Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Beginner to BASI instructor in 3 minutes

Poster: A snowHead
Congratulations to Tim one of our Instructor FastTrack students who passed his BASI Level 1 instructor course today!!!

https://vimeo.com/73681479

Tim started starting skiing in March 2011 and he came to us after having done a few lessons at The Snow Centre. He wanted to improve his technique and become more confident on the slopes so that he would be ready for his first trip to the mountains. Once he felt steady on his skis he booked our Italian Food and Fun coaching holiday and after his first trip he was hooked!

Over the coming years Tim continued his training year round at The Snow Centre and is a regular member on our coaching holidays to the Alps. As Tim progressed he expressed an interest in Instructor training and joined our FastTrack training programme in the summer of 2013. After a bit of time to consolidate our course plus some specific training to get his skiing up the level he took the plunge and booked onto a BASI instructor training and assessment week in April 2014. Although a little unsure of himself (his coaches were sure) he PASSED. Very well done and it just goes to show that with dedication, training and a lot of enjoyment you can make great progress and have a lot of fun during the journey.

Tim typically skied in the dome once or twice a month. Initially half day clinics with some private coaching sessions when he wanted to work on something specific. Then moved on to full-day clinics plus a bit of free practice. As he has improved he skis indoors more frequently, usually twice a month, and has done around 5 weeks of coaching holidays in the mountains prior to his exams.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice compilation and "story".

Congrats to Tim.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that the same Tim who was on the Jan course, if so well done Tim, if not, well done Tim Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, yup thats him... aka rimmus on SH's
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done Tim Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Congratulations Tim - I hope you enjoyed the rest of week as much as you were doing on Monday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that what passes as a level 1? If so there is hope for a lot of people out there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stephen59 wrote:
Is that what passes as a level 1? If so there is hope for a lot of people out there!

snowHead

If you watch at the end there is a certain level of precision in demonstrating what are some fundamental techniques. You may rip it much better than Tim but you may not be able to demonstrate the techniques as well or with the required accuracy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stephen59, It's an introductory level, which is designed to qualify you to teach beginners at an indoor or artificial slope. Are you hoping to do the course?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well done to Tim (and to Inside Out for helping him along the way.) I knew he'd pass when I saw - in the flesh - the amazing baton twirling which is featured in the video. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well done Tim
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. My main feeling is relief.

It has been a real pleasure to work with skimottaret and rob@rar of Inside Out Skiing over the past 3 years and to ski with so many of you at Hemel or out in the mountains.

@skimottaret - you got this post together very quickly
@kitenski, kieranm - another pass from our training group
@Pedantica - thanks, sadly baton twirling was not on the syllabus and has not proved a transferable skill

For me the highpoint of the week was the teaching - which I loved, and also working in small groups giving feedback and working to improve other people's skiing.

For anyone who might be thinking of trying for Level 1... the level 1 course is training and assessment, so improvement is made during the week. The video shows my progress over the time frame, and that got me to the entry level required for the level 1 course (i.e. it was worth having a go at the course). We then had 5 days with a BASI trainer (Ali Smith) working particularly on our understanding and demonstration of the central theme as well as piste performance to get us up to the standard required to pass. There are things in the demos that skimottaret filmed the week before the course that would probably not have been a pass if they had not been improved during this week (particularly body management (posture, balance, movements) - which was a common problem for the whole group).

Tim
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rimmus wrote:
@skimottaret - you got this post together very quickly
We'll let you in on a little secret. The post was written earlier this week. Tuesday or Wednesday IIRC. We were pretty confident you'd pass wink

Well done. It's been a real pleasure to work with you. Now, onwards and upwards, but let's not forget the fun!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rimmus, Well done. Remarkable improvement in your skiing. Keep it up.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report
Well done Tim
It was a pleasure to work with you this week
🎿
Look forward to seeing ya shadowing at HH
snow conditions
Congratulations Tim! snowHead I'm not at all surprised you passed.
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Well done Tim
It was a pleasure to work with you this week
🎿
Look forward to seeing ya shadowing at HH

Good man; now is fairly quiet, but there is still stuff going on....
snow conditions
skimottaret, the progress videos you guys compile are superb.
snow report
skimottaret, Yep, agree with balernoStu, above. It all goes to show what consistent work / practice / tuition will do for you over time. Everyone can get good enough to have a BLAST and thrill themselves.
Well done Tim and well done IOS team.
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/permalink/10151999237140826/
Tim you're a Leg-end already!
wink
snow conditions
Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BASIMembers/permalink/10151999237140826/
Tim you're a Leg-end already!

Bah. "You must log in to continue". Why do people hide stuff behind facebook logins?
snow report
kieranm, it is just a link to the same video from this thread that I whacked up on the BASI FB page...
snow report
skimottaret, you have lots of clients who (unfortunately for you!) are rather old and unfit and who have a huge number of ingrained bad habits. It's time you did a video for us, showing how you systematically beat those bad habits out of us and taught us to become at least passable recreational skiers. There again, maybe you don't want to attract any more such clients...
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
There again, maybe you don't want to attract any more such clients...
Nah, the hard cases are the most fun!

wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, liar, liar, pants on fire!
ski holidays
Pedantica, Laughing
latest report
Pedantica, I will get right on it, after i mow the lawn, repaint the kitchen, repoint the patio, do the accounts, go to the gym, set up a new coaching holiday..... Blush
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I won't hold my breath, then. wink
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Pedantica, I will get right on it, after i mow the lawn, repaint the kitchen, repoint the patio, do the accounts, go to the gym, set up a new coaching holiday..... Blush

Do you use the right amount of separation for all those things wink NehNeh
ski holidays
As a evangelical convert to the benefit of lessons it is great to see the improvements and the benefits of doing L1. I think it is a very worthwhile introductory course. LI and L2 are fine achievements for holiday skiers and with experience are perfectly capable of delivering quality beginners lessons. When I'm Skiing with locals brought up near the mountains though I'm too embarrassed to mention BASI training as they might not be technically perfect but most would be level 3 standard with some technical training. I've had some good tips from level 2s I ski with but if they are being honest trainers view level 3 training as the level where it gets serious and it is diiicult to disagree when test tecnique and Eurotest are the entry standard for trainee instructors in some countries. I think the improvements I've made as a result of the BASI process has greatly improved my enjoyment of skiing like getting to enjoy bumps and whiteouts when others are struggling or giveing up and would definitely recommend the process but the perspective of skiing with local skiers is very humbling and have to be aware that I use my limited knowledge carefully.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy