Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts within a 5 hour drive of Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Answers on a postcard please.

Thanks Snowheads.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hawko, you are having a giraffe
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isola 2000

j2ski actually has a function which tells you where is reachable. On a serious note a ot depends on when you are driving getting south of Munich high season saturdays can add hours to a short journey.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-05-14 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hawko, I suspect there are an awful lot - do you have any particular criteria?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on time of day and day of week. Either half the alps, or Oberaudorf.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With Andy - can take 4 hours to nearest main resort ski welt/Garmish in change over traffic or on a perfect weekend or can easily make it down to Italy or resorts in Western Switzerland in 5 hours on clear roads.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hawko, Go west young man! As the others have said, heading east or south from Munich on certain changeover days can be a nightmare. I've taken 3 hours just to get home from work on a couple of occasions when the A8 was blocked&/or closed due to an accident or an incident!

The A96 is rarely "jam packed" in the same way as the A8/A93 on changeover days, the jams only arise once you cross into Austria at the Pfander Tunnel by Bregenz!

Five hours can get me easily into France and the Jura for example wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar wrote:

j2ski actually has a function which tells you where is reachable.

This, this is also how I job hunted Smile

Obviously the main road south from Munich can be jam packed but unless you need to travel on a saturday morning you will have a lot of options within 5 hrs of Munich, you can get a bus to Zurich in 3.5hrs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure we easily do Ski Amade from Munich in < 5 hours albeit on busy roads.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier, on a good day & not respecting Swiss law.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How long have you got? Which bit of Munich? From the airport Garmish is about 1.5 hours, another 1.5 gets you to the Ötztal, and from there you have a zillion places to go. Avoiding Austrian tolls and respecting all speed limits.

Ok, I've never driven there when kiddies have their holidays or at otherwise busy times, but the OP didn't specify those. Last Friday Munich's rush hour was almost none existent, at least I drive south through it with no delays.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig, that's because most people were on holiday last Friday! It was a long weekend because of the May Day holiday Laughing I was one of just 3 or 4 people working in my company, but at least I was working from home. You were just lucky.

I think your travel times are either extremely lucky, if based on personal experience or highly misleading if you are guessing! Monday of last week it took me over 2 hours to drive along the A8 and across Munich and out the other side to my office. I didn't bother using the A99 as that was doing a really good imitation of the M25 on a wet workday morning. Just because Google says it is x kms does not mean you can average that speed as well Toofy Grin There are a lot of speed limits along the A95 and some very happy police if you break them. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why drive. I trained from Munich to Mayrhofen (2.5 hours) and just checked Munich to Otztal is 3.5. I assume That also makes St Anton well under 4 hours and you can sit and have a nice cold beer on the train. As others have said, driving is a random experience. We have managed to make Mayrhofen in under 2 hours on a Saturday 5 times out of 9, with a couple of 7 hours and 2 3 and bits. Have to say coming back on a Wednesday we normally manage 2 hours give or take 15 mins but not always.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog,

Munich to St Anton was about 4 hours the last time I looked.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher, I do Munich / St.Anton in 2h15 these days ( on a good day )
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
musher, I do Munich / St.Anton in 2h15 these days ( on a good day )

I think musher was referring to the time taken by train, which was just short of 4hrs when I did it just over a month ago, as opposed to by car.

Car is rather hit and miss, last time I drove between the two it took me around the 2hr30 mark, the first time was over 4hrs, would've missed check in had the driver not used his blues n twos to get through the traffic.
snow conditions
Steilhang, Sitter,

Yes I meant the train. I don't like driving when on holiday. Too many other things to be done snowHead
ski holidays
Giraffe too
latest report
Anyone beginning to suspect this may be a journo making their research easy?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy