Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend jan 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Hope to tap into your vast knowledge !
Group of 8/10 looking for long weekend, next jan,last 2 years have done mountainsun tignes and les coches, fancy a change , thinking of Italy ?
Can anyone recommend resort / companies etc,our wish list
Transfer1-2 hrs
Chalet/ half board
Resort for mixed group(not bothered about off piste).
Bit of après ski
Think that's all
Thanks in advance
We looked at mountainsun for Italy, but can't get flights mid week from Manchester to Innsbruck which is a pain, as there place ticks all our boxes, thanks again
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

can't get flights mid week from Manchester to Innsbruck

easyjet Manchester to Venice?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was told it's a 3-4 hr transfer ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, Sauze d'Oulx in Italy. Fly to Turin, hire a minibus / get a transfer, 1hr 15m later you're in Sauze. Loads of hotels you can book directly. We use the La Torre. Cheap après / lift pass / etc when compared to France.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rothwell,

Most chalets don't do weekends. Nor do many apartments.

1. where can you get flights to? No point considering anywhere you can't actually reach. e.g. this year there were reasonable flights from MAN to Geneva.

2. from that point, where's an easy transfer? no point doing a short trip that involves 2 eight hour bus journeys, f'rinstance. From Geneva you can get to Courmayeur in ~1h30.

3. Assuming no chalets (and, frankly, there aren't that many chalet ops in many parts of Italy) - book a hotel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What's sauze d'oulx like?
Anyone been recently?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I second the Courmayeur suggestion. Dead easy to get to from Geneva, though for your group that would probably mean hiring a couple of cars, or booking a group minibus transfer. Small but very pretty ski area which is ideal for a long weekend, great grub on and off the mountain and a very attractive town for the evening. We stayed at the Hotel Bouton d'Or, which is bed and breakfast only, but in every other respects is an excellent 3 star plus hotel. Friendly owners and they give you a lift to and from the bubble as and when you want.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is a myth that chalets don't do short breaks, especially in Jan! I am on loads of mailing lists that always offer short breaks and when I decided to go one a three night break in Jan of this year, I had loads of options.
On Chalets Direct at the minute there's a request for a short break near Geneva airport next March that has had 13 replies with offers already.
Rothwell, Morzine is great for a short break for mixed ability groups and I've never had a problem getting sorted in a chalet. Use the solutions room on www.chaletsdirect.com and you might get some options you never considered before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info, won't morzine be a lot more expensive than Italy?
Lift pass, drinks food etc ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, a lot more expensive.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rothwell, yes, more expensive for drinks and food - but if you are in a catered chalet that's a pretty marginal consideration. No more expensive for lift passes, if you compare like with like. Lift passes seem to be much of a muchness all across the main ski areas of France, Italy and Austria.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What's sauze d'oulx like?
Anyone been recently?

Went to Sestriere (over the hill from Sauze) for a long weekend in Jan last season. I'd definitely go back but I'd go to Sauze which is prettier / more atmospheric. Skiiing should be great for what you want. Can't help you much on accommodation but I think Ciao Pais could be a fun option for 8-10. It's a piste side chalet/restaurant witha few rooms - access by ski or skidoo, excellent foot, simple, open fire, v atmospheric.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks v much for all your help/ information , looks like sauze ticks all our boxes, just got to sort the accomadation !
Anyone got any gems? 3/4 nights long weekend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds likes its too late, but we've just booked a long weekend in La Clusaz.
1 hr transfer from Geneva
Half board accommodation for £60 a night
Ski in / ski out
Never been there in winter but its a lovely place with plenty of bars and restaurants and the piste map looks like it'll be good for a mixed group (well I hope it is anyway!)
We've got an early morning flight into Geneva on a Thurs and last one back on a Monday so we'll get 4.5 days skiing in.
Total cost for flights, transfers, half board accommodation and lift pass is £520
Might be a good option if Sauze doesn't work out
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at the La Torre, we've used for the last two years and its excellent. Private minibus to the lifts.
snow report
Hi
Just looked at la clusaz, £60.00 per night! Where u staying?
snow report
Just looked at later torre, it's been mentioned a couple of times, how far from the slopes is it?
snow conditions
There are six of us - staying at hotel ufredy. Gets very good reviews on trip advisor. Only down side is its a trek into town or back from town at night. We're there 8th to 12th Jan.
latest report
rothwell, spent a week based in Sauze in January this year. Great resort for mixed ability groups. In a long weekend is that you'll be hard pushed to cover the whole of the milky way but stay on the Sauze/Sestriere/Cesana side and you'll be fine. First time we went (2006) we stayed in hotel Gran Baita on a half board basis, which is a decent enough place. This year we hired an apartment, which whilst ok was a bit compact and the lounge/dining area was too small.

There's lots of great restaurants and bars which are reasonably priced and some decent apres.

I've also done a long weekend in La Clusaz staying in a catered chalet (http://www.gravite.co.uk/. Great place for a long weekend.
latest report
I have gone to Chatel and Les Gets for a long weekend every year for the last 10 years or so.

As all apartments tend to be saturday to saturday bookings we now fly out Tuesday night and return Saturday night. Flights are around £150, we book apartments for the full week and it costs between £130-£230 each depending on how many and how posh (usually 8-9 of us go) and we always have our own room. We have booked these apartments several times as they are such great value www.lechardonneret.com, usually around £130 per head for your own room.

We hire cars that costs around £80 per head or book a transfer that costs around £30-£40 each return. If you stay in the above apartments you have a ski lift accross the road but you are about a mile from the town centre so a car is a good option. A few of the bars run a free shuttle in the evening and the bus stops right outside during the day so you can manage without a car but we like to drive to linga sometimes to get to avoriaz without having to ski for an hour or so to get there.

Chatel and Les Gets are just over an hours drive from Geneva and 650KM of great skiing.

We fly out at 7pm Tuesday and ski wed, thu, fri and until 4pm on Sat then get a flight home at 7 or 8 Saturday night. Works a treat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy