Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada Snow Season advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some input about where to go. My wife and I (31 and 29) are looking at doing a snow season in Canada for 2014/15.

neither of us are party animals so more interested in the other stuff, snow, terrain, accomodation etc. She's just getting started riding and I grew up in the snow but it's been a while since I've riden for a season so looking at good beginner to intermediate runs and powder.

Probably looking to stick to the bigger resorts for ease of work, etc. so leaning towards Whistler, Big White, etc. maybe Banff, but probably looking at BC.

Any input is great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
To do a season you'll need a visa. Being over 30 this would mean a sponsored visa. In reality sponsored visas are not generally given to workers other than ski instructors and in many places only then to those with higher level qualifications. Whichever one of you is 29 would still be eligible for a working visa and if you decide you can live on one ski resort wage then that's a possibility.
Renting property in Canada is quite expensive unless you are prepared to travel e.g. Kamloops for Sun Peaks, Kelowna for Big White but then travel each day is tricky. Only Invermere for Panorama has a good daily bus service that I'm aware of in BC. Banff has good access to Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay. Be prepared to pay $1300 CDN per month minimum and typically $1500 to $2500 for a place unless you're happy to share.
Sorry this all sounds so negative. If you can find a way then of the places on the radar my advice would be Sun Peaks particularly given your wife's current level. There's a huge amount of terrain for progressing riders there and if you end up living on the hill it's much more of a community feel with lots of shops etc. Big White is also great but the village is very limited even for buying food to cook. Whistler has fantastic terrain but it's very big and rather busy, in my opinion much less of a real Canadian feel to it.
I hope this is all helpful and that you find a way. Me and my wife did our first season in Canada 2 years ago while in our mid fifties. It was truly fantastic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An old aquaintance of mine did several seasons in Canada working out of Canmore. He and a few others rented a big house there pretty cheap and had a steady rotation of long stay visitors throughout the season. Between them they bought an old van and followed the conditions around the Alberta resorts, and the drivable BC resorts, like Kicking Horse, and I think they made it over to Fernie and that area for a week or two living in the van.

** Warning ** The guy was an architect and had a sucessful practice in the UK so could fund himself independantly. He'd intended to do a season then come back to continue working... He ended up saying "Stuff that" and sold up all his kit and bought a motorbike at the end of the season, rode down to Mexico and spent the summer fixing motorbikes down there. I last heard that he'd sold the practice up and was 'living the lifestyle' of Mexico summers, Canadian winters, snowboarding, surfing and fixing snowmobiles and motorbikes...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
visa stuff is all good, we'll be coming over on the working holiday program, I already have mine, applying for my wifes now (got in before I turned 31) I'm a civil engineer and she's in fitness so happy to have some time away from "professional" work. Probably taking a leave of absence from work but may stay longer than one season, I've also got duel citizenship with the US so who knows where we'll end up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

** Warning ** The guy was an architect and had a sucessful practice in the UK so could fund himself independantly. He'd intended to do a season then come back to continue working... He ended up saying "Stuff that" and sold up all his kit and bought a motorbike at the end of the season, rode down to Mexico and spent the summer fixing motorbikes down there. I last heard that he'd sold the practice up and was 'living the lifestyle' of Mexico summers, Canadian winters, snowboarding, surfing and fixing snowmobiles and motorbikes...

Sounds good Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
woodenrobot,

I would go interior BC, like SUn Peaks, Silver Star or Big White.

AS you are a civil engineer I would also consider getting a job in Calgary afterwards.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

Am just looking at the International Experience Canada work permit process for a UK resident (looks pretty complicated and is closed currently). Does anyone have experience of the process and, in particular, how long the work permit is valid for after issue? As I understand it, it gives you the right to work for up to 12 months. The issue is that because permits only seem to be issued in Jan or Feb of each year it could be that you cannot apply for winter jobs until the following winter - would your permit then be nearly expired or would 12 months only run from when you enter the country? Latter would make sense - just checking as the process looks convoluted.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If no-one can answer this you could go to a forum called British Expats, go to the Canada boards and to the immigration board
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gryphea, thanks - will look
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisJersey, IEC activates when you enter the country and is valid for 12mths. You can apply for a second IEC but then that is it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy