Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier Skiing Late Spring / Early Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Need some help pls!

Have been tasked by work to find a "decent" glacier ski resort for early May in Austria/Europe for a last minute customer trip...(yes really...)

I know it seasonal and weather dependant as to the size of area open, but has anyone got any tips?

I was looking at Stubai, but I'm not sure

Ideally somewhere with some apres (!) & some life(!)

What about somewhere further afield like Zermatt / Cevina? Will they offer more?

Having never skied past Easter (apart from VT) any help would be appreciated.

[FML]

Thanks All
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just returned from Presena Glacier in northern Italy they have over 3 metres of snow at the moment and the skiing is fantastic, I believe it will be open until late june this year according to a local Instructor. Some apres on the glacier and nearbt Passo Tonale and Ponte Di Legno but not to Austrian standards of entertainment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mauddib,
I would look definitely at Stubai:
http://www.bergfex.com/stubaier-gletscher/
It is pretty modern and fairly close to Innsbruck where you can get "some life". I do not think you can expect any real apres at this time of the year in the actual ski resort.

Or Hintertux:
http://www.bergfex.com/hintertux/
Usually good snow and long runs.

Or if you have budget for taxi you can do both Wink

There are other good glaciers in Austria (or Tignes in France, Zermatt etc) but I believe they might be closed late May/eraly June before they open again for summer skiing. Please check carefully.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was up at Hintertux this Monday, there was still skiing top to bottom, great conditions from the top down to the Sommerberg café, slushy from there down to the village. I expect the home run will close soon but that still leaves a lot open.

There is a great apri bar at the in the car park at the bottom but Hintertux is small and quite, best to stay down in Mayrhofen if you have transport, 30 mins on the bus otherwise. At least down there you can fins a few decent pubs for later in the evening.

Pic from Monday.

and last July..

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mauddib wrote:
Hi All

Need some help pls!

Have been tasked by work to find a "decent" glacier ski resort for early May in Austria/Europe for a last minute customer trip...(yes really...)

How early in May? Val Tho and Tignes will still have most of their areas open the first couple of weekends.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was looking at Stubai, but I'm not sure

Ideally somewhere with some apres (!) & some life(!)

The apres bars at the bottom of Stubai can get pretty busy and be a lot of fun, but certainly not guaranteed to be at this time of season. Weekends are your best bet for that. Neustift, probably the best place to stay for Stubai, still has stuff going on atm (lots of paragliding) but definitely not party central.

You could stay in Innsbruck which is pretty good at night, but it's not apres-style apres, and you have around an hours drive to get up to the glacier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt is generally good, for what it is. Solden closes on May 4, and will be good the few days before then, although the village is generally very quiet at that time of year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should check out Hintertux weather forecast.
Some serious snow is coming.
http://www.bergfex.com/hintertux/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
May and June generally offer some reasonably extensive glacier skiing oportunities - eg Stubai and Hintertux in Austria. In terms of snow cover, the first half of July is usually ok too - but in hot weather you can be sking soft snow by about 10.00am (though lifts open very early - eg 7.30 in Tignes). Still good fun in high summer though. In the second half of July, glaciers can appear rather grey and quarry-like, with pistes running like rivers over bare glacial ice and crevasses very evident. Still generally some fair piste skiing available though. August can be a bit of a dead loss - for die hards and novelty value only - as can September until the first snows of autumn arrive.

Try it and see - chances are you'll love summer skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mauddib, We were at Stubai early May last season. Skiing was good but the après was not exactly full on. Bars up at Stubai were quiet. We stayed in a hotel in Neustift, and there was enough life to make it worth going out into the village in the evening.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy