Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercises to stretch out tight calves?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Hope a good bank holiday weekend was had by all.

Can anyone recommend any exercises to stretch out tight calves? I got some new boots on Sunday and the fitter noted this was something I could work on. I recognise what he said, as I am definitely guilty of skiing in the backseat sometimes (balanced on my toes and then over compensating by sticking my rear end out). Since I was a child, I've walked around on my tip-toes when I'm not wearing shoes, as it's uncomfortable to put my heels on the floor with every step. But I need to fix this if I'm going to correct my skiing posture and find the balance sweet spot Smile

I've been hanging my heels off the edge of a step and stretching down and I think it is helping a bit so far. Anyone got any other stretches that might help? I have found a few suggestions online but I'm having difficulty visualising them.

TIA

C
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
littleclaire, those calf raises/drops sound good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
littleclaire, try one of these http://prostretch.com I got one and it's the best stretch I've ever managed to get
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are two calf muscles you need to stretch - soleus and gastrocnemius (?sp). One needs a straight leg, the other needs bent at the knee. There are loads of illustrations on the net.

Your problem sounds very extreme - do you wear shoes with heels all the time? If so, one obvious step is to stop! Or at least go barefoot or in very flat slippers at home.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh - and hold each stretch at least 30 seconds. I do 30 seconds on each of the muscles, on each leg, in the 2 minutes my electric toothbrush takes (with a useful bleep after each 30 seconds to remind me when to change).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
There are two calf muscles you need to stretch - soleus and gastrocnemius (?sp). One needs a straight leg, the other needs bent at the knee. There are loads of illustrations on the net.

Your problem sounds very extreme - do you wear shoes with heels all the time? If so, one obvious step is to stop! Or at least go barefoot or in very flat slippers at home.

That's a good summary for calf stretches. Spelling spot on . Stretches will be more effective if warmed up but agree doing them during teeth brushing a good idea

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies everyone.

dobby - wasn't sure what to call that stretch but 'calf drop' sounds like a decent description.

sarah - that certainly looks like an interesting contraption. Thanks to eBay, I can get it in the UK too. Thank you.

pam w - I think I must have been searching for the wrong thing, as yesterday I could find plenty of text explaining the exercises, but no pictures. Today's search proved more fruitful. I do wear heels in the office but almost never outside. I think I should dig out some flats and wear those instead. I'm guessing the problem is more genetic, but certainly not helped by the heels. I have crazy hyper-mobile ankles in the opposite direction (can put feet flat on the floor when I sit/lie down with legs outstretched). I should have taken up ballet as a hobby, not skiing Smile I like the idea of using the electric toothbrush as a timer too, great idea, thank you.

Jonathan Bell - I always thought it was stretches that were meant to warm you up? How can I warm up before stretching? Sorry, as you can probably tell, this is not my forte!

Just to add, before anyone gets the idea that they are 'talking' to a couch potato, I do cardio on the exercise bike a couple of times a week, I play about on rollerblades when the weather is good, and I ski 2/3 times a month in the fridge at MK. I like to think that I'm relatively fit; BMI is 19.5.

If anyone has happened upon this thread as they have the same issue, I think this site has some good illustrations: http://www.stretching-exercises-guide.com/calf-stretches.html
I'm a watch-and-learn kinda person and find pictures really useful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I warmup by either jogging or on an exercise bike before stretching.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also don't forget to stretch out AFTER exercising.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I live in a three-storey house so have normally been up and down quite a few stairs before cleaning teeth (I do it after breakfast). But I also do a series of exercises before I get out of bed - so not warmed up at all, but if I don't do them then, they don't get done. It's a habit. I hug both knees, then both separately, then do a piriformis stretch. http://tinyurl.com/pg4a8pq
Takes around 5 minutes. I do ankle circles at the same time - because these days, if I get out of bed without having twiddled my ankles I hobble like an even older woman than I am!

If your calf muscles are very tight you could find that there are some trigger points in them which will make it difficult to stretch effectively. In that case a couple of sports massages (whilst probably excruciatingly painful wink ) could help a great deal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a way of keeping your calf muscles loose, that i was shown by a sports masseur after a sports massage (and yes, Pam w, it was excruciatingly painful!)
Get a old tennis ball, and while putting weight on it with one foot, very slowly roll it along the arch of your foot.
Be careful to keep the other foot firmly on the ground and stay balanced. Remember to roll the ball very slowly.
If i remember to do this a couple of times a week, it cures my tight calf muscles!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you can also use a foam roller of some sort on the calf muscles themselves, of course. If they've got bad trigger points just the weight of the leg will be enough to show you where they are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ - I think I had it the wrong way round, I'm really showing myself up here Embarassed In my defense, it's been a long time since I've done any structured exercise.. School days are but a memory. I alway stretch before and after the exercise bike, but think a few minutes of jogging prior to that will now be added into the mix. Thank you.

pam w - I'm trying to find time to incorporate the stretches into my daily routine. So far, teeth brushing and kettle boiling are suitable opportunities to do them, and I might try during advert breaks if I'm watching the TV this evening. As you say, it has to become habit. I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do while behind a desk during the working day.. that would really get things moving. Sports massage sounds a bit extreme, but I'm a big wuss, so perhaps I'll try a bit of self-guided stretching first. Have you had one yourself?

britsound - Does it need to be an old tennis ball? I have a box of brand new ones, but maybe they are too stiff? If I was to man up and go for a sports massage, is there any recovery time? Could I easily get on my skis the same/next day?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
littleclaire, the purpose of a warm up is to raise heartbeat and get blood pumping around the body.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
littleclaire, a new tennis ball will do. You definitely shouldn't wait till you go skiing to deal with any muscle problems - if you need a sports massage, get one now, or a couple, and do lots of stretching. I had to have a couple of sessions of calf massage because of a particular calf muscle problem, caused by some ill advised and ill prepared exercise. rolling eyes It was very sore, but it did the job. Think of it this way. If you don't have problematic spots in your muscles the massage will just be pleasantly sore and helpful. If you DO have such spots, it will be extremely sore, not very pleasant, but absolutely essential. If you have flexible ankles and hips you can massage your calves yourself, lying in bed. Use the heel of one foot to massage the calf of the other. You'll soon feel if you have sore spots - keep at them.

Sitting at a desk isn't too inducive to calf stretching but plenty of quick stretches for neck and shoulders. e.g. clasp fingers, then stretch up, fingers intertwined, palms up, arms straight beside your ears, and try to take the shoulder blades down into the back (ie don't hunch up).
latest report
Frosty the Snowman - I guess stretching does get the blood pumping (a little bit more than being stationary), so my approach wasn't entirely wrong. Just not quite 100% there...

pam w - Sorry, I should have been clear. I go to MK snozone a few times a month, and was wondering whether I could have a sports massage the day before. I usually do at least 3 hours on the slope (5 hours last Saturday). From what I have gleaned via Uncle Google, muscles feel tender for a couple of days after a massage so I think realistically, I would need to leave a few days in between. What do you think? As I say, I'll try some exercises myself first and see what progress I can make on my own. I'm definitley not ruling out the massage, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

so I think realistically, I would need to leave a few days in between

yes, that would probably be best. My masseur also told me to do LOTS of icing on the muscle after the massage.
latest report
sarah wrote:
littleclaire, try one of these http://prostretch.com I got one and it's the best stretch I've ever managed to get

+1. No other method gets close!
snow report
littleclaire, I've learnt the hard way, I used to be fine about warming up and stretching but didn't stretch out at the end of hockey training sessions and matches.... Then ended up pulling a muscles the next time I played on one occasion despite stretching out well and from not a lot... The Physio was the one that showed me the error of my ways.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
sarah wrote:

+1. No other method gets close!

Cool Thanks to spyderjon for showing and recommending it to me Very Happy
latest report
I thought I was pretty good at warming up and stretching calves before training.

But I managed to ping something in the left calf on the running machine this evening. Physio at 9.30 tomorrow Sad
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I thought I was pretty good at warming up and stretching calves before training.

But I managed to ping something in the left calf on the running machine this evening. Physio at 9.30 tomorrow Sad

IIRC you tweaked that a few years ago in Verbier hucking that 6 inch drop-off Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pam w - god, it sounds like torture! Shocked I've read that the tighter the muscles are, the more sore it is. I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive home afterwards! Lol!

spyderjon and sarah - just popped back to eBay to buy a prostretch and they've sold out during the course of the day. I'm off to look harder.. hopefully I can get one in the UK. Will report back and let you know how I get on with it.

NickyJ - I don't like pain, so if a proper warm up will help me avoid that then I'm converted Very Happy When I got back from Tignes in March, I did consider finding a physio to show me some exercises to stay ski-fit.. maybe I should explore that. I just worry that I'll do something wrong and cause myself more mischief...

Mosha Marc - sorry to hear that, hope it's nothing serious. Good luck with the physio tomorrow, let us know how you get on. How's that for hammering home to me the importance of a proper warm up. Sorry that it was at your expense!

C
snow report
littleclaire, My sports masseur comes to the house. It hurts but i was ok the next day
snow report
littleclaire, sports massages can be incredibly painful, but they really do help. I have had a number especial while trying to rehab from one injury or another.
ski holidays
littleclaire, try amazon Very Happy
ski holidays
[quote]
Does it need to be an old tennis ball? I have a box of brand new ones, but maybe they are too stiff?

A new one is fine, only suggested an old one, as it tends to spoil it for playing purposes.
It seems counter intuitive that rolling a ball on the soles of your feet would help your calf muscles but it really works!
After a few weeks, the progression is on to a golf ball (only for the brave)
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

IIRC you tweaked that a few years ago in Verbier hucking that 6 inch drop-off Toofy Grin

Landed it though dude wink

The physio hurt like buggery. I don't think it helps that she's a mate so isn't in to playing nicely. She did confirm that there was a fair bit of old scar tissue in there from that monster huck in Verbier, so she warmed it all up with a bit of a massage and then set to work freeing everything up.

After I stopped crying she taped up the calf to keep the fascia away from the muscle to try and avoid them sticking together. I've to keep working the muscle, take anti-inflammatories and ice it for the next three/four days and not to run for a few days. Cycling's okay though.

In future she suggested warming up, stretching and using the foam roller on it before running. I'd changed my running style recently; bought a pair of flat running shoes and concentrated on a forefoot plant (try running barefoot and you do this naturally) which has lead to sore calves and probably this small tear. But I think it will improve my skiing as I get used to it; before I've suffered from sore/stiff calves after a long days skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah - Amazon it is, ProStretch purchased, thank you! Very Happy

While I wait for that to arrive, I'll try the tennis ball, britsound. No danger of them being used for actually playing tennis; we bought rackets and balls about two summers ago with the intention of joining the local club, but they've never been taken out of their wrappers Embarassed

Mosha Marc - who needs enemies when you've got friends like yours, eh! If a sports massage can make a grown man cry, then I've got no hope. Pleased to hear you have a plan for convalescence Smile

I definitely think the stretches I've been doing this week are helping. There is quite a bit more movement than before. I'm looking forward to getting my ski boots on in the fridge on Saturday and seeing if there is any positive effect on my technique.

Right, I'm off for a workout...
snow report
Agree with others that a foam roll is great. I always foam roll calves before and after running or gym class and now take it on ski holidays as my 'luxury' item! Amazing what a difference it makes
ski holidays
Stretching when cold, before exercise, can be counterproductive, and perhaps harmful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/7594484/Stretching-before-exercise-is-counter-productive.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22316148
Quote:
We conclude that the usage of SS (static stretching) as the sole activity during warm-up routine should generally be avoided.

It's always better to warm up with some light exercise before stretching.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

so I think realistically, I would need to leave a few days in between

yes, that would probably be best. My masseur also told me to do LOTS of icing on the muscle after the massage.

Interesting. I have a sports massage every couple of weeks. My masseuse is very clear that I should apply heat to the muscles as that is what frees them up. I sometimes pop a hot water bottle behind the tight/knotted bits and it really seems to help. Same as hot stones can loosen up muscles and so help deep tissue massage.

She was also saying this week that for normal people, icing injuries may not be the right thing to do. If you can rest, the research is suggesting that might be the right thing to do.
latest report
Ice is good for those who are doing a LOT of exercise and training as it speeds up the flushing of lactic acid from the muscles and starts the repair of muscle tissue by opening up the blood vessels. The chilling also helps reduce swelling which also assists the recovery.

If, however, you're only doing it a couple of times a week, then the benefits of icing are far less relevant.

Either way, it's heat before and ice after
snow conditions
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam - this foam roller you mention, how big is it? Presumably you are talking about one a bit smaller than the one in these pics..? http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/what-is-a-foam-roller-how-do-i-use-it-and-why-does-it-hurt Puzzled Either that, or you have an impressive ski holiday suitcase!

feef - that's some interesting reading, thank you. I have to say, I am learning A LOT on this forum. I have started jogging around the kitchen while making a cuppa and feeding the cats in the morning before I stretch. Luckily I get up at 5:30 so I don't think I've been caught by any of the neighbours yet!

sugarmoma666 - I am coming round to the idea of a sports massage. I think I am being impatient as no tangible difference made yet by my new stretching exercises; I still really struggled to get my heels down on Saturday. The ProStretch hasn't even arrived yet, so think I should give that a fair trial before subjecting myself to any torture.
snow report
Quote:

I still really struggled to get my heels down on Saturday

can you walk round barefoot in a normal way (ie with heels striking the ground)yet? Walking barefoot all the time in the house might be beneficial. From what you say you've had this problem for years and years - it's not going to be fixed in a week.
latest report
Hi pam w - yes, I do strike the ground with my heels when I'm walking, most of the time. I just tend to revert back to tip-toeing subconsciously, especially first thing in the morning and whenever I'm barefoot. Lightbulb moment - I might dig out some old flat pumps to wear as 'slippers' around the house, as having shoes on does seem to encourage me to walk more flat-footed. Unfortunately, I've been walking like this for the best part of 30-odd years.. so as you say it will take time. I must be more patient, I must be more patient... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I might dig out some old flat pumps to wear as 'slippers' around the house, as having shoes on does seem to encourage me to walk more flat-footed

good idea. And try to wear the flattest possible shoes all the time. Good luck. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy