Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking France cheaply for next season

Poster: A snowHead
My group of friends went sking for the first time in January.We went to Zakopane and all enjoyed it.Me and one of the group then went to Chamonix in March and were blown away by how amazing it was.Now we want to book for next year but i know that some of the group will be looking to do another really cheap resort like Zakopane but the thought of going to somewhere like that after sking in France is very frustrating.

We know they will be put off when they start comparing the prices for places like Bankso compared to France.Is it possible to ski in a really good resort on a budget?Chamonix was very expensive.The first beer we got up the slope was 10.50euro Shocked We could never tell our friends about that Laughing We want to book something asap so has anyone got any suggestions on sites or anything?

We know that once they experience somewhere like Chamonix they won't want to do kindergarden resorts again either.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It doesn't have to be France btw.Austria or where ever is fine as long as it's quality.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FullyTucked, try some of the less expensive but larger resorts such as Serre Chevalier, Deux-Alpes and Maurienne Valley. Still possible to do France without paying 10,50 for a beer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Firstly being based in a satellite village will be cheaper than in the main resort so look at places like La Tania part of the 3valleys or Sixt for skiing in Flaine.

Just google the piste maps and look for smaller villages and then google them for accommodation or any tour op who go there.

Also the lower they are can mean cheaper, but if late season may mean a lift back down rather than skiing back down.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FullyTucked, skiing in France, Austria or Italy is never going to be cheap - the lift passes alone are expensive. However, one of the best ways to get a top quality resort at cheap prices is to go for one of the all-in holidays at UCPA Centres in France, through Action-Outdoors. Full board, with excellent food, lift pass, equipment and lessons for around £700. And coach travel from London or transfers can be added. The 2014/15 programme is not available till August but you can put your email on the Action Outdoors website to get a reminder when it's available.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a hunt round this brochure and see what appeals:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1376291881_guide-stations-BAT.pdf

Clue: big resort = expensive, small resort = cheap
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not too bothered about where we stay tbh.It's all about the sking.When we went to Chaminox we stayed in Les Houches which is completely dead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FullyTucked, have a look at Briancon which is part of Serre Chevalier, you can get some very reasonably priced accommodation down ther.e
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FullyTucked, you have a PM - top right in Send/Receive Messages
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also Google 'ski tout compris' for good deals at French resorts. These deals usually include a self-catered apartment and lift pass. What size group are you? If you are 4, that's a nice easy number - you could either drive over, or book flights to Geneva (Sat-Sat) over the summer (watch the prices) and hire a car from the airport. If you are going in January again you should be able to pick up a good deal on an apartment a week or so before you fly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're going on beer prices, I am 90% sure beer was about €3.80 around Ski Amade (Flachau / Zauchensee specifically). Cheaper than London!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
France is expensive, try Austria, beer much cheaper there. Or go low season, doesn't make any difference to the beers though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you're going on beer prices

Unless you drink a very great deal of beer, the marginal difference between buying beers in Austria and buying beers in one of the less expensive French resorts (which is most of them) will not be a lot. And you can always buy beers in a supermarket. wink

The very low basic cost of an all-inclusive holiday in UCPA centres (where there are bars with reasonable costs) will be hard to beat in one of the major Alpine countries, even including the beer costs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could look at Tignes Les Brevieres, my friends and I were there in March and did it for a very reasonable price. I think that was partly down to the catered accommodation being so cheap and cheerful. As this is my first post, I won't paste a link in here but if you want details, feel free to PM me. We were a group of mixed ability skiers and boarders. L'Espace Killy ski area has something for everyone with 300+km of piste to explore.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slittleclaire, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks, snowyowl Very Happy
latest report
littleclaire, would that be Chalet Chardons by any chance? I've not stayed there but they do seem to have remarkable prices!
snow conditions
Hi Gamsbock. Yes, it was Chalet Chardons. We stayed in the larger Hattiers apartment and it was perfect. Food was excellent and the staff were great too. Couldn't ask for any more, considering the price we paid.
snow report
Got a week in Tignes for 600quid for flights,apartment,ski pass and ski hire in February Smile Very happy with that.

Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
FullyTucked, that sounds very good. Just transfers to add?
snow report
Transfers included as well.We booked it all separately.Flights were £90 and got a ski in/out apartment for 600 between 5 of us.
snow conditions
How big, FullyTucked, is the apartment?
ski holidays
1 Bedroom.Sleeps 5.
snow report
That's good, too, for weekends in February. What route is that? Baggage included? Did you book the accommodation, transfers and lift passes as a package - would be useful for others to include the details here. With such a good basic price you'll even be able to afford a few beers!
snow report
FullyTucked, hmmm, I stayed a weekend in Tignes which allegedly slept 4 but was exteremely tight for 2...
snow conditions
We fly to Geneva from Belfast on the 21st of Feb.I think half term in the UK ends the day before we arrive so the apartment was £200 cheaper than the week before.I booked the apartment on http://www.homeaway.co.uk/ Lift pass and ski hire we will book when we get there but that will cost about £270.

Fights £90
Ski Pass £210
Ski Hire £60
Accommodation £120
Transfers - £90

£570
snow report
You'll love Tignes & Espace Killy FullyTucked. Once you're hooked on the area you can always PM me for a return visit/stay at our four person apartment in Tignes Val Claret. Discounts for Snowheads of course wink.

By the way, ski hire is a fair bit cheaper if you book in advance online before you go. Just search on Tignes ski hire and have a look at the likes of Ski Republic, Ski Set and Intersport.
snow report
mountainaddict,

Fancy sending me a pm with your apartment details? have one hol in tignes booked for jan, plus the S11BB but looking to sort a 3rd in tignes Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

ski hire is a fair bit cheaper if you book in advance online before you go

Yes. Also look at skimium.com. When the budget is tight, who cares if the accommodation is a bit tight also? You'll have a great time.
snow conditions
FullyTucked, Great choice, Tignes is not that expensive compared with its more chichi neighbour (Val!) and some of the other big resorts in France. Having done 2 seasons there I haven't paid more than €5 for a pintish sized beer. Obviously you can pay more in some places. If you have a private transfer - ask the driver to stop in Bourg - the supermarkets down there are a lot cheaper, if not use Carrefour Montagne on Rue de la Poste in Le Lac - price wise it knocks the others into a cocked hat.
snow report
Cheers PaulC1984 - will do that very shortly.
ski holidays
Looks spot on. Thanks for the pm. Ill have a word with the other and try to arrange a date when we are all free (never an easy task!)
snow report
1st or second week in jan self catering through ski world. I got la plagne flight transfer studio for under 250 last season.
snow report
Lift faffer The cheapest Jan week in our Tignes Val Claret 4 person apartment would work out at under £200 each if you were to book a DIY trip (for 4) now:

Digs £60 ea (inc Snowheads discount).
Easyjet flights £80 ea (return).
Car hire, tolls & fuel £55ea.
TOTAL £195 Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Lift faffer The cheapest Jan week in our Tignes Val Claret 4 person apartment would work out at under £200 each if you were to book a DIY trip (for 4) now:

Digs £60 ea (inc Snowheads discount).
Easyjet flights £80 ea (return).
Car hire, tolls & fuel £55ea.
TOTAL £195 Very Happy

As others have said France doesn't have to be expensive. I've never had to pay anything like 10 euros a beer.

Rent an apartment, ideally out of school holidays. 2nd week January is always the last week to sell in our apartment and flights will be cheaper then as well.

cheapest holiday would be to rent an apartment for 4 in Jan, drive with a boot full of food, ski passes online before you go, and get a ski hire discount from the person you rent the apartment from. Most owners have a good relationship with a hire shop.

Above price from mountain addict is achievable.
snow report
We usually manage to get last minute bookings in big French resorts mid Jan for £300 to £350 catered. Couple of years ago was £249. Quite scary leaving it so late though, Luckily am self employed so ultra flexible with time off work. Obviously wouldn't work for everyone.
latest report
€10.50 a beer, I know exactly where you were. It's not all so expensive...
ski holidays
Yeah i only said our first beer cost that.Dearest beer i have ever had.Was a bar in Les Houches.
snow conditions
Fullytucked - Hope you have a great holiday. Espace Killy is a fantastic resort. If you fancy the 3 Vallees another year we have an apartment in Brides les Bains where there is a gondola which takes you to Meribel. 3V is expensive but Brides itself is much cheaper for restaurants, beer, ski hire and pretty much eveything else compared to higher resorts. The compromise is we are not ski in /out but the gondola opens at 8.15am so you can easily be in Meribel for first lifts.
We usually ski in Austria once a year too - the cost of lunch on the slopes is lower than many large French resorts. In Meribel it is sandwiches and mars bars in Austria we can afford a basic lunch !
That said the skiing in 3V is awesome and time lunching is wasted ski time !

If you really want to ski on a budget then you do need to self cater and stopping at a large supermarket on the way up to stock up is good advice. There is a large Carrefour at Moutiers.
ski holidays
FullyTucked, ah. In that case I was wrong. Which bar - so that I can avoid? Priciest beer I've come across so far was in Restaurant 2000 above Brevent bubble top station...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy