Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Where can I learn how to service my own skis. I know there are vids on you tube about it, but I am a person who learns by watching, then doing with guidance. Is there anyone who runs a course, or if there isn't, is there a snowhead who can who would run a course if there was enough of us to make it worth his or her while?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe even one day course followed by a drinky bash thing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need spyderjon...

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon is your man for this. And I'm up for that, daytime learny thing and dinner/drink thing after.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He looks perfect, I will drop him a mail tomorrow and see what numbers he could do in a day, could be a useful day out with dinner drink thing maybe???

mrsthecramps aint interested in servicing skis, that's my job, but she would come, so you would get to meet the woman who puts up with me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edge and Wax advertise a course too. I did send them a couple of emails asking for info but never got a reply, so have stopped pursuing it.
I'd go to one of Jons sessions but its a helluva shlep for SAAAAF London.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anything Technical in Kendal also offer courses.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef, Yes , I am aware of what they do, but we aren't fans. We have used them a few times for various stuff, but we have found them wanting in some way every time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, it is a shlep, but just imagine if there was the prospect of a night out in Nottingham afterwards Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and Jon recommends a cracking curry house in Nottingham whose name escapes me!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely worth the trip to Jon's, course is excellent and Jon's a really nice fella. Also he has lots of interesting bits and bobs in his shop if you are a bit of a gear junkie, I found myself unable to resist a rotating brass brush after seeing it in action Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done Jon's course too and now do my own skis, if I can do it anyone can Very Happy

sarah, Dare we enquire as to what you are going to use a rotating brass brush for wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, doing seven pairs in double quick time Toofy Grin Never again will I be putting my back into it with the old brass brush, I shall be whizzing through them with my spinning friend Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

...a night out in Nottingham...

is second prize two nights out in Nottingham?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, agreed, mrsthecramps and I were thinking more of a decent country inn, with ok food, good beer and a lock in.
snow report
thecramps wrote:
......mrsthecramps and I were thinking more of a decent country inn, with ok food, good beer and a lock in.

Most of my customers who overnight it want exactly the same & stay B&B/dinner at either:
The Old Ship Inn, Main Street, Lowdham, Notts, NG14 7BE. Tel. 0115 9663049 (3 miles away)
or at
The Unicorn, Gunthorpe, Notts, NG14 7FB. Tel 0115 9663612. http://www.unicornhotelpub.co.uk (5 miles away)
snow report
spyderjon, sold! Now give us some dates over the summer and we can have ourselves a badly organised and badly co-ordinated attempt at finding a time suitable for everyone.

What kind of cost is a Snowheads day of ski tuning learning going to come in at? Might help people to commit when they see how cheap it will be against the £25 a pop that seems to be the going rate for even basic servicing.
snow conditions
Mistress Panda, one to one at £90 for 3.5 hours it says. Perhaps a group deal? How many people can you cope with at once,spyderjon, ?
snow conditions
I would be interested.
latest report
We are up for it too
snow report
Definitely interested in joining a group lesson and mini-social. I do it myself now (oo err) but absolutely certainly not correctly. (Its my excuse for my skiing anyway.)
snow conditions
I might be interested in this too, depending on date and cost. Been on my list of things to do for a while (learn how to service my ski's that is, not a night out in Nottingham!)
latest report
I might be interested in this too, depending on date and cost. Been on my list of things to do for a while (learn how to service my ski's that is, not a night out in Nottingham!)
latest report
Massive thumbs up for Jon's course. Since my attendance I have regularly serviced my skis (now 3 times in total) and it helps! Seeing as I live around the corner from Jon's would definitely be up for some social. Can I come? Embarassed
snow report
Rishie, Course, more the merrier.
snow conditions
spyderjon, What do you think, could you give us a group price, and an indication of how many you could cope with at a time, and some idea of good dates, then we can try and sort ourselves on a date and make ourselves semi organised..

Thanks
snow conditions
I'll come for the curry
latest report
My missus is interested also.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My broadband is/has been on the fritz for the last few days but I'll get back to this thread soonest.
ski holidays
On my half day sessions I usually only take a max of two people which gives each person a workbench/tool set to allow them to fully tune/service their own pair of skis which means plenty of hands on work per person. However I could accommodate four people allowing a 'couple' to share a bench & share the servicing of one pair of skis between them. Any more than that is doable but & it becomes a demonstration rather than a proper 'hands on' lesson.
snow conditions
'Couples' could maybe do 1 ski of their own each under supervision, and then the other when they got home! Spiderjon can you give us an idea of what price per person and what dates you could do the foursomes......??? I guess weekends would be good for those of us with pesky jobs (although so many snowheads seem to have very helpfully flexible jobs maybe it doesn't matter...)
ski holidays
learnt how to do it from the internet and youtube!! not diffucult, just get the right equipment etc.I find it quite therapoutic !!
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:
learnt how to do it from the internet and youtube!! not diffucult, just get the right equipment etc.I find it quite therapoutic !!

I learn't brain surgery from the internet, only made a couple of mistakes so far and I keep getting better every time. Laughing
latest report
ansta1, My rocket science is coming on in leaps and bounds. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
You can become an expert at anything from reading up on the internet.

Just ask all our politicians. NehNeh
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
......I could accommodate four people allowing a 'couple' to share a bench & share the servicing of one pair of skis between them. Any more than that is doable but & it becomes a demonstration rather than a proper 'hands on' lesson.

The cost for the above would be £45 per person - that's for a half day for four 'hands-on' people on two pairs of skis. Accompanying 'hands-off' spectators are foc. Includes tea/coffee & biccies.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 22-05-14 20:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I resisted putting a reply similar to spyderjons, if the group is too large it becomes a demonstration which defeats the object of his knowledge transfer process. It might be better to see if he can provide a weekend of smaller groups when he is quiet, perhaps shorter specific sessions for 4-8 people.

Longer day for spyderjon, more down time for those not taking the tuition then a big wee wee up and meal...
snow conditions
I'd be happy just spectating - having just bought some new planks from Jon it would be the perfect excuse to go and pick them up and learn something whilst I'm there.

What dates are we looking at guys?
snow conditions
I think I should clarify that the foc spectating offer is for the non participating partners of those taking the lesson/doing the work.
snow conditions
spyderjon, can you give us a couple of possible dates that work for you in July/August? I am in for a half day session, group of 4 sounds fine to me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy