Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Celebrations 2015

Poster: A snowHead
After lots of deliberation my family & I have our February half term ski holidays booked.
We are now contemplating going away to take in the New year celebrations (not Christmas), probably France.
Criteria.
Date 27/12/2014 for 1 week.
SNOW SURE. As we have no choice but to go in the school holidays and paying a fortune, we need somewhere with an excellent snow record.
My wife is a timid beginner, so good for beginners with a good ski school.
Good Intermediate skiing for my twin daughters and I.
Great New year celebrations.
Flights from the North of England, we will not be driving.

Please guys no "do you have to go then?" questions. Yes we do...............
My wife is a teacher and we would not take the girls out during term time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

DJ

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-04-14 23:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Menuires ( Reberty) works for me, choice of ski schools, I have used both in Reberty and much of a likeness. New Year celebrations with fireworks and band etc in the centre of town.

For really snow sure Val Thorens and Tignes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that blahblahblah, I will have a good look at Les Menuires.
I have seen the Tignes videos etc for New Year, looks great but not too sure about suitability skiing wise for my wife.
Regards,
DJ
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drunkenjoiner, Tignes might prove to be trickier. In Les M or Reberty you are right on the slopes no faffing around.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also have a look at ARC 1950/2000 depending on budget, and it is probably worth hiring a car for the transfer for any of these destinations. 4 of you in a bus will be expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
blahblahblah,
In terms of Les Menuires is there a good point to stay in terms of the ski school meeting point?
Thanks,
DJ
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drunkenjoiner, Or Vallandry - have been several times at Christmas and always had snow - is easy to get up to Arc bowl but there is lots of easy skiing above Vallandry. As a satellite resort I think prices are slightly cheaper as well - can book through tourist office site
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drunkenjoiner, http://media2.lesmenuires.com/2013/09/plan-station-Menuires.pdf

Croisette is where most ski schools meet. E4 on the map, I used ESF in Reberty in K2, I think you might be able to get ski school in 4J. The buses are free and frequent.

http://en.lesmenuires.com/winter/ski-resort/resort-map
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Guys,
All your help is greatly appreciated.
I will look at Vallandry, Boris. Cheaper sounds good at this stage. Having to go in the school holidays both breaks the bank and my heart Crying or Very sad
That said the right place and a great holiday means more to me than a few quid.
Regards.
DJ
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drunkenjoiner, you have a PM Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If opting for Les Menuires, and using ESF, you could do a lot worse than the Ski Amis Chalets de Bruyeres: they are literally right on the piste, 20m from the Bruyeres gondola, and the ESF have a meeting point about 20 m away too. I stayed with them a couple of years ago the week before Christmas and had a great time. I think they have a 10% off deal running this week too. The rooms aren't the biggest, but they are pretty reasonably priced.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drunkenjoiner, if you rent via the tourist board, you can often get discount on lift prices as well. feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any more info - I have no affiliation with Vallandry, just like it and we have been as a family there for the last 8 years!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drunkenjoiner, just a word of warning; you can not, of course, be guaranteed "excellent snow" at New Year anywhere and the places which have both very high altitude pistes AND tree skiing for those cold, windy, flat-light sort of days will be amongst the most expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drunkenjoiner, we have stayed in La Tania for the last three new year holidays and although low there the snow has been fine further up and we have had three good weeks as it is part of 3v

One word of caution is to book things like ski school well in advance as it can get booked up with some of the schools. We always self cater and the village has some fire works at midnight etc.

Each year we wonder if we will try somewhere new, but then my wife is a timid skier and likes to go to runs she knows, and uses the bus to get to Courchevel from La Tania on some days and just skis the green runs so we book to go back. It is a holiday after all and I cant be doing with getting grief for the run near accomodation being "too hard" - which I got when we went to Reberty

Weather at new year can be quite dark and variable compared to later in the season, but we enjoy not being in the UK after the chaos and busy time of Christmas that our family has (for reasons too boring to go into here)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but we enjoy not being in the UK after the chaos and busy time of Christmas that our family has

can sympathize with that - that's why I try to be in the Alps for Christmas. Will be in the Alps for New Year too but, as for NY 2014, you'll not find me near an alpine slope that week - far too busy, difficult to find a parking spot, big lift queues. Worst week of the year.
ski holidays
pam w, it is the best week of ski ing for us though - only week we all go as a family, and I dont find the queues too bad in 3v - well not the three years we have been going anyway
snow conditions
Thanks everybody for all your input.
At this stage I really like the look of Les Menuires and I'm on with getting prices together for lots of different options in and around there.
Because of the time my family and I have to take our holidays I am fully used to the fact that I will be subsidising people to go at less peak times and that my holidays are going to cost a bit.
Queues do not bother me either, yes I would rather be up the mountain skiing, but echoing chrisb's sentiments, I am holiday with my wonderful family having an amazing time, in an amazing place, what could be better. While in any queue we just talk, where we've just been sking, where we going next, what we did last night, what we doing tonight.........................get the picture.
Any more suggestions still appreciated
Regards
DJ
snow report
If you are not determined upon France, then Austria has a lot going for it, cheaper eats and drinks, good accomodation, lots of fireworks. We have done 2 New Years in Mayrhofen and are returning this year. Found costs with Tour Operators to be pretty steep, flights to Munich and train worked well for us last year, driving from Munich is a lotrtery esp that day as it can be horribly busy. Kids travel free on the train so train is an affordable way to get to resort.

The Hotel Rose currently has double rooms half board for 1500 Euros for 2 adults.

I'm sure others shall be along with their favourite resorts, Austrian and other.
snow conditions
Corvara
latest report
Salzburgerland, Austria takes in about 40 resorts. The better known ones are Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Bad Gastein, Zell am See but there are plenty of others and lots of trip reports here on Snowheads. Search for the Saalbach and Ski Amade threads.

New Years Eve is always excellent in Austria. Ski instructors' show, back indoors for 'Dinner for One' followed by dinner with family and friends, a few drinks then out to the village square for general good-humoured pandemonium, fireworks and church bells at midnight.

Easy to DIY from Leeds-Bradford or Manchester with Jet2 to Salzburg. Look at the local Tourist Office websites for accommodation ideas. Transfers max. €150 each way from Salzburg to any resort. Max transfer time 90 mins. All ski schools speak English, and there are plenty to choose from.
snow report
Thanks for the further suggestions and "no" I am definitely not completely fixed on France. I will look at the options you have all recommended.
My brother goes to Mayrhofen every year in spring/summer and loves it. Slightly different I know when we are talking winter holidays but he assures me I would love it.
Do not know anything about Corvara but love Italy so will take a look at this.
If I felt the snow was a little more guaranteed (I know its not guaranteed anywhere), Saalbach would be at the very top of my list. A place I will definitely go to in the next few years.
Thanks guys, plenty of googling ahead tonight.
Regards
DJ
ski holidays
Quote:

If I felt the snow was a little more guaranteed (I know its not guaranteed anywhere), Saalbach would be at the very top of my list.

I have done 10 New Years holidays in Saalbach, plus another couple in Zell am See down the road. There has always been snow. Sometimes a huge amount, sometimes not as much, but always more than enough for a week of good skiing, particularly as you say you want somewhere for one timid skier and 3 good intermediates. Presumably you're not too bothered if there is not 100km of steep, gnarly off-piste, so many of the Ski Amade resorts will fit your requirements well. Saalbach-Hnterglemm in particular has invested over €200 million in snowmaking, piste management and lifts in the last few years - they take it very seriously as the entire resort economy depends on good snow cover.
ski holidays
quinton, Thanks for that, I really like the look of Saalbach and have for some time. I will investigate TO and DIY holidays there.
Coincidentally my daughters are going to Zell at half term with school, with the wife and I going back to Italy at the same time (she is a teacher)
This is mainly why we want to get away at New Year, so as to spend some time skiing together.
I was hoping this would be a little more straight forward, but it seems the choice is bewildering Toofy Grin
Many thanks
DJ
snow report
If you are still looking ,have a look at whitedogchalets.com just below Les Menuires
snow conditions
We're going to Obergurgl which ticks all your boxes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy