Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Chamonix Valley Winter 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
I am exploring the possibility of skiing & climbing in the Chamonix valley for the whole of next winter. I am familiar with the skiing, but have only ever stayed in Chamonix UCPA & a chalet in Argentiere (demolished 20 years ago!) apart from summer camping. I have found some useful information elsewhere on the forum about possible sources of accommodation using agencies.

Between Les Houches & Argentiere/Le Tour & even Vallorcine, there are clearly lots of locations & different types of accommodation available. Can anyone please help with recommendations of good locations - good in the sense of;

- meeting up with individuals or groups on a similar jaunt,

- more affordable areas, but still convenient

- which parts of the valley to avoid (dueling banjos or just gloomy backwaters)

Any help much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whats you're budget for accom???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditto... Budget?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For lots of info join the local message board/info http://www.chamsocial.com/ ignore the occasional slagging match that goes on - source of some great and not so great deals.

Outside of Chamonix proper is much cheaper - unless you are a party animal Cham sud Sucks - Cham sud is aflicted by petty crime - cham sud is super convenient for almost everything.

A car can be a necessity or at least a blessing in Cham - if you live in the wrong place its a curse.

Meeting people, easy - turn up for first lift - better still get here in the inter season it's a much more welcoming place.

Personally I live at the Prarion in Les Houches - Much cheaper than many places - bus 2 min , train 10 min (walk) motorway 3 min drive - slope side for a quick ski - Midi is 10 min by car - downside, nearest Pub 10 min Chamonix is a pain to get back from at night without driving, can be a bit too quiet.

Can be a very pushy place to live in at times - if you want to learn it's great but intimidating, you will never be top dog in any sport, even if you rank in the top 0.01% here there is always someone better.

Accom is about €500 a month for a room in a shared house or a micro studio up to £10'000 a week or more for a swanky Chalet Wink

Don't use accommodation agencies unless you like throwing money away!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buddy1664, AlpineAddict, Idris,

Dear All

I'm not really sure about budget. I am not an impoverished student. I am however from Yorkshire & therefore "careful". I was thinking of a place which would comfortably house 2, with 4 at a pinch for shorter periods (family & the odd friend). I suppose around £5000 for the season, give or take a euro or two. Perhaps a bit more for something just right? I may be miles out?

Would a room in a shared house be likely to resemble Rising Damp/The Young Ones? I am a little too long in the tooth for that. I would probably bring a car, but am happy not to if circumstances dictate that. 10 minutes from an ale house sounds a bit of a challenge, but might do me good.

I am very keen to improve/learn, & don't have any illusions about being a top dog. I am striving to be OK!

Thank you all for responding.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I stayed in a two storey apartment above The Office in Argentiere for 2 months in 2001.Booked through the agency next to the Savoy Bar. Argentiere - Best village and best skiing in Chamonix but you know that already.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris, do you have any tips on how to find accommodation without using an agency? I'm on the chamshare mailing list and there are lots of people asking for accommodation on there at the moment, much more than being offered. I'll be looking for a share/studio for next season but won't be there full time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HammondR, u have a PM dude...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I stayed in a two storey apartment above The Office in Argentiere

Good bar too!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlpineAddict,
Forgive me Mr Addict but I am knocking on a bit. I am sure that this is all very helpful, but what is a PM, & where exactly will I find it?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlpineAddict,
My word, I think I found it. How cleaver!

I will reply in the morning. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did this in 12/13... do it, you won't regret it. Chamonix is a fantastic place for it.

Booked my accommodation through Insted (language school in town, although you don't need to be doing a corse to take advantage of then cheap accommodation). I was in a cramped flat with three other (cheapest option) if you're willing to pay more you can get a room or even whole flat.

http://www.insted.com/chamonix-accommodation/en

Chamonix Sud gets a bad press but it's not so bad. It is super convenient for everything, including the Aguille Du Midi. It's one of Europe's most exciting tourist attractions, it's right on your doorstep and you can use it as much as you want with the unlimited season pass. Also good shops and bars nearby and the biggest bus station with direct busses almost everywhere in the valley.

Only thing I'd change from my time out is...buy ski leashes! losing a ski in powder mid way through a ski season is a bummer and puts a dent in the beer fund.

If you've any questions at all, feel free to PM me
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just come back from 3 months out in Chamonix!

I went with a mate and we rented an apartment in Chamonix Sud, 2mins from the Aigulle Du Midi cable car station. For the 3 months it cost £4000 between us and he agreed to pay 60% as he got the double bedroom, whereas I slept on the sofa bed. Another mate joined us for a month and the apartment had another pull-out bed which he used (also brought the cost down for each of us). This included ALL bills and internet Very Happy

Cham Sud is ideal if you don't have a car - buses to everywhere you want to go, very frequently. Lots of bars on your doorstep, plus 5-10min walk to the centre where more bars are. Didn't notice any criminal activity whilst I was there, but occasionally heard shouting and chanting at 1am from drunk groups (didn't bother me as I probably did the same when I was out haha). There is also a Carrefour supermarket 500m from Cham Sud and then a Super U a short 10min walk away.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jsrt201,
I would PM you but I can't figure out how. I have tried!

Can you recall how far in advance of the season you booked (e.g. was it very early or last minute)?

Cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
srogers13,
Any details of who you booked this with? Information appreciated.
snow conditions
More or less last minute. I think with 2 months notice.
snow report
Dear All

Thank you for your assistance in this. I have found somewhere that looks fantastic (if a little expensive) from 3rd January to the end of April 2015. I will report back next year on what it is like for future generations.

I will have to start a couple of new posts on how to sort out one or more seasonal lift passes, & what on earth to do about Euros for rent & living

Cheers
snow report
Hamster, just ask Jezza what he does when he goes on his driving holidays around Europe whilst You and Captain Slow are on the Train/Plane/Bus etc.... Toofy Grin
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Hamster, just ask Jezza what he does when he goes on his driving holidays around Europe whilst You and Captain Slow are on the Train/Plane/Bus etc.... Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy