
Wow very impressed. Running my own company I stupidly thought it would be more flexible and allow me to get more holidays in. whilst work is now flexible ish, the wife is not so. She allows me 2 ski holidays as long as she gets 2 summer holidays Happy. She has been good next year and allowed me to go to Lemans 24hr for a week Happy
ski holidays
True obsessives may have many other symptoms. Mine include.
1. Snowhead forum posting;
2. Another forum posting;
3. Dreaming about skiing-esp in the off season (usually involves being at the mountains but nature, lifts, other people and an inability to find my boots/skis stops me from actually getting on the snow---arrghhh!).
4. Kit purchasing and kit review reading;
5. Lying in bed in UK on Sat mornings at home with Mr P watching extreme ski clips and movies... realise we are the only middle aged skiers we know who can name all the famous extreme free skiers and would even recognise a few in lift queues!
6. An annual subscription to snow-forecast.com (even though it's mostly wrong), and a daily check of the weather in all my fave resorts from October to April, and in the case of Zermatt-all year round.
7. Fantasy ski chalet shopping via internet estate agents;
8. Lottery ticket purchasing in the hope that I can fund the above;
9. Feeling disappointed that I only got 28 days in this season (spoilt? Moi?).
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Packed up work last year at 55, partly to give more skiing time. 9 weeks this winter, 10 weeks booked for next Happy
ski holidays
I'll be taking skis on our summer camping trip. Embarassed
snow report
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
I have a (3rd) wife

Quote:
work is now flexible ish, the wife is not so.

Have you learned nothing Puzzled
snow report
maggi, he learned he REALLY likes wedding cake.
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

She allows me 2 ski holidays as long as she gets 2 summer holidays Happy.

Tell her there is good shopping to be had in Zermatt Wink
ski holidays
meh wrote:
I'll be taking skis on our summer camping trip. Embarassed

Something I am undecided about.
We take boots, but never really sure about piling yet more crud into a heavily laden car with camping/climbing/fishing gear. Also because we park in slightly remote places (mainly due to the climbing) I'm reluctant to leave skis in the car - they're difficult to disguise. Only tend to get 1-2 days on a glacier and so hiring skis or a board doesn't seem prohibitive and saves space & hassle.
snow conditions
Wow, you people with 20+ days a year make me green with envy! I usually get in 3 trips a year but never more than about 11/12 days: week + 2 long weekends.

From Perty's list:
True obsessives may have many other symptoms. Mine include.
1. Snowhead forum posting; TICK
2. Another forum posting; SOMETIMES
3. Dreaming about skiing-esp in the off season. TICK
4. Kit purchasing and kit review reading; TICK
5. Lying in bed in UK on Sat mornings at home with Mr P watching extreme ski clips and movies... realise we are the only middle aged skiers we know who can name all the famous extreme free skiers and would even recognise a few in lift queues! Lying in bed on Sat mornings?? You don't have little kids then...
6. An annual subscription to snow-forecast.com (even though it's mostly wrong), THAT'S JUST WRONG and a daily check of the weather in all my fave resorts from October to April, and in the case of Zermatt-all year round. TICK
7. Fantasy ski chalet shopping via internet estate agents; TICK
8. Lottery ticket purchasing in the hope that I can fund the above; TICK - JUST FOR THE DREAM, IF NOT A REALISTIC MATHEMATICAL CHANCE
9. Feeling disappointed that I only got 28 days in this season (spoilt? Moi?). BITCH. Toofy Grin
snow report
Waiting till nightfall and then measuring tiny London garden with skis to see if it might be worth getting a tilting deck installed and if done, how many turns I could then get in top to bottom.
Answer: Six very, very tight ones or one wide radius
snow report
I've not been sking all that long, but will admit that I'm slightly obsessed. On the cards for the rest of 2014 for me is:

Landgraaf - last weekend in June
Tux - Visiting rellies in Southern Germany over the summer and planning on a morning or two at the glacier which is a couple of hours drive away from where they live
Either Landgraaf or Tignes - summer race training, not yet decided
Maybe pre-season tune-up with Inside Out (if I can get away with it - OH is a boarder so depends if I can find a suitable 'creche' for him. I'd be in trouble if I left him at home as the dates clash with his birthday). Very Happy
Austria - long weekend (turning into a week at the rate we are going) in December for a friend's 40th Birthday

I think that's everything..

BUT, possibly the weirdest answer on this thread is that, on Sunday, while watching my OH eat a plate of chips, when he picked two up on his fork in a perfectly parallel fashion, my immediate thought was "ooh, skis". I need help Embarassed
snow report
My skis have not yet been put away, they are still in my car ready for a trip to the Tux at a moments notice! Holidays were booked for Chrimble/New Year as I paid the bill for the last 2 weeks and the same goes for my February week - booked as I paid for my week in February. I was thinking about getting a summer season ticket for Hintertux but it is bloody expensive, day tickets will have to suffice. So 3 weeks booked for 2014/2015 and still got another 4 weeks to sort out!

Booking a long weekend in Sölden at the end of October to watch the opening World Cup race and ski with the super stars. My season ticket will start again on October 1st!
snow conditions
How do people afford all this? Must be some high-rollers on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If its snow you're obsessed with then this is the place to be
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,160696,page=10 snowHead
snow conditions
queen bodecia, if you live in Derbyshire, you live in the wrong county, never mind the wrong country (Dobby from Nottingham [originally])
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

When I lived in Scotland I worked as a liftie for a few hours each day when I went skiing so got to ski for free, I did basi 1 last summer so have been paid to teach this winter and obviously got lift pass etc. paid for.

I have done 51 days in a season one year while working full time and was absolutely knackered by May, I could probably have got to 60 with available snow but I think I had skied every weekend since the start of December and just couldn't face getting up so early for another weekend and driving for 2 hrs.
ski holidays
oh and obviously would never live somewhere I couldn't ski at weekends, was lucky enough to be born in Scotland wink but skiing influenced my move to Munich and will do so for all future moves.
ski holidays
Gave up Crack n Smack for skiing...lol.........just kidding NehNeh
....................Well let's see...
78 pages worth of forum & counting..........
Started skiing in 2011
Had 35 days this season, started BASI Instructor Quals & a full season planned commencing 1st Dec
Am I obsessed/addicted? you tell me Madeye-Smiley
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2538108#2538108
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Point Break" Laughing
snow conditions
HoneyBunny, I live in the mountains and work full time about 80kms south east of Munich - as part of my contract negotiations I work a split week - 3 days in the office and 2 days at home. The home office days in the ski season can lead to some very long days but it is worth it. I'm not paid as much as I could be working as a translator say for the European Patent Office in Munich, but I have more than enough to get buy and live fairly frugally in summer. Plus have a second job managing holiday lets (cleaner/manager).

It's all a question of being proactive about time management and deciding what your priorities are money-wise. I rent, have no kids and live alone therefore I can please myself! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Does looking for jobs in Geneva so you can spend more time skiing count as obsessed ?
ski holidays
My wife thinks that looking at ski forums in June is completely obsessed .......
latest report
Skis leant up in a very visible position where I can't help but admire them regularly.
New goggles just delivered.
Reading this thread.
' nuff said.
latest report
Watching 9 out of ten cats does countdown and spotting "tignes" from the letters straight away?
ski holidays
hxbro, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy