Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cyclists - a great week to come out in the summer to ride closed roads FREE !

Poster: A snowHead
Again this year for two separate weeks a number of cols are shut to motorists from 09:00 to Noon and it's a great way to experience closed roads without having to sign up (and train) for the likes of the Etape and Marmotte in a real fun festival type way as you literally get all shapes and sizes on all types of bike cycling up and down the mountain(s).

This is the schedule - I always do the first act though last year did not do Granon as I was gate crashing* the Marmotte the next day

ACTE 1 : du 30 juin au 4 juillet 2014 : rejoignez la légende !
Durant cette semaine sportive, vous vous mesurerez aux grands cols mythiques du nord département des Hautes-Alpes !

lundi 30 juin : Col Agnel
mardi 1er juillet : Col d’Izoard
mercredi 2 juillet : Col de l’Echelle
jeudi 3 juillet : Col du Galibier
vendredi 4 juillet : Col du Granon

ACTE 2 : du 11 au 15 août 2014 : découvrez nos cols insoupçonnés
Durant cette semaine , vous découvrirez les cols insoupçonnés (mais costauds !!) du sud du département des Hautes-Alpes !

lundi 11 août : Col de Pommerol / Fromagère
mardi 12 août : Montée de Chabre
mercredi 13 août : Col de Foureyssasse
jeudi 14 août : Montée de Céuze
vendredi 15 août : Col du Noyer

More info can be found here http://www.velo05.fr/les-cols-reserves/

And the link below is photos of all the riders going up on the Izoard, and as you can see there are all types of bike, even uni cycles and all types of shape and size and type of cyclists!

http://www.griffephotos.com/YOUR-2013-PICTURES-BICYCLES-Le-Col-de-l-Izoard-July-2013-02-July-2013,1445,2,en,f1.html

If you have any questions re logistics etc I'll do my best to answer.

There is also the TDF stage from Grenoble to Risoul on Saturday 19th July, but the Cols week is so much better but basically staying in the Briancon / Serre Che area is the best option

* we cycled down to Bourg 45 mins before they started and then at Lautaret went back to Serre rather than ADH
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit of an update - my mate is now using the above as his "stag" do rolling eyes

Numbers now up to seven, coming out the Wed, then will do the Galibier on the Thurs and Granon on the Friday, then a big loop on the Sat, but I'm advising against doing the Marmot loop, probably either Echelles, Bradonechhia, Montgenevre or Izoard / Guilliestre.

And then a lot of hydrating Sat pm, then they go back Sunday.

Three or four very fit young feckers in the group, though I'm hoping that me being used to altitude as I would have already been out for a few weeks will help me!

Staying in the Plein Sud Chantermerle, me as well, which is a bit weird as I only live just up the road Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, reminds me of our stay in the Alliey when the apartment was booked at the last minute, but it was very enjoyable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That looks like a good trip Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're out there (in Hells Bells apartment) the first week, will check it out Gavin Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
KenX, I'm obviously out as well!

Think I'm going out around June 10th and will stay till end of July.

The stag trip guys are arriving late Wed (now ten in total), so if you fancy any of the days let me know, if you only do one then Izoard is a must, and not super steep.

I've never done Agnel so will do that, though is a bit of a drive to get to.

Did 180km yesterday as went riding with a mate who is doing his tenth Etape, this year it's down in the Pyrenees.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, 180km? I'm impressed. Only did 110km yesterday (and I was hurting at the end)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby, and rattled off another 100 on Sunday Smile

Hill intervals today, that will hurt, 5 or 6 drags up the same hill circa 4.45, not too sure about a long ride this week, weather looking a little shabby, though potentially windy so could well be kiting Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
KenX, I'm obviously out as well!

Think I'm going out around June 10th and will stay till end of July.

The stag trip guys are arriving late Wed (now ten in total), so if you fancy any of the days let me know, if you only do one then Izoard is a must, and not super steep.

Stag trip guys sound cool, which bar do we meet in Smile

More of a MTB guy me, but we should meet up for a meal (you me and OH's)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been out for nigh on a couple of weeks already and have done a fair number of rides already - first day of the Cols tomorrow and it's a big one Col Agnel, though does depend where you start from Puzzled

I've been updating in another thread with pictures etc in Resort Reviews and Trip Reports here

Today it's the main Luc Alphand cycling event when a good couple of thousand take to the roads to do two routes (yesterday was a 207km but not that popular), but unfortunately the weather is pretty grim. I was sort of planning a day off anyway as I could not be bothered to pay €45 to cycle on roads that I use anyway, even though you could cycle without paying, but I was advised that on the descents you get many that don't know what they are doing and it's one thing being taken out on the piste at speed but doing down a mountain on a bike at 50km plus Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, Sorry for being stupid here but are these road closures for specific groups or can anyone just arrive up at the foot of the climb and head on up...???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/Magazine/1-jour-1-col/Les-cols-2014-1-JOUR-1-COL
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlpineAddict, you just turn up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict, that's why it's such a good way of doing it, no pressure, no timing to worry about etc etc

And like I've mentioned you get so many different types of people doing it, from old Pros in their 70's (I rode up Izoard yesterday with one) to families on mountain bikes.

They shut the Col to traffic at 09:00 and then re open at Noon. So you just turn up when it suits you and get on with it, with refreshments all free of charge at the top.

Today was a dank start after heavy overnight rain, and I was taking it easy (leant over after dinner with Ken & Lyn) as I want to rest the legs in advance of the next three days, so I drove up to the start, got the bike out and cycled all of 6km (up and down) on the Col de l'Echelle.

The reason for even doing today was to get my Brevet signed off, which shows that I've done each Col, and then by the end of the week when I've done them all I think I get a free souvenir T Shirt !!

Tomorrow is the big one, Galibier, though you could always drive up to the Lautaret and start from there.

After this week the next week is in August 11- 15th more info here http://www.velo05.fr/les-cols-reserves/

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 2-07-14 12:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thx folks (brock and Hells Bells... Is this an annual thing...? I knew nothing of this...

I am gutted really as planning to be in LC for the week of the 11th - 15th August where it seems most closed Cols will be over towards 73. Also noticed that the week after I leave, the Col de la Madeleine and Col du Glandon are available...

Talk of bad timing... Sad But if annual then I can plan for next summer at least...

Edited to say thx Weathercam as well... think we posted at the same time Smile Might think about driving over to some of the cols in that week Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-07-14 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
AlpineAddict, The Cols Reserve week is definitely an annual thing (this is my third time doing them), and it always seems to be before the Saturday of the Marmot - so you should be able to make plans - I'm not too sure about the Savoie/Mont Blanc ones ??
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
AlpineAddict, The Cols Reserve week is definitely an annual thing (this is my third time doing them), and it always seems to be before the Saturday of the Marmot - so you should be able to make plans - I'm not too sure about the Savoie/Mont Blanc ones ??

Awesome, thx...
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

And like I've mentioned you get so many different types of people doing it, from old Pros in their 70's (I rode up Izoard yesterday with one) to families on mountain bikes.

When you go up the more iconic Cols such as Izoard and Galibier there are "Pro" photographers taking pics and then they hand you a card so the next day you can look up the photos they took of you.

And this link are the photos for Tuesday on the Izoard and the twenty of so photos feature a number of riders that pretty well encapsulates what I was alluding to about the many different types of rider.
ski holidays
And just came across this http://road.cc/content/news/122335-british-cyclist-killed-head-collision-he-descends-alpe-dhuez which is so tragic - I always descend with an element of caution (which tends to increase as you get older) but you never know what might be around the corner.........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy