Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all you know about Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
docsquid, johnboy and I both loved our holiday in Zell am See - some really nice runs especially the black 14 & 15 and the little grappa bar on the way back to the village from 15(I think!). Some nice bars in Zell am See and a rather mad time had by all in the Irish bar and of course Crazy Daisy. If you fancy a cocktail go to the nice bar in the Grand Hotel (I'm sure the lovely waiter Harry has moved on).

We only went to Saalabch for one day but we were really impressed and would love to go back there for a week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When we were there in March the ice was very thick and it was safe to walk across the lake. Also about a foot of snow on it.

When I was in Lake Louise in November there were guys driving small tractors on the frozen lake!!! They dozed the fresh snow off an area every morning. Then sprayed water on to make a smooth surface for ice skating/ hockey
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone likely to be around Zell 9-15th Feb?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, No, rolling eyes but we may (hope we will) be paying Zell a visit in the next 12 days Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its nice to see this tread keep appearing each season. I have fond memories of Zell and Im still enterested to hear how the place is doing.

i
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, I'll be there. I'll look out for you and your gang.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got married in Zell last March (1st) and it was great. Didn't get to ski that much in the end or sample the highspots of the nightlife as much as I would have liked (Unlike some members of the group!!!!).

Everyone very friendly, and for reasons above will go back at some point to give it the full hit.

Not much snow low down last year and the lake wasn't frozen, however lots of fresh snow dumped at the top so good conditions most of the way.

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Zell on Tuesday last week. Plenty of snow this year all the way down and lots on our apartment balcony, plus it was snowing when we left. I am very jealous of all the people heading out there now! We aren't going until March 1st Crying or Very sad .

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Kaprun for New Year which was OK for beginners or small children but that is all. The Glacier had a couple of decent runs on it but is very prone to closing due to high winds.
Zell was better but at New Year much too busy. Could take 45 mins queue to get into the gondola.
The snow was great above mid station but very icy near the bottom.

The town is not a traditional ski village. We skied down to the City Express Gondola expecting to have a coffee break in a nice cafe but it was like arriving in Nottingham City Centre!

I'd say a great place for one week but I would not go back with so much choice around.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Booked up to go to Zell am See on the 2nd Feb 08.... Are there any insider tips about the best slopes, the best place to catch the lift from, the best bars, the raunchiest nightlife?

Does the area seem 'small' when skiing/boarding?

Any one else going this week?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stephenclark2000, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Where about are you staying? I've always stayed the Schuttdorf end of town, so used the Arietbahn to access the ski area. However it will depend on where you stay as to the most convenient.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stephenclark2000, head for the Sonnenalm area when you're in Zell, it's usually much quieter and has some great runs. Don't forget that you can ski Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn on the same lift pass. There are lots of bars to choose from, all in the centre of the town, literally a stone's throw from each other. Try (in no particular order) Flannagans, Greens, Crazy Daisy, Membar and Diele. If you want 'raunchy' you need to head for Viva later on...!

The new Trass Xpress lift is the easiest way up the mountain, although you'll need to catch a ski bus to get to it from the centre of town, if that's where you're staying.

Have fun!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just got back from zell

stayed at the hotel seehof by the lake, an awesome hotel that served us an excellent food all week, prefect position just off the main square and 5 mins walk to the cityexpress gondola (passing spar on the way for chocolate and juice )

on monday night (fire and ice show) we followed the sound of music and found a hot air balloon in the (tiny) main square Shock
and on wendnesday the freaks on snow show at the cityexpress gondola is a must see

beginners dont miss maiskogle (nice long gentle blue off the first chair) and know where near as busy as zell

some piccys of runs in zell-am-see with a video of the freaks on snow finale

snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 5-02-08 23:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grizzlybear, how busy was the Wednesday show, and how long did it last? I'm thinking about it next week, but want to be sure it's worth the effort, as we're staying out of town,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Kaprun at the moment - weather is patchy and the lake is not fuly frozen in Zell at this point - i.e. wouldn't catch mw walking on it .

By March I would imagine that Zell skiing would start to suffer if the season's weather continues, but the skipass and bus network linked to the 2 cable cars up to the Kitzsteinhorn will get you to some good and expanding skiing within an hour. New black runs in this year and a new 6 seater heated chair to the upper parts of the area.

For those of you on the way out it is set to get a dusting of snow midweek but nothing significant. There is plenty of the stuff up the Galcier and as usual it begins to form into mini-moguls by about lunch time.

Maiskogel is better than this time last year but could do with some real snow. Both Kaprun and Zell seem busier this year
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
grizzlybear, how busy was the Wednesday show, and how long did it last? I'm thinking about it next week, but want to be sure it's worth the effort, as we're staying out of town,

the freaks on snow show was about 1hr long
individual jumpers, combined jumpers and then all at once for the finale (see vid in album link above) with dancers inbetween, as they walk back up
i think they do maiskogle on monday night

it was fairly busy and fun to walk/slide up/down the bottom of the slope to get close to the jump
ski holidays
5 of us booked yesterday for zel, week of 1st march staying at hotel seehof. sounds like a nice place, hope the cover holds up.
snow conditions
We've never had any big problems with snow in March. Admittedly last year was a bad year low down, but on the whole, we have usually had as much snow in March as in January, and often lots of fresh.

Obviously every year is different!

D
ski holidays
New falls today Thursday 7 Feb. But warmer so lower area of Maiskogel is thick and slushy. All looks good for the glacier. And also good as far as middle lift on Maiskogel.
snow report
Matthew Way wrote:

Zell was better but at New Year much too busy. Could take 45 mins queue to get into the gondola.
The snow was great above mid station but very icy near the bottom.

The town is not a traditional ski village. We skied down to the City Express Gondola expecting to have a coffee break in a nice cafe but it was like arriving in Nottingham City Centre

We were there at New Year, IMHO I thought it was a lovely place, very pretty, it was quite busy but we never queued more than 10 mins for the main chair Shocked The restaurant at the the top of the Cityexpress was very busy at end of the day, but the other restaurants were fine.
The show on a Weds night is good fun to watch, they were all children jumping when we went, it lasted about half an hour, and then theres a big stampede of people heading back doen the slope Shocked i had no choice but to slide down on my bum! Great fun Laughing
Make sure you find the mountain hut Gapfelbahn?? (cant quite remember) there is an opening just at the bottom of the chair lift that leads to a track leading to the restaurant, you catch a skidoo tow back, great fun Laughing
ski holidays
feefee, The restaurant you're talking about is called Pinzgauer Hutte and it's at the bottom of the Kapellebahn chair. But you're right, it is great fun!
ski holidays
Hi all. Have booked to go to Kaprun on 1st of March. There are 6 of us all early intermediates. Would appreciate any advice on nice places to go or anything at all. Is Zell worth going to also? Lift pass covers both areas. Just seen the 10 day forecast and looks good as far as snow is concerned. only 2 and a half weeks to go!!! and also what are the prices like? food, drink etc
ski holidays
rukas2111, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There are three ski areas covered on the lift pass:-

Maiskogel (Kaprun) is the smallest of the three and the one I've never skied. It's not the best area for beginners as I'm told the run back to resort is quite steep.

Kitzsteinhorn is a glacier just a short bus ride away......if the weather is good, then that is definitely worth a day or two, or three - just remember though, if the weather is bad it's not a fun place to be. Also you can only go up the bottom lift once a day on your lift pass. The runs here are mainly blues/reds, but be aware that many of the lifts are T-bars.

Schmittenhoe (Zell am See) is probably the best of the areas for skiing. If you get the ski bus from Kaprun, it stops at the bottom of the Arietbahn gondola. There are a number of nice blue/red runs on that side of the mountain that are perfect for beginner/intermediates. The runs down in to Zell am See are all quite steep, so you may decide that it is best to use a gondola to get down at the end of the day. The run down the Ariet is a red, but by the end of the day can be quite tricky if the snow isn't great. Last week was busy and it wasn't a nice ski after 3pm.

I presume it will still be running in March, but on a Monday evening 8-9pm they do a ski/snowboard show that is worth a look at (at the bottom of the slope in Kaprun by the Baum Bar). There is also one on a Wed at the bottom of City Xpress that I think is the same guys, but this can get very busy. Kaprun has a nice swimming pool/sauna, and there is a skittles alley at the sports bar.

Prices seemed reasonable...I was staying full board so only bought one lunch....which was €9.60 for main & drink.
snow report
A couple of photos from last week

Schmittenhoe (taken from Sonnegg)

Kitzsteinhorn (taken from Schmittenhoe)
latest report
Elizabeth B,

Good and accurate write-up.

Excellent photos.
ski holidays
Hey Guys (and Girls!)

My girlfriend and I are close to booking our very first ski holiday (we are both ski virgins).

We're looking at the Hotel Romantik in Zell am See for a week beginning on 26th March - mainly because its cheaper at this time! The package we're looking at from Crystal Ski includes the usual flights + transfers + accommodation (half board), but in addition, it also includes "free" area lift pass and ski hire as part of their "Ski+" package (ski boots hired with the same package but charged extra).

As both of us have not ski-ed before, we will be doing a 3-day beginner course at one of the ski schools there.

Wonder if anyone could help with some questions:

1) Is it better to book the ski lessons in advance online? I suspect not as 26th March is into the off-season ...?

1) What happens at a ski school? For the 3 days, would they take us to nursery slopes (which I believe do not require a lift pass?) for the entire 3 day duration? I ask because if so, then it would be a bit of a waste to buy a package that includes a 6-day lift pass. If we only really need a lift pass for 3 days then maybe we could consider an earlier holiday (on a different package), to mitigate the risk of bad snow conditions?

3) Been reading the whole thread and late March seems to be bad for snow conditions - would this be a problem for beginners? I would hate to get there and not be able to do anything if the higher altitude runs aren't suitable for beginners.

4) Any general comments on total beginners learning to ski in Zell on w/c 26th March would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
latest report
tiching99, welcome to snowHeads

You could book the lessons through Crystal then you won't have to worry about any of it - i did in my early skiing years. I would always book in advance.

others who know the ski school better can advise on the rest (but I would recommend the Romantik Hotel - we had our summer hols there this year and are thinking of going back in the Winter)
latest report
tiching99, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

One of the advantages to learning later in the season is that one tends not to get quite so cold during those times that you're standing watching/listening to your instructor - a real plus IME.

These things are never guaranteed, of course, but it's likely that the conditions will be fine until at least lunchtime at that time of year - quite possibly longer.

I'm sure someone with more in depth knowledge will be along soon to answer some of your other questions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys ...

holidayloverxx, I would but Crystal only offer a full 6-day lessons package. We want to do only 3 days to keep our costs down! I might call the Crystal reservations line to see if they can do us a 3-day package instead, otherwise, we're looking at Sport Alpin who do a 3-day course for 155 Euros. Anyone come across this school before?
snow conditions
I went for the first week in April earlier this year and also the first week in April the previous year to Zell am See. The snow cover for the previous year was not ideal, but adequate and expected for so late in the season.

Earlier this year however, without wanting to put a damper on your holiday was just covered in slush. The Sonnenalm area was shut after about the 2nd day and all the lower runs were shut as the snow had pretty much disapeared. It was still skiable on the top of the mountain but I think there was only about 7 slopes open. I don't know what happened with the ski school as it is usually based in Schmittental, which is the next village along and that had little or no snow cover.

My advice would be to have lessons over here before you go!!! It isn't the same admittedly, but it definitely gives you a feel for skiing and it will make it a lot less overwhelming when you arrive. This way if there is partial snow cover on the lower runs you will be able to handle the higher runs (which aren't overly difficult anyway) with a lot more confidence. Make sure you get over to the Kitzsteinhorn at some point in your holiday as well, it's a glacier with 10x better conditions than the Schmittenhöhe. It's all included in your lift pass and there is a free shuttle bus at the City express which will take you right to it. Do check the weather report before you go though, it can be a little chilly up there and it's a lot higher up than the slopes around Zell.

RE lessons, I think they're a must. I can't comment on the prices and the best time to book but there is a pully lift at the Ski school, I'm not sure whether you require a pass to use it though. Make sure you're reasonably competent before you go (i.e. link plow turns, stop, control speed etc.) you will enjoy it so much more and as you say, you won't be stuck on the nursery slope half of your holiday.
ski holidays
tiching99, the advice above about having lessons before you go might well be a good idea, but you'll spend more on lessons in a snowdome than you woudl on the mountain I reckon. While you might well take to skiing really quickly and have eough competence/confidence to ski alone after only 3 days I wouldn't bank on it; it's a false economy in the early days - think of it as an investment. If you do decide to opt for 3 days check whether they are half days or full days - if only half days I think you will probably not be up to free skiing after only 3 sessions

as an alternative some tour operators run "learn to ski" weeks where everything is included, that might suit you as the costs are usually reasonable when compared to putting together the separate components.

As Leeds_Skier attests Zell was super slushy this year - I was there in February and it was a slush-fest, although I think it got colder later and conditions improved.
snow conditions
Depending on what snow conditions are like, it is possible that you would be learning on one of the beginner slopes up the mountain. If so, you would need a lift pass.
snow report
tiching99, We had our first ever ski holiday in Kaprun, through Crystal and had the ski package, lessons and equipment, couldnt fault it, they say 6 days for ski school but its only 5, the last day is just a race followed by a presentation!!
Ski school in Austria is usually full days, you'll do no harm booking privatley if it saves you money but the crystal package is usually very good value. Be prepared to have to buy a full lift pass if the snow is diminishing as they'll need to take you further up to the nursery slopes if the snows gone lower down, but I think the last few years the snow has been good later. You can decide on lift passes once your there though, no cheaper to buy them before you go!!
IF the snows not good its only 5 mins on the bus to the gacier at Kaprun! Although we preferred Zell, much prettier!!
ski holidays
tiching99, I'm sure you're getting a really good price for 26th March in Zell Am See. The prices for Zell will tail off sharply each week in March because you'll be taking a chance on the snow cover and quality. It's not to say you won't be lucky - I've seen fresh deep powder and proper cold down to 600m in mid April in Austria - but most likely the lower nursery area (schmittenhohe) would be closed by that time, and the mid mountain nursery area a bit springlike.

Zell is lovely place to be, and will be great for the resort experience, but although it's an "easy" mountain, I don't think the slopes are the best for beginners. From town, you need a bus to the nursery area at the base of the Schmittenhohe. But you only have 1 slope there. Then the progression from this area to the next nursery slope up is another bus plus gondola, or gondola + chair + crowded ski, then a gondola down. If the whole experience - hotel, resort, scenery, is as important as the skiing variety, then dont let this put you off Zell, otherwise you might want to consider resorts with more variety and accessibility of easy slopes.

If you do go for Zell, there's no need to prebook anything for that late in the season. I think I was there on about 3rd march a couple of years ago and the ski shops and ski schools were not remotely busy. Re. the ski hire, I scoured the internet, including German sites, for cheap deals, but actually the cheapest shops by far were 1 or 2 streets back from the gondola with no internet presence. It was too late for me by then unfortunately, having been ripped off online by Intersport. On the lift tickets - although TUI package deals are usually competitive, would have thought lift tickets would be low season prices by 26th march.

Anyway, my honest advice would be either:
1. If there's just the 2 of you, why not take advantage of the flexibility that gives you and start looking c. 2-3 weeks out for a late deal somewhere with good snow on the ground + a decent forecast for a cheap price?
2. If you're fixed on Zell, consider trading up 2 weeks pricewise to c. 12th March, trading down your hotel if need be.
snow report
Thanks again for all the replies guys - lots of good advice!

As advised by Leeds Skier, the missus and I have gone ahead and had a 3-hour ski lesson at Milton Keynes. Great experience, apart from the fact that I got a huge blister on my foot, and still frequently bend inwards too much in snowplough mode, making one ski carve into the snow stopping me from turning!

I've also taken the advice of holidayloverxxx and booked the 5-day ski course with Sport Alpin. I believe they have a nursery slope so presumably we'll spend the first few days (or so) there. Our package with Crystal includes a full lift pass so if they need to take us higher for lessons, as described by Elizabeth B that shouldn't be a problem.

JimiHendrix Thanks for the info, but I've already booked the holiday (before I posted my first reply!). Thanks anyway!

Last question - aimed mainly at someone who's been to Zell before: I believe Hotel Romantik is a good 10 minute walk from the gondola/ski lift (?). Would we need to carry our (rented) skis and ski boots to and from the hotel and the gondola every morning? ... and would is there some sort of locker at the gondola where we can keep our skis, ski boots, and also, our walking boots when we get there in the morning?

Thanks again!
latest report
tiching99, The Romantik is about 8 mns walk from the city xpress lift. What you need to know, and alpin can tell you (I assume you've booked direct and not through crystal), is where the ski school meeting place is - it could be at the city xpress gondola or at the bus station - see here http://www.sport-alpin.at/skischule_english/info/standort.htm . it could also be at the schmittenhohe gondola - for that you get the shuttle bus from the bus station which is a bit nearer to the hotel than the city xpress gondola, and in the evening you get the shuttle bus back. There are ski lockers at the city xpress, and I think there are some at the schmittenhohe but I dont recall seeing them. In any event it's not a big deal to walk in your boots and carry skis - we did every day from the Lebzelter which is 30 seconds walk nearer than the Romantik. To be honest I think it would be more of a palaver having to walk past the bus station to get to the locker to get skis and boots then walk back to the bus station. It really is all very close together.
snow report
tiching99, FWIW I used the lockers for my boots and skis at the Intersport shop under the city express and it does make things a little more painless - 20€ for the week
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
In any event it's not a big deal to walk in your boots and carry skis - we did every day from the Lebzelter which is 30 seconds walk nearer than the Romantik. To be honest I think it would be more of a palaver having to walk past the bus station to get to the locker to get skis and boots then walk back to the bus station. It really is all very close together.

Hmmm, I would say the Romantik is a bit more than 30 seconds further than Lebzelter, IMHO its easily double the distance to the City Express? If there is snow on the pavements it is enough of a walk to be a real pain in ski boots and carrying skis, especially downhill at the end of the day on tired legs.

The lockers at City Express are in the Intersport shop which is in the ground floor of the City Express base station. They could not be more convenient. There are now lockers in the rebuilt Schmitten valley station as well. If you do rent a locker then email them in advance and ask reserve a heated one, which means your boots are dry and toasty each morning.

I've never used them so cant be certain but I think that Sport Alpin take all their learners up to the slope at the valley station. If this is the case you would be better to rent a locker there. I would email them and ask specifically where you will be meeting so that you can plan it as well as possible.
latest report
robboj, well, I suppose my memory of a few weeks ago might be failing me, but I certainly wouldn't say it was twice the distance. I'd be amazed if I coudln't get from Lebzelter to Romantik in less than a minute. I would agree that if the meeting point is the city xpress then the lockers there would be a good idea.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy