Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are snow socks better than anything else?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sorry put this in for sale in error - mod can you remove from for sale pls

Re the post today regarding snow socks....

Can anyone tell me if snow socks are a cool idea?

At the moment I wear ski boots. I think they are important since they need to click into the binding thingies on the skis. However, I have heard that some people are promoting snow socks. Are they as good as ski boots? I know that snowboard boots are good to walk in, and I can see that (insulated?) snow socks could be good.

Merino? Boiled wool like those old mitts in the 1960s? Do Icebreaker do them?

I would worry about pre-release with snow socks. But perhaps that would only happen in Marker bindings.

Please help, I need some useless innovation after doubt has entered into my mind on the proven technology of the ski boot....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2, just take yourself off to Saas Fee or somewhere, you have got the withdrawal thing very bad wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just go for normal shoes and some duct tape. Friend of mine was phoning his brother in the UK a few winters ago and was causally informed by said little brother that he had borrowed his old, binding less skis, attached himself to them with duct tape and was making use of the slope in the local park...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, good point

Sitter thank goodness there's application number 1,073 for duct tape....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I would worry about pre-release with snow socks.

Forget about duct tape. What you need are some snow chains. Much stronger.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I misunderstood what the OP was on about. When we were younger it was accepted practice to put old woolen socks over your shoes for waking on ice. They gripped well but wore out rapidly when faced with non snow covered pavement.

On all the ski trips I have been on 20% of the accidents among our party have been caused by slipping on icy pavements while getting the bread in the morning. Snow socks would have (among this admittedly small sample) led to a 20% reduction in insurance claims. Their use should be encouraged.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, that's the ticket - a good dose of silliness to take my mind off the fact that I am not skiing.......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, ....yours may be a small sample, but your qualitative study has been bolstered by a quantitative study....

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/mar/09/improbable-research-icy-socks-over-shoes

improbable....maybe not.....

...and it's an rct with apparently reasonable controls - although I would have liked the inclusion of a placebo - people who were given socks which were not really socks - mock socks (??!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

...and it's an rct with apparently reasonable controls - although I would have liked the inclusion of a placebo - people who were given socks which were not really socks - mock socks (??!)

Not convinced that double blinding people walking on icy pavements is a good idea might be amusing though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy