Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Vignette - Innsbruck to Brenner

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have looked up 'vignette' on search and, as far as I can tell, this hasn't been discussed. If it has already, my apologies.

My parents are travelling through Germany to Italy via Mittenwald, Seefeld, Innsbruck and Brenner Pass. He has asked me today about the vignette for Austrian motorways. Am I correct in saying that the A13 is a road that requires both a vignette and a toll to use? He says that, if that is true, he will buy a vignette and travel motorways for all that journey. If the Brenner Pass road is toll only (as in toll booths), he will use local roads in towards Innsbruck then just pay toll for Brenner Pass.

I know it is only €8.50 for the vignette, but for my dad, it is the principal Embarassed

Thanks for any help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check here for Austria roads requiring the Vignette..... https://www.tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The way I read that, you don't need a vignette because you pay for the toll on the road.

Thanks skimastaaah

P.S. Anyone who reads that on the web differently, feel free to correct me. A few glasses of the red stuff may have impaired me understanding. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought the bit from Innsbruck Süd junction to Brenner border only needed the special toll that you pay at the toll booths.

edit: going south is not an issue from Innsbruck city, but on the way back, if you're not going to the city, you have to remember to turn off "early", otherwise you end up on the bit needing a vignette going East-West.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Asfinag website says you only need to pay tolls and no need for the vignette.
http://www.asfinag.at/maut#ap-inside-view-full

Edit: personally I would just pay for a vignette, it's not like it's a bank-breaking amount and it means that you can avoid any potential traffic bottlenecks in and around Innsbruck when heading to the A13 from Seefeld.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can drive through whole A13 without vignette, but as soon as you go off A13 to any other road (100m on junction Innsbruck south is enough) you need it.
Quote:

Die gesamte A 13 ist eine Sondermautstrecke. Sie kann ohne Vignette befahren werden. Bitte beachten Sie die Vignettenpflicht auf der A 12. Sollten Sie das vignettenpflichtige Straßennetz umgehen wollen, so stellt die Anschlussstelle Innsbruck Süd die erste Auffahrt beziehungsweise die letzte Abfahrt dar.

As far as "principal" goes, he can easily drive through France... or better yet, stay at home, so there won't be any need to bug with Austrian vignette and their system, if "principal" is problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dougie, I forgot to say that TollTickets will send you in advance a 10 day Austrian Vignette to cover the dates you require. As far as 8.50 Euro plus postage goes it's a damn sight better up-front cost than being pulled over for a 1000 Euro fine. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dougie : I agree with andy and Sitter . If you only use the motorway from Innsbruck Sud to Brenner you only pay the Special Toll but go beyond that and you need an extra vignette.
Some people are tempted to do the extra short part of the motorway past Innsbruck Sud to Garmish without a vignette but it is policed very actively by Asfnag staff in unmarked cars and the fines are really not worth taking the risk. Also depending on time of year and day it can be well worth paying for the vignette to avoid the trafic on the non motorway roads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Some people are tempted to do the extra short part of the motorway past Innsbruck Sud to Garmish without a vignette but it is policed very actively by Asfnag staff in unmarked cars and the fines are really not worth taking the risk.

and surely somebody acting on "principle" would suffer by sitting in traffic jams feeling righteous rather than cheat? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All this for the sake of E8.50?? Really? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can avoid both the toll and the vignette BUT you need to have either exceptional navigation skills or a very precise sat-nav telling you how to avoid the tolls.

As you come down the hill from Zirl on the B171, you need to stay on that road, following signs to Innsbruck-Zentrum and Kranebitten, you actually drive past the airport on this road. After the airport at the really big junction you switch to the B174 (Bachlechnerstrasse) and follow it over the River Inn bridge. At a very large traffic light controlled junction you turn right on to the B182 which may also be signposted to Bergisl, but it is signposted as the Brennerstrasse. This is the old road over the Brenner and if you follow it all the way to the pass, you avoid both the Austrian toll (8.10 last time I used this stretch) and the need for a motorway vignette. I often use the old road both going up to Brenner as well as coming back as it is an interesting road. I usually join the motorway on the Italian side when going into Italy as it is relatively cheap in terms of tolls, but sometimes I stay on the old road all the way down to Sterzing (Vitapeno).

To be honest, if there is any doubt about the navigation skills, I'd just bite the bullet and buy both the vignette and pay the toll. The motorway is by far the easiest route to take! I have the luxury of choice as I have an annual vignette and I know the area, but even so in busy periods I sometimes end up on the motorway when I would prefer to drive on the old road.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, Yes.

Sue And others. Thanks for the advice. Will pass it on to my parents.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dougie, Strikes me its a bit of a chance to take, the fine if they find themselves on the wrong road without the vignette is anything between €300 & €3000 Shocked

If Samerberg Sue the snowHead oracle on the roads of western Austria, Bayern and the Sudtirol can find herself on the wrong road then I for one wouldn't risk it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj, It isn't a case of risking anything. My dad was only asking if he needed a vignette as well as paying the toll at the toll booth. He was going to use the local roads into Innsbruck so he didn't have to pay the vignette but, knowing the Brenner road is a toll booth road, didn't know if he still needed a vignette for that section. From what Sue says, I will recommend he buys the vignette and uses the motorway for it all. His 'principal' was that he didn't want to pay for a vignette that he didn't need.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dougie, From Zirl, by far the easiest way to and over the Brenner is using the autobahn and even if it is only for a couple of kms, you still have to have a vignette (currently €8.90 I think for a 10 day one). Initially you turn on to the A12 then you follow the signs up onto the A13. Once you pass the turn off for Mutters (Junction 3 Innsbruck-Süd) you have to pay a toll. I know when I drive off at Schönberg on my way to Stubai, I have to pay something like €2.50 for the pleasure! Up to just before the border at the Brenner the extra cost is €8.50 (according to a colleague who regularly uses the pass to visit his parents in Süd-Tirol). That's what I personally object to - I've paid for an annual vignette so why do I have to pay again to use certain stretches of autobahn? As that amount is a one-way amount, it means a total outlay of 25 Euro or thereabouts just to cross Innsbruck easily and back again.

I actually understand your Dad's point of view as it is pretty well my own. When I have the time, I always take the autobahn up to the toll sections then take the normal non-toll roads, turning off before I have to pay the additional costs and use the alternative normal roads if they are open.

I can look up the current prices for you on the ÖAMTC web site later when I get out of the office - currently the hamsters driving our internet connections here are on a go slow. rolling eyes
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I know when I drive off at Schönberg on my way to Stubai, I have to pay something like €2.50 for the pleasure! Up to just before the border at the Brenner the extra cost is €8.50 (according to a colleague who regularly uses the pass to visit his parents in Süd-Tirol). That's what I personally object to - I've paid for an annual vignette so why do I have to pay again to use certain stretches of autobahn? As that amount is a one-way amount, it means a total outlay of 25 Euro or thereabouts just to cross Innsbruck easily and back again.

I've been told that the €2.50 is to pay for the Europabrucke - but that's been there so long now that I'd be surprised if it hasn't been paid for by now! I usually pay it on the way up to the glacier, then take the old (free) road back. Frankly I should just buy the year pass for it.

I don't understand the toll for the Brenner though. It's a pretty key link between Tirol and Süd Tirol; why isn't it the same (free) as every other motorway?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy