Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all you know about Engelberg

Poster: A snowHead
When MrQ needed a gift from work to celebrate 30 years I chose him a long weekend (5 days) skiing in Engelberg in January and very kindly our company agreed, as long as he took me Very Happy

I chose Engelberg for a few reasons: never been there before, never skiied in Switzerland (apart from a day in St Moritz), not too far from an airport, not too full of Brits, there's a glacier in case the snow isn't very good, and it looks nice.

We're staying in a hotel called Spannort in the heart of the village, 5 mins walk from the lifts, which might be a good thing 'cos it's a 'gourmet' hotel!

Who knows Engelberg and can give us the real info: best routes and runs, good places for lunch up the mountains, good bars for the evenings etc. Any and all info very gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ, Engelberg has one of the finest long powder slopes in the world: the Laub. It involves a short hike from the top of a chairlift. If you like off-piste skiing the investment in a half-day's or day's guiding would be excellent.

There's no need to go through the details of the piste network - it's not vast and you'll happily discover the lot for yourselves.

The recent floods took out the railway line up to the village, so I guess there's a bus replacement for the moment.

As for bars etc. I've completely forgotten what I discovered. Maybe the monks in the big monastery would provide you with something interesting.

Have a great time - it's a lovely place!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when you get onto the first big lift in the morning, don't get off at the first stop.

The first stop will just lead you to a snow road that brings you back down to the place you started. At the second stop on this lift, you can get out and connect with the rest of the lifts for the other parts of the mountain.

when you get off at this lift, there is a frozen lake sort of in front of you. You have to ski down a wee bit - maybe 50 - 100 metres and it will bring you to a small chair lift. This lift goes over the frozen lake and when you get off there is a pretty decent resto to your right hand side.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ,

The Laub is 1000 mtr vertical off piste run in a bowl almost. It is easily accessed from the piste and the top might be mogul steps.
As you look down the steepest lines are left and likely to be in the shade in Jan mostly. Once you are in there is no way out but its such a great run who would want that.? Don't do it late in the day as the sun..if any, turns the snow off etc and it can be quite exposed. You will need to give it a good run at the bottom and ignore the lifts you can see as they serve a beginners area. Only use the lifts to get enough height to go to the restuarant iwhich you will see from high up the hill. Unless you have cocked up the run-in you can ignore the lifts there. Its a glorious sun terrace and the food is good as I remember... The owner is supposed to run you back to the lift system but I've only walked it. If you are not a walker... you MUST get a taxi....!! Then you go round again....!!

The glacier is very easy to route find although take due care. If you are used to these type of things a guide is overkill but maybe get one early on and let him show you around. I can't tell you about the pistes as we didn't use them expect the 4 oclock run which needs to be taken high to avoid walking. Once you pass the restuarant by the lake IIRC just point them straight down. Its still a long way down from here and its just a case of stopping in the right place to avoid a walking section..

Everybody congregates around the Yucatan bar near the station after you come off the slopes. Didn't notice apre-ski after dinner
as too tired.... Old gits..!!

Stockli have test centre on the road to the main lift and if you need skis you must hire there for a day...!!
The town has a great vibe to it...I can't explain it, its just is a skiers town. It is as tough or easy as you want it.

A pefect example of Switzerland doing things properly IMV.

If you find any gems, please share them..!! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, how much snow cover is necessary for the Laub to be skiable? Engelberg is a possible for this weekend, altough Zinal/Grimentz looks like it might be favourite cos they're getting more snow over the next few days
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RachelQ, All the mountain restaurants are pretty good, but the Brunnihutte, the one at Jochpass and the one at the top of Titlis are my favorites.

Your hotel is 5 mins from the Brunni lift, but you will want to get the bus to go up Titlis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno,

I don't know how much cover is required but I think the run bottoms out at around 2000m so the snow level will need
tp be good that level. Only 5 lifts open as well by my prelimarily enquires.
If I were going this weekend I would talk to Easiski as ADH and LDA look good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

PM Snobunny as she knows Val D Annivers...

as does Ise
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The small number of pistes are very good: especially from the Jockstock express. There was good snow from 1500m+ at Easter and fresh snow at the top of Titlis. We were only there for 2 days and we found it great for a short break
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, ta. I'd be all over ADH if it wasn't for the fact that I have flights booked to Zurich. Zinal/Grimentz is getting a reasonable amount of snow and it seems the lifts are only open at the weekend so there should be freshies when I get there Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zurich to Zinal for the weekend? You need a map I think Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Zinal is scheduled to open on 17/12. Currently closed with 30cm on lower/upper slopes Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got a couple of long weekends planned there next Jan/Feb myself. Went last year during the Feb storms and while knee deep pow could be found right next to the pistes visibility made the Laub and and glacier runs a no-no so I'd love to ski with someone who knows the routes or chip in for a guide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob,

I'm there on the 8th Jan... Not sure how long I will stay as we are moving onto Andermatt...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, 2.5 hours to Sion according to the AA. is it way off?
snowbunny, website says that some Grimentz lifts will open this weekend
latest report
Arno,
Quote:

snowbunny, website says that some Grimentz lifts will open this weekend

Yes, Grimentz will have 5 lifts and 5 pistes expected to open this w/e , same as last w/e. Zinal however is not scheduled to open until the season proper starts 17/12.
After Sion drive to Sierre, then up the valley for a good 35 mins of hairpin bends Madeye-Smiley
I can see the apartment we are hoping to buy on the webcam for the Bendolla station , yup it's still there this morning Very Happy
latest report
snowbunny, plan is to overnight in the Sion Ibis then get up early for the hairpins
snow conditions
Arno,
Quote:

snowbunny, plan is to overnight in the Sion Ibis then get up early for the hairpins

You will most likely meet the Postbus on it's way down...pull over Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny, indeed - after all it CANNOT be late Very Happy
ski holidays
That's great everyone, thank you for all the info. Really looking forward to it, after Christmas skiing, of course snowHead

fatbob, we'll be there from Friday 20th - Tuesday 24th January. Is that one of your weekends?
ski holidays
Arno,

Let us know what you think of the area...might get there later this season....

What about Arolla..? not far from there is it..?
snow report
I thought about Arolla but it doesn't open until Christmas or something. It's got really fun skiing actually. I've done a couple of ski touring courses there. Last time, it had basically snowed all January and the sun came out on our first day. There was no-one there so it was fresh tracks all day. Shame we had to stop during the day to dig a snow pit and analyse snow crystals. Then there was another dump half way through the week and more freshies.

Best to take touring kit to get the best out of the area though.
snow conditions
RachelQ - That is one of my weekends Sat-Mon. I haven't booked accomodation yet as I was keeping my options open re Eberg or Andermatt but if uou're going to be around and want to get a guide there's no reason it shouln't be Eberg then.

JT - Sorry still in Tahoe then - life's tough!
snow report
fatbob, we're planning on hiring a guide for Saturday 21st, if you're interested. Is it just you or are you with other people?
ski holidays
And I wanted to go on these dates Sad

We could have had a mini SH meet...
ski holidays
RachelQ, great place for a short trip. I had a couple of days there last Jan. Enjoy.
snow conditions
RachelQ - Saturday would be fine for me (just me at present) I'll pm you
snow conditions
JT, so change your dates NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ,

Almost sorted and booked now although it caused a few rucks...

We stay at the Cathrin.. I'll try and post some weather conditions if I can find access..
ski holidays
Bump

To ask if anyone has any recommended guides to try to get hold of? Preferably ones with maximum amount of route knowledge that they are prepared to share - not just the"punter runs".

Thanks
latest report
Well, just back from my weekend there. Conclusions:

1. There isn't enough snow there now
2. When there is a bit more snow, there is huge potential without even having to put much effort in. There are masses of interesting, technical descents visible from the lifts. I have no doubt there are huge amounts more when you have a bit of local knowledge.
3. My Dynastar Legend Pros were money well spent last season. A bit worse for wear after hitting some rocks though Mad
snow report
Arno,

Sssshhh..!!

fatbob,

I've not seen any published books too easily on the net for Engelberg or others for that matter, ie Andermatt, Schilthorn or Val D A. The swiss do indeed drop off the sides and you would imagine they use guides but it will be a case of turn up at the office and tallk it over. I've found this a bit frustating online as all you get is guide companies with intineries but nothing specific. For example, just review of the route would be nice to se if you wanted to add it too your list or something.

So for my planned trips I will have to get down to the office and see what is what...which is probably their plan..
snow conditions
fatbob,

But I'll be there early Jan so I will let you know what we fnd.The glacier is easy enough to sort yourself out on as you can see lines as Arno says. As long as you are used to this sort of thing and the cover is good
ski holidays
Thanks guys

Appreciate its not really the sort of place that you might want to share your secret lines - just couldn't really see anything when I went last year! It might be too late to keep it quiet now as even US Skiing magazine has run a big article on the place.
ski holidays
fatbob,

The Yanks and Swedes have been there for ages as far as I can tell
We should be guided for a few days and hope to see whats beyond what you can easily see. I'll get back to you.
snow conditions
Skied Engleberg last March for a week, arrived to fantastic snow conditions, from top to bottom, some of the driest powder I've ever skied. I'd been in Canada, BC for quite sometime earlier in the year hoping for some legendary powder, didn't really get any, more rain than powder, so arriving in Engelberg to find the such great powder was great. see lots of photos here

http://www.waynos.co.uk/ski/Euro2005/PicGen.asp?DayNumber=445

Piste skiing is okay but a bit disjointed, the lifts did get busy early on at the weekend. Apres-ski is a bit limited, but I was tired out from skiing any how. The scenery is a real treat, as good as any alpine scenery I've seen. I hired a guide for one afternoon , a few days after a big dump (of snow) and were still finding untracked powder on the glacier, the laub was great, but got to say a real test at the end of the day on your legs. And yes not many brits which makes a pleasant change. Well worth a visit.
latest report
waynos, thank you, and welcome to snowHeads snowHead Your photos are fantastic, just a little bit of that powder would do me nicely.

A couple of questions about hiring a guide. Did you just go into the office and ask for one, or did you have any previous knowledge of who to book? Was one afternoon enough, or would a whole day be better?

Thank you
Rachel
snow conditions
waynos, excellent photos. Welcome to snowheads!

I'd love to ski Engelberg (and Andermatt). Maybe one day.
ski holidays
Welcome waynos,

Great pics, when in mar.? I was there about that time, did you see the american films crews.?

RachelQ,

we will just pop along to the office to see whats what although last year they open/closed at funny times ..!!
Get back to you if I can post out there as I think our times may cross..!!
snow conditions
Rachel

Your in luck as I've just managed to dig out the name of the guide I hired. He knows Engelberg inside out, friendly, he's Swiss, can't remember if he was local but certainly been guiding in Engelberg for some years, spoke good english.

His name is Martin Zwyer of Skischule Engelberg Titlis, located at main Tourist office. tel +41 41 639 54 54 info@skischule-engelberg.ch

I do have his private email / mobile but it's probably not polite to publish it in a public place. If you can email me via this forum then I can send the other details but I'm sure the tourist office can sort it out.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy