Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Embarrassing underwear

Poster: A snowHead
OK I come clean, 8 posts into my Snowheads career and I need to check out a theory before going shopping for this season.

My underwear problem is thus. My boots are too tight for thick ski socks (until they bed in after another week or two). When I wear Ron Hills or Hellys, I have to bunch up the lower legs around my knees. Through the day this gets really sore and bruised behind my knees.

Before I start blowing 40 quid on special stuff, will ladies tights do the job? My understanding wife says they're 5 for 3 quid in supermarkets and are therefore effectively disposable and will feel warm under a decent dry shell.

Over to you knowing ladies and brave gents to reply!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You shouldn;t be wearing thick ski socks is the answer, and if you were seen tucking ron hills into skiboots on a group holiday with us we'd have your trousers off!

SKiing is about control. If you have layers and layers of material around your leg, then rather than any movement of theleg being transferred to the skii boot and thence to the ski, the movement first compresses your thick sock, then your ron hills, then your comfy boot liner before eventually moving your boot.

Personally, I wear one pair of thorlo ski socks. they;re not very thick at all, although they do have a slight padding on the shin and the heel. I've seen something which appears to be nylon popsox (ask your wife) with a neoprene pad along the shin, for even lighter wear. Some ski instructors ahve told me that they ski without socks, although you have to have a *very* good fan in the boot room if you do that I bet!

Does that answer your question or have I missed the point?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sproggski wrote:

I have to bunch up the lower legs around my knees. Through the day this gets really sore and bruised behind my knees.!

Can't comment on the tights angle, I'm more of a stockings man wink ,
but if your helly's or ron hills are only used for skiing or old, just chop the bottoms off.

I find socks + thermals too much in a boot and buy the 3/4 type.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use these liner socks, about 1mm thick

http://www.outdoorgarage.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Bridgedale_Coolmax_Liner_Socks.html

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt wrote:
If you have layers and layers of material around your leg, then rather than any movement of theleg being transferred to the skii boot and thence to the ski, the movement first compresses your thick sock, then your ron hills, then your comfy boot liner before eventually moving your boot.

Thanks nbt, I agree with this; its the pulling up of the leggings above my boots (and therefore into the small of my knee) thats causing the contrictive pain and I am not convinced that expensive thermals will be any better. My theory is that tights are thin, should be quite but not too warm and have no bulk or folds to cause pain.

Or my subliminal fem side is trying to find a way out! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, I haven't ever met an instructor who'd do that for teaching. Comfort not speed being the imperative!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, I suspect your right and it's my beer-addled brain confsing stories....

(beer addled at the point of being told, of course Wink)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinnish socks here (Falke SK1/2 here... sell them everywhere in Germany), and 3/4 length thermal undies (Odlo, helly, etc.). Really need to shop around for the 3/4 type, though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I used to wear long johns under a shell I always had them stop just below the knee otherise too much material
for chaffing..

If you have a pair of ski pants with a light (very) fleece inner you don't need long john etc. Just a pair of wicking pants...!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sproggski,

you can get thermal bottoms that are 3/4 length* (stop just below the knee). Coupe these with thin (top of) calf length socks and Bob's your uncle.

* for some reason they are not that common but S&R have some in their own label brand

Jed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drainpipe jeans are far better than flares, much easier to tuck in your ski boots wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Can't comment on the tights angle, I'm more of a stockings man ,

If you wear the suspender belt OVER the drainpipe jeans the suspender hooks are handy for routing through the wires going between the battery pack and your heated insoles/gloves and also for looping through any excess earphone wire from your iPod
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wear thermal leggings, but instead of bunching them up below the knee, I lever them over the outside of my boot, which stops them forming a painful band around my upper calf.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sproggski, I wouldn't wear womens tights....and I'm a woman!! The toes will be restrictive, the soles are slippery and your feet will slip around inside your sock, you'll be the butt of every joke going...don't do it!! 3/4 length thermals with a pair of socks is the way to go...S&R 3/4 thermals are good.....or slit up the sides of your leggings so they'll slip down over your boots.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not only that but tights have seams at the toes which then slip under your toes... I wouldn't like to see the blisters on your toes after a day of skiing on those seams!

I second the Falke suggestion - I always use the SK2 which is the finer (padded shin and heel).
latest report
homphomp, I think (I may be wrong) but sproggski was thinking of wearing tights instead of socks, not as well as
Quote:

My boots are too tight for thick ski socks
And if you think, regarding tights
Quote:

The toes will be restrictive
then your boots are too big!
(Although I wouldn't wear tights either - I love my thermals Laughing )
snow report
maggi, Hmm....you could be right...obviously reading the post wrong (nothing unusual there!)....I'm even more against tights in that case!

No....my boots aren't too big but I find tights uncomfortable at the best of times, they are tight at the toes even though I have very slim feet, I suspect that blokes feet would be even more uncomfortable!
latest report
tights won't keep you warm, and they're uncomfy round the waist.
ski holidays
Disappointing, I was expecting some crotchless pants hilarity, but instead its tights (Hosiery) I did a study of tights- their history for GCSE Textiles, I lost the will to live in M&S Hosiery section after detailed research into sandal toe vs anti bac.

Wear Stockings, if they have to cut you out for any reason at least you'll have a talking point.
snow conditions
The old 70's mountaineering trick may work. Thermal tights cut off at the calf are pretty much 6th of the price long johns. But I wear thin fleece pants or salopettes which fit over my boots. And stick with thin ski socks.

Fellow snowHead's. Please stop these references to men wearing stockings for warmth and comfort. That is downright sick. We should only wear them for kinky sex. When oh when will you people learn?
ski holidays
Scarpa,
Quote:

We should only wear them for kinky sex

Less kinky, more weird IMO wink
snow report
Thin socks (like normal everyday thickness) and lycra leggings - works for me. Volume wise they're nothing really.
ski holidays
sproggski wrote:
When I wear Ron Hills or Hellys, I have to bunch up the lower legs around my knees. Through the day this gets really sore and bruised behind my knees.

I had a similar problem with Hellys, too long and didn't want to tuck into the boot - answer - sharp scissors and disregard for the cost of the thermals - result - comfort and practicality - worked for me Madeye-Smiley
latest report
My thermals were always too long, and my socks always too big. 3/4 length thermals and kids socks were the answer.
snow conditions
Thanks for the consensus everybody, S&R 3/4 lengths beat endless chalet ridicule. I'm off to write to Santa to ask for some.
ski holidays
Never go commando and always wear an outer layer while wearing crotchless tights. It stops you sticking to the T-Bar and prevents your lips from chapping.
snow conditions
DB, I'm in awe - and that takes some doing hehehe Razz
ski holidays
Never noticed a problem with my ron hills when I wear them which I always bunch up above the boot
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sproggski wrote:
Before I start blowing 40 quid on special stuff, will ladies tights do the job?

Get to a TK Maxx, got myself some £20 pairs of Nordica, Technica and Salomon socks for between £5 and £7. The socks are dead thin too, which is what you need, with cushioning on the pressure point i.e. shin front etc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy