Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SX81

Poster: A snowHead
The 80s were great weren't they? Well maybe not if you were a miner, or lived ooop North but for the rest of us: Audi Quatros, Pop Tarts, Bon Jovi, The Reebok Pump Trainer, Sony Walkmans, Swatches, PanAm, The Sinclair pocket TV and of course, the SX81 rear entry boot.

Now most of those things are just some landfill somewhere in China (well part from Bon Jovi maybe) but you'll be prying the SX81 out of the owners' cold dead hands. Take this pair, according to the 71 year old ski tourer on the summit of the Cime de la Jasse he's never found a better, more comfortable boot. He swears by rear entry, and so does his wife.

Which reminds me, 21 years since I first ski toured to this iconic summit in the Belledonne.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marvellous... Not the boots though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I saw a pair of those a the local car boot the other week. I was tempted to try and grow onions in them, but the guy wanted a tenner.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Well maybe not if you were a miner, or lived ooop North

Getting stopped for no reason, questioned, having to prove your identity, asked where you are going, not exactly a free democracy but that was life ooop North in the mid 80's.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-04-14 16:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
according to the 71 year old ski tourer on the summit of the Cime de la Jasse he's never found a better, more comfortable boot. He swears by rear entry, and so does his wife.

David Goldsmith has taken up touring?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=233331
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"He swears by rear entry and so does his wife"

Quote of the season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still see a fair few of the 81, 91 and the 91 Equipes around. Usually a marker of ski ability - the user is either very, very good or atrociously bad (as in had them skiing in their yoof then a 30 year hiatus).

Not sure I'd be gambling on them for touring without a big roll of duct tape to tape me back to my skis when the clog eventually separates from the base.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, i don't think I've seen anyone very very good in SX anythings since they were current Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reminds me.. I've still got my Dachstein V3 Pro foam fit race boots in my folks' loft Smile

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, what size?

By miles the best boots I ever had...put some ZipFits in them and.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp, Dunno exactly, but I'm a 7 normally. I'd be tempted to use them again, along with all my other retro kit Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't see clearly but I think this guy is on SX91s

clearly the idiot has been following ski tracks

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, sx92s. Sx91s were red...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
davidof, sx92s. Sx91s were red...

<pedant>SX91 were grey. SX91 Equipe were red with a white top.</pedant> SX92 was white with a black top.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a pair of 61's ... they were "battle ship grey" ... they let me down badly by popping open so I was left slithering down the "mother of all mogul fields" in Warth.

I had I think a pair of 91 (I think) Equipes .. They served me well and they are still serving my mate Willi.

Things aint what they used to be!
snow report
The most comfortable boots I ever had. Wore them out. Confused
ski holidays
Used to have a pair of SX61 myself.

thinking about it.. first boots I can't remember what they were.. I was 10yrs old and they were grey with 3 buckles.

2nd pair were Nordica 155 or was it 115? A junior model I think. Wind up heel retention but no fore-foot adjustment iirc.

3rd were the SX61

4th pair were Dachstein V3 Pro

5th pair were Lange X-Zero-8 (Ground Zero)

and I kept them till I got my Head Vectors and Dynafit Zzeus over the last couple of seasons
latest report
Golly. If you ask me what my present boots are I'd have to go and look at 'em. Embarassed
snow conditions
davidof, y'know, you only need to turn that picture 90 degrees to go from Hero to Zero...

latest report
Richard_Sideways, yeah, like you recover from that Puzzled
ski holidays
Do I win Laughing

Think we should set up a new thread of what is the naffest photo of yourself, mind you way back then I was so cool Cool

snow report
feef, if we are being pedants, the words you want are "cuff" and "clog"
latest report
Didnt Scott Schmidt used to ski them?

http://youtube.com/v/dooEVgLOybo`
snow conditions
DB, yep.

feef, re V3s - why sooooo many clips on the clog? Bonkers.
ski holidays
My SX91's lasted me 20 years.
I only replaced them when the attendees of the 2nd EoSB (2006) were so embarrassed to be seen with me that they clubbed together to buy me a new pair!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
feef, if we are being pedants, the words you want are "cuff" and "clog"

Because it wasn't the entire cuff that was coloured Neh Neh
ski holidays
Quote:

Do I win ?

Think we should set up a new thread of what is the naffest photo of yourself, mind you way back then I was so cool Cool

Of course you don't win - Now if you were wearing a one piece we could have considered it.
snow conditions
DB,
brilliant vid...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, it was on the 92s
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
davidof, y'know, you only need to turn that picture 90 degrees to go from Hero to Zero...

that looks a lot more realistic too. He's a bit in the bank seat.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Do I win Laughing

The word "Approved" is printed on the jacket. Who approved it, Stevie Wonder?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
The word "Approved" is printed on the jacket. Who approved it, Stevie Wonder?

The jacket was probably made by a foreign company who didn't have a good grasp of English. They really should have used the word "Certified"..... wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snow Fashionistas would recognise that jacket as O'Neil, that one was just before the famous "Snow is only frozen water" slogan, and what brand the pants ?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
... and what brand the pants ?

Killy ?
snow report
Marks & Spencers?
ski holidays
Army surplus store?
ski holidays
Bognor
ski holidays
Weathercam, very obviously Nevica.

O'Neill? Oh, no.
latest report
under a new name, correct !

Probably early to mid 80's when the likes of O'Neil, Quicksilver were still surf brands and not high street, also the same time as Marin brought in the first MTB's into the UK, the importer was the same company that brought in Mistral Windsurf boards and back then a small unknown brand, DaKine.

The early UK MTB scene was very much driven by the existing windsurf business (Orange / Tushingham) with importers and retailers handling both.

And then along came snow boarding and many windsurf shops jumped on that as well !

Interesting in that windsurfing in the UK has dwindled from the hey days of the mid 90's with kiting now far more popular (especially along our stretch of the coast), we use to think it was similar to snowboarding vs skiing when snowboarding looked like it may take over, now it seems less and less boards on the slopes each year ?

And who remembers Chiemsee !!
ski holidays
Stop being so snotty, you lot. That kit was the very cutting edge of trendy in the 80s and if you weren't wearing it you were all coveting it like mad. Oh yes you were, and you know it. 'Fess up. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy