Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Öztal, Austria. April 2014 - Ski Touring Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
So after much deliberation Kelskii, Mick, Steve & I finally agreed to go Ski Touring in the Öztal valley. I had toured with Mick and Steve before in St Anton, the Silvrettas and around Großglockner/Großvenediger but only knew Kelskii through Snowheads.

Day 1 & 2 We met in Obergurgl and toured for a couple of days without a guide.

Kelskii, Steve & Mick. (DB in black gillet & orange sleeves or blue & green jacket)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-04-14 14:39; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 3 we met the guide in Vent @1900m and set off towards the Vernagthütte @ 2768m

The snow cover wasn't continous on the way up but after a combination of booting and skiining up, we got there in the end.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day 4 Hochvernagtspitze @ 3535

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-04-14 13:01; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day 5 Fluchtkögel @ 3500m and Kesselwandspitz @ 3414m

Looking over from the Fluchtkögel to the Brandenburger Haus and the Weißkugel (third highest mountain in Austria)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 16-04-14 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Day 6 Wildspitze @ 3774m (Austria's second highest mountain)

Mick slept like a baby but his snoring and farts were louder Toofy Grin

.... the alarm went off at 5:00 am, then a quick breakfast and we were on our way up just after 6:00. Temps had dropped to around minus 20, the wind was howling and visibility had dropped.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The sun came out just before we reached the Wildspitze summit ......

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The way down ......

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
..... all in all, a great trip snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great pics, you reached a serious altitude there, must have been lung bursting!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice picks DB Very Happy

What was the skiing like?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
Nice picks DB Very Happy

What was the skiing like?

Mostly very pleasant spring corn. On the final day we had fresh powder hiding the odd patch of avalanche debris to keep us on our toes (or put us on our backsides).

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice one - did a few of those peaks from the Vernagthutte a few years ago. Great ski touring area Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross wrote:
Great pics, you reached a serious altitude there, must have been lung bursting!

Poor Mick had been ill just before the tour and so didn't have as much time to train. He felt the altittude but was a real star to get through it. His sentiment was very well captured in this clip ......

http://youtube.com/v/2HZOr45t5p0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 30-09-14 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, DB, we had a great time and I'm sure Mick isn't serious about the beach holiday. I'm missing the Weiss Bier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kelskii wrote:
Thanks, DB, we had a great time and I'm sure Mick isn't serious about the beach holiday. I'm missing the Weiss Bier.

Yes just Mick's sense of humour, he's already talking about getting new kit for next years trip Laughing

Great to tour with you too. The Weiss Bier brewery is missing you, it's takings are well down this week wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 15-04-14 22:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nice, good work!
snow conditions
Thinking of doing the "Weißkogel" and "Hintere Schwärze" next year (to complete Austria's top 5 highest mountains).

http://youtube.com/v/B3riLcjcNqc

Might also be interested in doing ski tours over 4000m in Switzerland or Italy. If anybody else is interested in doing the same please let me know (on this thread or by private message)
snow report
Yeah.

DB wrote:
Thinking of doing the "Weißkogel" and "Hintere Schwärze" next year (to complete Austria's top 5 highest mountains).

http://youtube.com/v/B3riLcjcNqc

Might also be interested in doing ski tours over 4000m in Switzerland or Italy. If anybody else is interested in doing the same please let me know (on this thread or by private message)
snow report
Epic trip....Bravo!
This is the best I could come up with as far as beach hols, probly ski there in winter...Laughing
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/415778/The-highest-beach-in-Britain-People-flock-to-secluded-destination-780ft-above-sea-level
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy