Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners Solo holidays with tuition??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I have recently tried skiing (had a few lessons) at an indoor UK venue and am now addicted to it!!!
Would like to try the real thing but travelling solo is a big unknown to me... Does anyone on here have any recommendations for a solo female traveller looking for a catered summer skiing with tuition? (or is the summer a real big no-no?)
Open to all suggestions so any advice would be appreciated regardless of distance and cost (within reason of course). Would be looking to go mainly for skiing but definitely not against giving the apres ski a go wink
Look forward to hearing from some of you

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lisa79, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You'd probably be better off waiting for the winter season then going on one of the UCPA holidays, through Action Outdoors. Perfect for solo travellers (assuming you are moderately young - they're not for old farts).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam.... Not sure how to tag your name in this sorry!!
I am mid 30's so guess I'm not in the old fart category yet Laughing
Ideally I would prefer a single room and I don't think they do that as an option but will definitely check it out
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another shout out for ucpas and action outdoors. I travelled solo over new year to la plagne, the room sizes vary from centre to centre, la plagne were rooms for 4. If you book with action outdoors they try to room you with other English speakers.
Trip was fantastic, the ski groups were great, and I met some great people, do it you really won't regret it, hoping to book val thorens or tignes for this new year!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been on 3 trips over the last 12 months - all UCPA's - definitely recommended.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lisa79, Join your local ski club - don't know where you are (are you in UK? I guess so) but there are plenty around, often based around dry ski slopes or indoor ski fridges and you may find they are running a trip so you could join a group. Otherwise if you go alone and have lessons you will soon find ski buddies.
Summer skiing in Europe is only on glaciers and not (IMO) so great. If you can get to anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere they ski in New Zealand, Argentina, Australia in our summer which is of course their winter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No-one recommending next season's snowHead bashes? Lots of solos, young and old, farts optional!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once more recommendation for UCPA. Been on 4 trips with them over the past 3 years and have never been disappointed. If you want tuition and a friendly, social environment for traveling on your own then you can't go wrong. Yeah, you will have to share a room but as a solo woman you'll be in an all female room, take eye mask and ear plugs and add into that a hard days skiing you'll have no problems sleeping.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was just about to suggest a snowheads bash trip next week, since eosb has lessons too I think, but seems it's full.
In which case... Im guessing first week of next season will be another Pre-season bash, also with lesson options?

Off to double check the events section...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lisa79, I've gone solo with Crystal twice (Zell am See & St Johann in Triol). Didn't fancy sharing a room so didn't opt for UCPA. I found that good deals could be got last minute to Austria during the month of January.
I joined lessons so had company during the day and skiing is so sociable I found there was often someone to chat to in the evenings. So while I went alone I wasn't lonely.
I expect I'll be going solo again next year, skiing is a great holiday you'll enjoy it even if you travel alone. Once you get to the resort and start lessons you'll meet loads on lovely people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got back from a UCPA holiday to Tignes last weekend booked with Action Outdoors. I travelled on my own via the snowexpress coach and met a number of fellow solo brits out there. I did half time skiing lessons as like you i'd only been to an indoor slope before for lessons (Mount Hemel)

If you can get around the idea of sharing a room then you'll not find better value as the quality of the food was very good on top of the lift pass, equipment rental etc.

I'll definitely be using UCPA for my next holiday Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been on a few Club Med holidays solo - it's all inclusive and when I say all it means practically everything including accommodation in single room, flights, transfers, ski pass, lessons, plus all food and booze! The only thing you would have to pay for if you do not have your own gear is the ski rental. I like it as it's hassle free, you're guaranteed to have someone at a similar level you ski with who is staying in the same resort, so you would naturally have company should you choose to in the evenings as well plus you get a room to yourself.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 23-04-14 16:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yuka76, that sounds good - kind of like an upmarket - and more expensive - version of UCPA. Depends on your budget, I suppose. There have been some other enthusiastic reports on Club Med holidays.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another option for you that I can thoroughly recommend is HOFNAR.

In short everyone's in the chalet's going to be a solo traveller, so in the same boat and if you go on a beginners week most will be fellow beginners. The atmosphere in the chalet is very chilled - if you want to go out there will be someone who wants to go with you but if you just want to stay in reading a book by the fire/in the hot tub people will respect your choice.

There aren't any single rooms but the twin and triple rooms are all good-sized, so you're not sleeping on top of one another.

I went with HOFNAR for the first time last year having had some mixed experiences with other solo holiday operators. This year I went back. Twice Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Lisa,

I have just come across your post. We are a new company running Ski and Snowboard camps in Europe and Japan.
We cater for all levels of riding - we are holding a beginners camp in December in the beautiful Pila (Italy).

These camps are the perfect way to meet similar people and have great fun. They are all inclusive (excluding flights) too which is an added bonus.

Have a browse through our website so you can read a little bit more about us.

www.nexuscamps.com

Also if you follow this link you can receive 10% off any European camp.

http://on.fb.me/1myBCig

If you have any questions for me then feel free to pop an email over to me; info@nexuscamps.com

Thanks,

Lottie
snow report
Have you looked at inside out?

http://insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html
snow conditions
kitenski, I don't think the IO holidays cater for beginners.
ski holidays
pam w, good point, perhaps some Inside lessons before the Outside bit then assuming Lisa79, is somewhere near Hemel and is/can get to level 4 on their scale....
ski holidays
Hi Lisa.

know your predicament as a solo skier, although I'm male I took the plunge years go about doing solo ski holidays and really enjoy it. Apart from having to find hotels with single rooms I always book a few days of group lessons, great for meeting others and a lot of the time they are in the same hotel so you carry on the general chat a the bar.

I normally book with Inghams as everything is done, travel to & from Hotel & flight and there are quite a few hotels now offering No single Supplement which is good.

Go for it.
snow conditions
Lisa79, I'm also male, but I travelled with singlesports.com to Cervinia in April. There were 27 in the party and women outnumbered men by 2 to 1. They're now taking bookings for next season, why not check out they're website for details... I'd recommend them, and will be looking to travel with them to the USA next season. Alternatively, why not try a snowheads bash? I'm hoping the PSB buttons will be up shortly snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
kitenski, I don't think the IO holidays cater for beginners.

Why not go at the same time as their Italy trips and stay in the same hotel so you'll have lots of people to talk to.
Last week in Jan or the 1st in Feb.

Both the weeks they are running their Italian trips there are free full week ski courses on offer from the Folgarida ski school. Beginners to advanced, everyone welcome - if you speak English you'll normally be in a class with the only British ski instructor in the Dolomites for the full season. I don't think I'm allowed to mention his name on here wink , but he's taught lots and lots of SH's

I'll be there then as well, so maybe see you there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy