Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Supersport Allstar too bad for ocasional off-piste? Alternatives?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying new skis. I was almost convinced of getting the new Volkl Supersport Allstar (excellent reviews). Recently someone has told me that they are too heavy and stiff for offpiste. I do 80% ski in piste and about 20% off-piste. I would like to start going more and more off-piste but I dont want to be heavily penalized by carrying too heavy skis.
I have been advised to go for a more versatile (i.e. Elan Magfire 12 or Fischer ). OF course this would behave better offpiste but, are they good and fast enough in piste?

My big question is, should I go for the Volkl (cross) or for one of the other two? I would like to hear from people using ay of those skis, an their personal experiences on off piste with them.

Thank you very much...

Bye,

Sergio
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My goals were exactly the same, Sergio, and wanted to try the Allstars but none were mounted for testing. I bought the Head Monster 72 because it was superb on piste and excellent in crud and shallow powder and barely noticed the difference between the two. Definitely worth a try imo
eng
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VOlkl Karma. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sergio, Welcome to snowHead!

There's another thread going at the minute where it is being argued that there is no need for fat skis.

What experience do you have?
Where do you ski?
What skis are you currently on?

It's hard to make reasonable suggestions without having a bit more info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Karma is not a Fat Sk, your opinion is subjective. 130 under foot is a fat ski, 66 under foot is a narrow ski, a medium ski would therefore be around what underfoot. Get with the times guys, Darwin would be turning in his grave and the Ludites will walk the earth again. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

I am 28, have got around 18 years experience but have been out of the slopes for 6 years. I used to be quite a good skier but I am not familiar with the new styles. I used to ski with 200cm skis!! (I am 188cm tall). I know now all this has changed, as I am looking at something around 176cm. I am planning to spend quite a bit of time skiing this year (40-50 days), so hopefully I will be able to catch up. I have skied a lot in the past in Spain and Alps (France, Austria and Italy).
I have to fly everytime I go skiing so I would prefer to have just one pair as opposed to one pair for piste and another for off-piste (which would be the best option).
I really fancy the Volkl Allstar, still a bit worried about their off-piste behaviour. On the other hand, a more versatile one perhaps would not give me the respones that I want in piste skiing.
Currently I am on no skis at all. Sad

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sergio
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I hope you don't sell skis in you shop, cause your style and advice are extremely off-putting. You start off by suggesting a ski without knowing anything about the skier's ability, apart from the fact that they want to spend most of the time on-piste. You then decide that for 80% on piste, that a ski which Volkl markets as being a "wider body" ski, as being the ideal solution.
You don't happen to be trying to offload a few pairs?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sergio, you may want to take a look at something like the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel, on piste they will give you good performance and fun, yet they will cope with adventures off piste quite well. If you start to spend more time in deep powder, then it would be better to get something like the Volkl Karma, K2 Public Enemy, or if you want to go softer, the Salomon Pocket Rocket.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sergio,

If you're an experienced skier, and planning to spend a lot of time skiing this season, then I would spend the fisr few days demoing a few different skis. Everyone on here will give you different opinions according to their own preference, but it really is each to their own.

For your information, a friend of mine has the Allstar, it is the only ski he owns and he uses it all over the mountain. He is a strong skier (PSIA full cert), and his style of skiing is very fast and aggressive - he likes a stiff ski. But he is also equally at home off piste. He said the Allstar works fine for him off piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I hope you don't sell skis in you shop, cause your style and advice are extremely off-putting. You start off by suggesting a ski without knowing anything about the skier's ability, apart from the fact that they want to spend most of the time on-piste. You then decide that for 80% on piste, that a ski which Volkl markets as being a "wider body" ski, as being the ideal solution.
You don't happen to be trying to offload a few pairs?

Sorry to say but we sell heaps of skis in our shop, people seem to apprieciate our ' No nonsense policy.' You see, we help build, design and develop skis. We know what goes into them and why. We then let others market them without ever having skied, so reading reviews and regurgitating them is nonsense. I have skied the Karma for three years now, three to four times a week, i've sold them to all manner of skier. The side cut, the stiffness, the length has all been well balanced. I recon it rips on piste, better than many of the piste skis and although a little narrow for big powder days, skips and bounces like a Leverette. Maybe a little more time working with the product and time on the snow, may you understand these factors. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
deleted my original comment.

From now on I'll recommend the karma as a suitable ski for beginners and racers alike. Who cares whether it is the right ski or not.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For someone who has skied a lot I would think those skis would quite suit you.

At the risk of sounding boring you could add the Dynastar 8000 or Stockli XL to your list of skis to try.

The XL has great edge hold and will go in the deep very well. The 8000 will float a bit better but will not track ice as well as the XL.
I would use both skis as an 80% off-piste, 20% on-piste type of use but the XL will not want for anything on piste outside of a dedicated slalom ski IMV.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat,

You've tried a lot of skis, so post your opinion.
It isn't a one man show here and one of the best things on this site is that the combined experiences of posters covers a hell of a lot of stuff...!!

You know all of this anyway. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I have only tried about a dozen of this seasons skis so far, so I am of limited knowledge compared to our friend in Chamonix. I just find it amazing that anyone would suggest a ski without knowing a skier's ability, or where they like to ski.
I posted my opinion above on skis worth looking at, and perhaps I'd add the Rossi B3 to that list as well, now that I've thought about it further.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,
I've only read review and I liked what I read about the Karma. Whether I would try it I don't know, depends on a few things, but the good thing is
that I know its out there and its one to consider. That is in some small part due to this site along with a whole host of posts.

I don't generally like wide planks but I will try the 8800 so the Karma is in this bracket. It will need to have on-piste performance rather than function though and I will not know that until I've tried it. Ain't nobody else got to like it but me if I'm skiing it.

And for me, 87mm is a wide plank..not the widest by any means but....

Not sure about the B3 as I'm not fan of the B2 but plenty people are and this is what the poster wants...opinions and alternatives and your opinion counts as does anyone elses.... Smile
snow report
JT wrote:
your opinion counts as does anyone elses.... Smile

Glad you think so, others seem to see me as a Ludite!
ski holidays
Hey Foxy, no offense caused i hope. It's so easy to become embroiled in a Perfect Ski discussion. Belive we when i say no two opinions will match, however there is, for me too much push on, this ski is the right one for your level. It's phsicological. When we first got the Karmas those of us that can ski raved about them, those whom couldn't, then wanted to ski on them, then raved about them. They did ski well on them and became better skiers. It's impossible to say wether they would have skied better anyway without the Karmas, but my point is it didn't hinder them like you would imagine skiing on something marketed above your level. You get me? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Just to be a little leftfield (qui, moi?)...

Just to clarify - by off piste do we mean everything from boiler plate to breakable crud? Or just the occasional venture off the beaten track when it looks as though there's been fresh snow and it might be quite nice over there under the cornice? This would make a big difference to recommendations, non...?

I'd suggest (apropos of nothing) Bandit B2s (not that I like them you understand but many people seem to and they seem to be reaonable for occasional off piste excursions) or Rossi 9X Oversize. Excellent piste performance, light enough in bumps and wide enough tip and tail that if you know how to ski off piste they're a joy.

But then, I like that little bit of challenge - having to know what you're doing I mean... wink

You really need to try before you buy. There's just no way around it.
snow conditions
And then,
know why,
you don't,
wan't to buy.

THE METRON

Twisted Evil
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Just to be a little leftfield (qui, moi?)...

Just to clarify - by off piste do we mean everything from boiler plate to breakable crud? Or just the occasional venture off the beaten track when it looks as though there's been fresh snow and it might be quite nice over there under the cornice? This would make a big difference to recommendations, non...?

I'd suggest (apropos of nothing) Bandit B2s (not that I like them you understand but many people seem to and they seem to be reaonable for occasional off piste excursions) or Rossi 9X Oversize. Excellent piste performance, light enough in bumps and wide enough tip and tail that if you know how to ski off piste they're a joy.

But then, I like that little bit of challenge - having to know what you're doing I mean... wink

You really need to try before you buy. There's just no way around it.

Hmmm, lets test that. See you next time you're in Cham' Davey?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, see you there...I'll be the one on the 203 Rossi STs...
snow conditions
I've got B2s, they work fine off piste for me.
ski holidays
Kramer, they are well regarded, at least anecdotally. I must admit they weren't my cup of chai, but we well know how personal ski likes/dislikes are!
snow conditions
B2's work for me too, great on and off-piste, big grin all day long. Very Happy
ski holidays
I loved B2's as soon as I tried them, as a fairly light weight skier I don't find them too soft.
ski holidays
Scarpa, (ducking for cover first...) what does "soft" mean?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, how does Monday suit? Should I get the STs out the shed?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy