Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Highest lift served ski resorts in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
We digged into the ski guide trying to figure out where to go in order to find the highest sking available in the alps, using lifts. Did not really find a good list in the google search, so we made our own list, but we are open to that it may have flaws. The list with the highest lift per resort mentioned:
Resort (main) Height Comment

1 Zermatt (CH) 3883 3899m summer ski
2 Chamonix (F) 3784 3842m deck,offpiste
3 Les2Alps (F) 3568 Snowcat, 3421m Usual lifts
4 La Grave (F) 3550 Offpiste (3200m gondola)
5 Saas Fee (CH) 3500 3600m summer ski
6 Cervinia (I) 3479 Linked to Zermatt as well
7 Stelvio pass (I) * 3465 Closed in winter
- Hellbronner 3459 near Courmayeur, Offpiste only
8 Val d'Isere(F) 3456 Espace Killy
9 Pitztal (A) 3440
10 Sölden (A) 3340
11 Alpe d'Huez 3330
12 Verbier (CH) 3330
13 St.Moritz (CH) 3305
14 Alagna/Gressoney (I) 3275
15 Marmolada (I) 3269
16 Val Senales (I) 3258
17 Sulden (I) 3250
18 Hintertux (A) 3250
19 La Plagne (F) 3250
20 Val Thorens (F) 3230
21 Les Arcs (F) 3225
22 Stubai (A) 3210
23 Kaunertal (A) 3160
24 Mölltal (A) 3122
25 Belalp (CH) 3112
26 Lötchental (CH) 3111
27 Obergurgl (A) 3082
Jungfrau top(CH) 3400 Summer,very limited
Sierra Nevada(E) 3275 Outside the Alps

And a few comments of my own: Cervinia is on the list as it offers its own spectacular lifts but in addition is linked to Zermatt. Stelvio is afaik closed during winter, as the only one. Esp.Killy has other high peaks on the VdI side proper, only the highest is listed. La Grave and Chamonix (Ag.Midi) offers only offpiste, &Chamonix starts a bit lower when it comes to snapping on the skis.
Now we have only been to a few of these but Zermatt stands out in every respect - highest, best views including Matterhorn, few queues, best restaurants-- Saas Fee as we tried for 1 day was somewhat disappointing with respect to the limited extent of the groomed pistes, but views are grand of course. Many resorts here offer summer ski, but not all. And some are really very small and could perhaps not be called "resorts"... but good for a day visit or two in nice weather. Some offer rather flat glacier skiing, some spectacular offpiste or blacks only to get away from there...

Now our ski guide might have some different heights than others, e.g. Ag.Midi is often listed as 3842m but he lift really ends at 3784m. Cham also has Grand Montets at 3275m - with groomed pistes. Saas-Grund at 3200m is not connected to Saas-Fee.

Agree that height is not everything, most good skiing is found lower than the top peaks in most resorts I have visited anyway - but for the "sightseeing" bit I find this interesting. And one aspect in the planning, next year will be ADH/L2A we think...

Did we forget anything ? Corrections welcome !

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-05-14 22:21; edited 12 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good list - would be useful for late or early season booking.

A couple of other lists would be nice.
1 - What are the highest none glacier resorts in the alps?
2 - What are the highest resort/villages in the Alps? i.e. Val Thorens, Kuhtai etc...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Technically I guess you should add Wengen to the list, as you can get the train up to the glacier at Jungfraujoch. Not piste skiing upi there though (other than a tiny slope).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An interesting list. I've visited a handful of those, some both summer and winter. As you suggest, there is quite a difference in what you actually get, in terms of how varied and how interesting the riding is.

So for example whilst Zermatt is spectacular, and the place from that list I've visited most in summer and winter, the glacier riding isn't particularly intersting or varied. Tignes has mogul slopes for example, and Sölden (glacier pictures from last weekend) has multiple aspects and even a "black" run.

From what I remember ADH is basically one steep run at the top, where as L2A is a flat topped place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
why?

height is far from everything...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And you missed Gressoney/Alagna at 3,275m
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
From what I remember ADH is basically one steep run at the top, where as L2A is a flat topped place.

They are like the inverse of eachother - ADH steep at the top, flat at the bottom; LDA steep at the bottom, flat at the top
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Grave is actually higher than shown which is to the top of the gondola. There's a drag further up to 3600m I think.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup, Alagna was forgotten. Bummer. Will correct my list, thank you.

We even went there in 2005 from Champoluc, then for the old 1964? version of the Indren lift - hopefully the new one is not as scary. But are there groomed pistes now ? Only (quite easy) offpiste back then...

But the "why" is explained, I think - just because there was no evident list, I created one. I am as I said very aware that most good skiing is not necessarily at the top- my best and non-windy skiing adventures has probably been around the 12-1500m mark in Kitz just after a snowfall or even mid into it. But there are the views and the sightseeing aspects as well. Myself, I get a headache at 3883m even by walking slowly to order my cappucino there--- so easy going.

I looked again at LaGrave whose lift ends at 3200m but the 3600m drag - isn't that the same as listed under L2A for 3558m ? I omitted Wengen for the reason said - no real skiing, just a train ride with a view. The highest skiing there is still James Bond condo at 2970m...in Murren.

The WTSS book lists the highest resorts as Kuhtai etc; Val Thorens I think qualifies as the highest resort of any substance.

And maybe Saas Fee should get more cred - where else do you see a revolving restaurant at 3500m at the top of a subway line ?

Does anybody on this list qualify as being "non-glacier" ? We did Mont Fort black but really did not notice if it was glacier or not, for example. But probably is.

Hopefully the list could be, if nothing else, a source of inspiration when looking at places for next season, and for many of these not necessarily for a full holiday. Mölltal is within a short train ride from BadGastein, for example. Many tour ops arrange this day trip. Being in Fiss, just across is Kaunertal (by car) - etc.

But thank you for your comments and corrections.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 12-05-14 14:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about la plague 3250m
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, will correct - the ParadiSki peak height is 3250m but is in La Plagne and not Les Arcs, which has 3225m as its peak height it seems.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Geh, fairy nuff.

The new Punta Indren lift really helps open up the Gressoney side but you lose the Alagna side without a hike. It's not pisted (thankfully) but not too difficult and last time we went down it was soooo skied... snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obergurgul- 3080m probably worth a mention
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Geh, The Mont Fort run is on a glacier, it's actually called the Glacier de Tortin, the Glacier du Mont Fort is on the back side.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Geh, No the drag to the top of L2A is a different one. There's a reasonable amount of distance between the top points of the 2.
snow report
I'm not sure that I've used it but according to my map the 'Teleski du Dome de la Lauze' takes you out of L2A to about 3510m. If you actually want to get to the Dome de la Lauze (3568m) then you have to walk or catch the caterpillar ski-tow which only runs at certain times. I've certainly never used that.

Also from the map, the top lift out of La Grave will take you to about 3550m and very close to the summit of the Dome de la Lauze. It's never been running while I was there.
snow report
Do we have to stick to the Alps? Not just mainland Europe.
Sierra Nevada, Spain?
Somewhere around 3300m.
latest report
good list.
snow conditions
Geh wrote:
I omitted Wengen for the reason said - no real skiing, just a train ride with a view. The highest skiing there is still James Bond condo at 2970m...in Murren.

Here is the Jungfrau piste at the top of the glacier when I was there last summer, may be short but it is a piste. The train station is at 3,454 meters, the piste must be about 50m lower.

snow report
The jungfrau lift, does it run in winter? Could be on the list but really stands out frome rest as you can actually not join the rest of the Wengen lifts/pistes from there afaik. Not even with a guide ? It seems outside the "resort" thing even though it seems like a nice playground.

Not seeing anything above 3000m in the Pyrrenees, Sierra Nevada on the other hand has a top lift at exactly 3300m so deserves a place on the list. Then there is of course Caucasus etc to the east but I think we draw the line here for practical reasons...
Obergurgl it is!
ski holidays
Laax is 3018m also.
snow conditions
I love lists of course, and this one is also a favorite:

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/582623/the-world-s-biggest-lift-served-verticals

Here you will also find the longest runs, biggest resorts and others. Also one asked for above, namely the highest resorts/villages of the alps to enjoy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy