Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on the up again?

Poster: A snowHead
Some companies have been showing a strong growth this year, others have seen things remain steady despite the conditions and a late easter. Could the snowsports industry finally be turning the corner after the decline throughout the recession and whatnot?

http://www.powpowpow.org/has-the-snowsports-industry-turned-the-corner/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has there been much of a decline??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.planetski.eu/news/5119

The FIS launched World Snow Day to combat the year on year drop in skiing participants:

http://skiracing.com/stories/fis-hopes-world-snow-day-will-combat-participation-decline/

Also, the Crystal Report in July showed a growth for the first time in 4 years
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damm - that just means it will be even busier
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's all downhill...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This in direct contradiction to CdA who operate 14 resorts who saw a 4.7% reduction in skier days overall.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110554&highlight=

I smell cowdoo somewhere
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, from their own half year figures.

http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/amf_en/CDA%20CA%20S1%202013-2014%20English%20version.pdf

Quote:
overall activity for the FY is expected to be on balance. This must be put into perspective after two years of strong growth. This solid business level testifies to Ski areas' resilience in an unfavorable context characterized by increased VAT, unfavorable European school vacation schedules and poor weather conditions in the second quarter.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 1-05-14 15:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, nah - lots of people taking their grandparents for childcare - so more people going - less skiers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, From another part of the report huge growth in peak weeks but naff all in low season. So it's you lot with school age kids that are increasing the tour ops profits paying those school holiday prices Toofy Grin and as you say taking MiL for the Nanny.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, the answer is to go out of school holidays and to somewhere off the tour ops "big names" lists. Then you get lots of nice quiet pistes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was lots of scaremongering about early season avalanche conditions, also about your guide or instructor possibly being arrested and not much snow to write home about... I think the press has a lot to do with ski resort business and particularly last minute bookings due to weather. I wish the press would help about a bit more, 1 negative article is probably worth about 10 positive ones in terms of social media and hype.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the press has sweet FA to do with ski business having a good bad or indifferent year. Likewise avy conditions or Michael Schumacher. School hol schedules, general consumer confidence and limpics would seem to have more to do with general skier visits.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes, External factors do seem to influence our sales. Last autumn we did a roaring trade in off-piste equipment, which tailed off with the reports of dangerous snow conditions in December and never really got going at the same level again. On the other hand, helmet sales went up dramatically after poor Schumi's accident. I know some of the ski schools in Tignes also saw people switch courses from off-piste to all-mountain on the back of the snow stability stories. Don't get me wrong, I think it's right that worries about conditions are publicised (although in some quarters of the press I think the response was over-dramatic- no surprise there), I'm just making the point that in our experience it affects consumer behaviour.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, indeed, but will have to compromise on Easter. Regardless of the regs I'm not sure would take kids out of sec school for week
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, Easter is a pretty reasonable bet - cheap (given that you drive and accommodation is at low season rates) and quiet. It's just a long time to wait!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Boris, Easter is a pretty reasonable bet - cheap (given that you drive and accommodation is at low season rates) and quiet. It's just a long time to wait!

Which is why we tend to do Christmas and Easter!
snow report
Quote:

It's just a long time to wait!

tell me about it Sad

As we had Christmas last year, it is extremely unlikely that both Mrs B and myself will be allowed that week again this year - has to be shared out amongst others.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think the press has sweet FA to do with ski business having a good bad or indifferent year. Likewise avy conditions or Michael Schumacher. School hol schedules, general consumer confidence and limpics would seem to have more to do with general skier visits.

I am quite convinced that the press has a lot to do with our bookings. As does snow fall. Even when it's effectively irrelevant. e.g. we get a rash (?) of bookings when it snows, even when the actual travel dates are months away. This year we had very few last minutes as the perception was that the snow wasn't good. I didn't get to ski a lot of powder to be fair but very few of our clients (and we are in Chamonix) want anything other than blue skies and well manicured pistes. Which all of them would have got all season (maybe not the blue skies).
snow conditions
feef wrote:
Some companies have been showing a strong growth this year, others have seen things remain steady despite the conditions and a late easter. Could the snowsports industry finally be turning the corner after the decline throughout the recession and whatnot?

http://www.powpowpow.org/has-the-snowsports-industry-turned-the-corner/

Most of the companies discussed do other things as well as skiing or skiing equipment. It isn't a worthwhile analysis.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Boris, the answer is to go out of school holidays and to somewhere off the tour ops "big names" lists. Then you get lots of nice quiet pistes.

No, really?? Not heard you say that before Very Happy
ski holidays
kat.ryb, yes, I don't know why I do, really. Call it sheer altruism. I should just pipe down and enjoy the quiet pistes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy