Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 'Winter' of 2013/14 in the Alps - How was it for you?

Poster: A snowHead
I was on the verge of putting this in the Weather Outlook thread but then thought it might be interesting to see everyones feedback and thoughts in a thread of their own.

In case you haven't guessed I mean how was it weather and snow wise?

Personally it was the poorest snow winter since I started skiing again in 2005. The 2006/07 winter was bad but not quite as bad as it was definitely colder. That said my two weeks in Zell am See from 18th January was, the first 3 or 4 days apart, probably the best spell of the season there? Although had it not been for a mainly artificial base it would still not have been enough. Whilst it is technically irrelevant to the quality of the primary purpose of the trip I personally feel that when I see green valleys and long strips of artificial snow on otherwise green mountain sides it definitely spoils the visual appeal which certainly triggers a greater disappointment in my own experience of the overall pleasure of the holiday. I think this year for the first time I really saw the extent of the snowmaking facility that exists there now and how crucial it was to a winter that may have been a disaster locally without it. I for one am still repairing the torn shoulder muscles from a fall when my skis stuck fast in what can only be described as off-white glue on day one of my holiday.

I therefore find myself, when I talk of this winter to others, habitually describing it as being a poor snow year. I would think for most skiers preferring north eastern resorts in Austria that would be approximately the view, perhaps not for those who were further south and west in Austria who may describe it as adequate and occasionally good. I would be surprised to hear of more than a few Oesterreichers who thought it was legendary?

Overall I surmise from what I read that the French-ists will report of adequacy and no more, the Swiss goers either adequate or good dependant on where they were and the Italianites talking of legendary falls in the North East where the local Swiss joined in for a bit as did some Austrians.

Thoughts anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been living in my current location for 8 years and this is the first winter where I did not need to get my snow shovel out at all. I'm also glad I didn't bother to buy up one of the second-hand snow blowers my local store was offering at give away prices! The odd occasion where it snowed enough to need to get out early to clear the car did not give enough cover to make it necessary to dig out the car first. I live at around 800m asl on the north side of the Alps between Rosenheim and Salzburg. But saying that, the local ski slopes (Sudelfeld) have been open all season and still are I think.

Good snow early on and excellent snow-making have made sure that all the resorts I ski have had good cover and the odd top up now and again helped, but it certainly was not a mega year that's for sure. It was frustrating watching the snow storms boiling up from the south but stopping along the main Alpine watershed. This is so close to most of my "hunting grounds" you could almost smell the masses of snow, but this season was the south side's. Saying that I have skied non-glacier resorts all through the winter and have not felt the need to go high until now. My best days were had at a small resort with fixed 2-man chairs and T-bars and a height range of a mere 930m to 1885m. Always perfect snow, with very little of it being artificial. OK in the warm temperatures of March it was a little slushy at the end of the day, but the sheer joy of skiing the empty pistes in perfect conditions "oop top" more than compensated for the last few metres of wet porridge.

I've been skiing well over 40 years and we have had other occasions with odd/poor snow. The use of snow making makes it much less of a gamble than it used to be and the combination of artificial and natural snow seems to make a much better and more durable base, which in turn means a longer and skiable season even in the drought years!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got relatively lucky I guess.

Good snow in Stubai in mid-Nov, some boot-top. Two days of fresh powder in St Anton at mid-term - ok not bottomless and on a thinner than usual base, but we got 40 cm first time and about 20 the second one.

40 cm fresh in La Grave just at the beginning of our trip (end of March), plus a completely unexpected 30 cm on Day 5 in Montgenevre.

Didn't get as much snow as hoped in Snowbird / JH in January, but even there we had a decent storm during the week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
October and November were brilliant. December and January sucked (luckily I was in Japan for much of January Cool) around Innsbruck, but Ost Tirol was epic. February wasn't great but there were a few good days. Most of March sucked, though there was one brilliant week. April... Not great so far.

Least snowy winter I can remember, and definitely the warmest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, don't take this personally but I do hope you might regret not making that purchase this time next year. Thats unless you've finally had enough of you know who by then? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Started with a reasonable but not outstanding week in Jan in France, went back to France in Feb to be greeted with outstanding conditions, unfortunately day 1 picked up a minor but incapacitating injury that stopped me skiing that week and stopped me benefitting from the conditions in Scotland.
Recovered for a final week in Switzerland enjoyable but very spring like.
First year for ages that we did not go to Austria in Feb which was probably good for the family even if not for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably the weirdest for a long time (whichever year it was that we turned up in Les Gets to see grass - 2008ish?).
3V was alright, but early/pre season, so can't complain
Spring snow in January in Austria, mega dumps in the Dolomites, snow snow more snow, and then some, with a very distinct boundary between too much and could do with some more.
Then spring snow in March one day, followed by ace powder the next.
And here in Germany... 1 day of snow that didn't properly stick. 6 proper snow weeks is more typical, with snow ploughs having to plough the pedestrian zone 2x daily, and mounds of snow in the market square that often stick around till March.
First year since 2003 that I've not been able to go MTBing in the snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monte Rosa/Champoluc second week in January was excellent, huge snow base right across the area. Low season meant hardly any punters on the pistes, and I only once had to queue as there was a total of 12 people infront of me (I counted because this was the only queue of the week). Stayed at a place called Hotel Mascognaz, utterly sublime, my wife says that this was the very best ski holiday in 30 years.

Lech second week of April, the worst I've ever seen of crappy, slushy, brown snow in the Arlberg. Had an okay ski break, but was so glad that it was for four days and not for a whole week. Sadly missed Strolz's sale, pity the usual snow depths were not in Warth either!

Overall opinion.................... the best and worst of snow. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My experience of Les Arcs is that is was a slightly better than average Christmas/New Year and in early March there was nothing to complain about at all. Ok not fantastic deep powder but lovely complete slopes and the whole area was white. no ribbons of artificial. And yes we did have to dig the car out when returning after new year

It was, however quite warm.

Now here in England it has been amazingly warm and wet. I think only a couple frosts and no snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting winter , now days it seems to be either great or crap . For me mostly based in the Haute Tarentaise the winter as we know was very warm but not too bad , New Year was looking fairly dodgy but turned out ok , not always the best time of the year for cover ,my late Jan week was also ok , Feb half term was excellent with snow every other day skiing powder in the trees , my end March/April was fairly good because of the sunshine and spring snow the two previous years at this time the sun had hardly been seen .

Overview for the Haute Tarentaise seems to be , Good Nov snowfall getting people very overexcited followed by a prolonged dry and warm period , New Year resuced by good Snowfall only above 1400m , Jan lots of Forhn wind , very snowy Feb , Hot and Dry March followed by what looks like more of the same for April . Overall not a disaster .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here in North East Austria it wasn't the best winter for snow, but I did meet many more Snowheads so the season was well worth it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, the winter's not yet over for me (though it hardly seems like winter!). An excellent winter for snow (though far too much in Arabba!!). Christmas was slightly thin, but all runs open, and mostly above season average depths until now, when the last few baking hot weeks, with just one good snowfall (40cms, fortunately) to save the end of the season. Les Saisies closes at the end of next week, by which time I suspect it won't be worth skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We mad our usual Christmas visit to Serre Chevalier. The resort had opened a week late due to poor snow conditions, but some had fallen in the week before our arrival on the 21st December, and the canons had been running too. There was still plenty of snow to ski on, and the links were open on a few days, although when they closed it was due to avalanche risk and high wind rather than lack of snow. By the time we headed home on the 30th December we had adequate cover and a decent proportion of open runs. Continued reports of snow throughout January improved things considerably.
Our February trip was the well-documented S10BB to Arabba, or in our case to Alleghe, as a huge amount of snow in a very short time prevented us getting to Arabba due to the extremely high avalanche risk and blocked roads. Rain in Alleghe at times, but higher up some lovely fresh snow.
March saw us heading back to Serre Chevalier where hubby joined in the snowHeads SoPi bash. Weather was very warm and sunny, and there hadn't been any fresh snow for over a week, but the guides found fresh tracks for all during the week. I stuck to the pistes, which were in excellent shape, and also spent a day in both Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent. The second week continued with the warm and sunny theme.
But, it isn't over until the fat lady sings, and I've still got a week in Val Thorens to come.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me personally it was my best season since I worked a full season in 1991-92. The reason being that I had two long skiing holidays and skied a total of 17 days, far more than I can usually manage. Snow conditions in Austria were a bit of a mixed bag, and it definitely wasn't the mega snow of last winter. But it was all perfectly skiable and more to the point enjoyable.

It's been a very mild winter at home (Derbyshire) too. Normally we would expect 10-20 days per winter of snow cover, this winter we had less than 2 days. Slightly wetter than average but basically just very mild. So far spring has been significantly drier but not especially warm. Today is dry and sunny but it's fairly chilly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well what a season. The second week in February at Corvara (Sella Ronda) was almost certainly the best week for conditions that I have had in 44 years ! Over 2m of snow in the village and way over 3m on the hill. Perfect snow every day and I don’t think I fell all week which is very unusual for me ! It was definitely a ‘Southern Alps’ season this year.

In Glencoe, just under 2hrs north of Robboj, they’ve had the most snow since the late 1930s and they are still recording 6m of depth in the main basin. I see it snowed again last night https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=823746307653152 The problem this year has been the westerly weather has also brought gales, particularly at the weekends ! There is plenty more skiing to be done up there yet.

Closer to home it has been a poor season in the North Pennines with only about 7 days at Yad Moss compared to 30 last year. However some of the days at Yad Moss before Christmas were really quite good. Weardale has had less days than Yad Moss which is a shame given that this is their 50th anniversary.

Across in the Lake District however it has been a brilliant season with the most snow for 20 years! There has been lots of digging to clear headroom under the pylons and the main gulley has probably had approaching 5m of snow. The last day up at Raise was yesterday although the webcams are still showing big drifts across the main run. The tow probably hasn’t run quite as many days this year as last year simply because of volunteer exhaustion. Everyday it has run however snow conditions have been fantastic with almost no ice.

2014 will complete a run of at least 6 good to excellent skiing winters in the UK overall snowHead .
snow report
Pretty good for me for what I wanted to ski. Only issues I had were as a result of too much snow (sometimes accompanied by high wind). Perhaps not the my best season for snow overall, but always had plenty of great skiing, from the beginning of November through until (I assume conditions will be OK next week) the end of April.
ski holidays
Still not over Cool

Our first full season and pretty damn good. When we first arrived (Dec 16th) no snow in Serre Chevalier and lifts opening was postponed for a week, but the snow Gods served us up what seemed 20cm every other day and down here in the South we were blessed with more snow than many other resorts in Northern France and in other Alpine countries in Europe.

A guide I know in La Grave said it was the best season for snow since he's been there (95). And we were up in Montgenevre / Claviere with him back end of Jan and again he said he's never seen so much snow, and again in the Queyras a few weeks back.

At the beginning of the season there was the very real worry of an unstable layer that would make off piste extremely hazardous, but the regular snow falls of 15 here, 20 there rather than 75+ in one go helped to stabilise the snow pack.

We also never had a period of freezing cold weather (and sunshine) with temps sub 25 and boiler plate piste conditions, though I did meet a fair number of people who were moaning about their week of white outs, snow and never seeing the sun.

That said we have not had any substantial snow fall since the middle of March (though we scored a meter in the Queyras a couple of weeks back) and the incessant days of temps of 25 degrees in the sun have taken their toll, and the same guide and his wife were telling us a few weeks back that they've never seem the snow disappear quite so quickly Puzzled

Pistes have held up really well, though for us we've been touring nigh on every other day, or using the lifts to go off the back and then skin back up into the resort.

There was the faint glimmer of new snow this coming weekend but that seems to have disappeared from the forecast, and could well be a barren April, though what's the betting God will have the last laugh as we leave Thursday week to drive up to Tignes to get my daughters rolling eyes
ski holidays
This season has left me a broken man!

She:

-stole my money (Arlberg season pass and Krazy K)
-beat my confidence (a seasons worth of wind slab and ice)
-burnt my skin (wind burn, sun burn, you name it)
-pickled my liver (KK again)
-left me feeling un-finished and unfulfilled
-Bludgened my optimism (lying Bergfex and that Stanton guys snow alerts)
-smashed my kit (broken boots, poles and skis)

And i loved it!
latest report
Hmm... for me it felt not as bad as 10/11 in terms of amount of snow, but the mild conditions were frustrating, and as we were more into off piste than 3 years ago more snow would have been great. I'm also disappointed that I didn't get to ski after 9th March-I should have been away last week but a work commitment put paid to that.
An off piste week from 5th Jan in St Anton was passable but not as good as it should have been. I think everyone has thought that if only the air temperatures had been a couple of degrees lower across the board, it would have been fantastic. I remember skiing in Flaine on about 2nd April 2011 and wondering why I was bothering.

However, we did get to Japan in Feb, had fab conditions which made up for it big time.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
pam w, Weathercam, the season has not yet ended here either if you wish for smugness. For me it never ends as I just switch to skiing on the glaciers over the summer months.

BTW it is snowing outside right now here! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Looks weird to see the blossom on the trees and dirty great wet flakes plopping down. It won't stay as the ground here is too warm, so I don't need to dig out the snow shovel, but a wee bit higher up it will give a few more non-glacier days of sliding. One season pass finishes on the 4th May, the other 15th May, so a couple of weeks or so still to enjoy in my neck of the woods too!
snow report
Here in Hampshire we have not had any snow at all this winter, the first snowless winter time in the last 11 years.
latest report
Even though I only skied one week (Christmas) I don't feel as bad as would expect. Nuff said. The Christmas week was pretty average base coverage was so poor. Did have some pow though. As seems to be the consensus for most it was a stop/start averagey sort of year. That's nature for you wink
snow report
Had this chat with one my work colleagues the other day. I've had a great season, he, who lives here in switzerland as well, has had a terrible season. For me, i skiied Champery, Avoriaz, Morzine, Mont Chery, Grand Massif, Lenzerheide, La Dole (jura), Splugen, Les Crosets (Jura), Crans Montana and Verbier.

I skiied i think roughly 35 days, and had 2 days where conditions were horrendous. My skiing has improved enormously and i had an absolute blast in powder, hardpacked piste, off piste marbles, on piste marbles, crud, icy moguls, slowguls, slush, grass, mud, and occassional perfectly groomed pistes. Not over yet either, off to chamonix next weekend for a bobble around grand montets....
snow report
Boring really. January - La Plagne - nice weather good snow. March - La Plagne again. Nice weather good snow.

I'll take a few more like that thanks.

snowHead
snow report
Huh. April is getting better now Very Happy
ski holidays
Bit of a mixed bag really. The positive first, at some point in all three trips I managed to find some powder to play in.

Went away to Plan Peisey in early January and for most of the week it was very mild and like spring, far t0o soft, lumpy and bumpy at the end of the day in places and some runs very icy. But it did snow on the day we arrived so the first morning skiing was a delight. The rest of the week was a bit of a mix but not deep winter skiing!

For Half term at Madonna the huge amounts of snow had been effected by rain the day before we arrived and as the week was again quite mild (see a thread here) the mornings were hard and the afternoons slushy. But again during the mid parts of the day there was really good skiing to be had; and yellow snow from the Sahara, something I've heard of but not experienced before. The queues in Madonna were awful by the way rolling eyes

The last trip, a quicky to Morzine on my own, had all sorts of condtions, first day baking hot but great skiing. Second day, awful weather and one of the cr**pest days skiing I've had for a while. The final day the temperature dropped and so did real snow, a really great day and a great end to my season Very Happy

Now planning next years trips!
ski holidays
Much of France had average snow, but seems snow often fell with high winds. And there was much wind when not snowing. This was one of major reasons for poor snow quality. And high avalanche risk on many higher slopes, adjacent slopes scoured, while not enough snow to ski the trees lower down.

Seems like wind was a real problem this year.

Between poor snow, warmth, wind, and early season weak layer, an imperfect storm
snow conditions
Quote:

Seems like wind was a real problem this year.

Depends where, I suppose - but at the kind of altitudes I usually ski at (1100 - 2000m) it wasn't particularly windy. I only remember one day when some chairlifts were closed due to high winds - and that usually happens a couple of times a season. I wasn't here for the vacances scolaires but I don't think it was especially windy then. IIRR Meteo France said the northern French Alps generally had average or above-average snow depths much of the time - but it certainly wasn't cold. I don't think I ever wore thermal long johns this year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's been a funny winter in Les Arcs, regular snow but no big falls - so lots of good days but no great ones. The last month has mostly been warm and sunny, but the snow hasn't disappeared too quickly. I think I'd better come back next year for another attempt snowHead
ski holidays
coddlesangers, Nice to hear someone so upbeat. Here in the Four Vallees? not as good as the last two years, but still ok, the last week has been slushy, but you have to adapt to early skiing in the morning and finish for the afternoon. I think we're all beginning to feel quite summery.
ski holidays
It's been awesome. 25 days so far across the 3V, Paradiski, Espace Diamant, Zillertal and the PDS. We've had every condition imaginable and I've loved every minute. We've got another 7 ski days to go in Espace Killy starting this weekend and hopefully a day or two up here in Scotland before the snow goes.
snow report
clarky999, Very Happy
I'll hold off on my review for a few days I think.
snow conditions
waynos wrote:
clarky999, Very Happy
I'll hold off on my review for a few days I think.

Snow to below 800m this morning, for only the 3rd time this season!
snow conditions
peanuthead, not aware of wind being at all unusual this year?
snow report
In Jan when the southern Alps and Italy was getting whacked there was a lot of Forhn wind in the Northern and Western Alps .
ski holidays
Quote:
peanuthead, not aware of wind being at all unusual this year?

under a new name, you should pay more attention wink Laughing

Rightly or wrongly I seem to remember reading about small dumps of snow being accompanied by high winds rather a lot.

I think it has just been as ArseCaptain, nicely summed up "a funny winter" and as he also says we should all come back and give another try next year wink Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Somewhat pants. Too warm, lots of overcast greyness, bog all proper powder. And that is definintely the last time I work for a TO. Can't imagine what I was thinking about. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Second year pottering in and out of Isola in the Alpes Maritimes, and they're still reporting over 2.5m on the summit. In reality it looks very different to last year - the wind took any fresh snow off from February onwards, and despite there being decent sized dumps and very little rain it hasn't actually been that cold. It was horribly icy and crap in December, a few weeks passed between miniscule snowfalls until around just after christmas, then there was a fluffy apocalypse and it was pretty much set for the season. It's been properly scorchio the past few weeks though, and don't mention sunburn, it's a delicate subject Wink

Closing weekend is the last one in April and to be honest they could probably squeeze another few weeks out of it before it got down to the level they opened with at the end of November. I wasn't disappointed this year but when you're used to Mt Hemel during the summer you have low standards Wink
snow report
robboj wrote:

In case you haven't guessed I mean how was it weather and snow wise?
Thoughts anyone?

Excellent I thought!
1/2 PSB & week after, intensive practice on breakable crust of all varieties all over Esp Killy....

St Anton mid Jan Piste to Powder, fresh tracks every day (despite unfortunate injuries to others in group casting a bit of a shadow), many taxi rides back from various places. 1 great day at Stubai beforehand, only time I've been there.

Gressoney 1st wk Feb, in the right place at the right time: off the scale. Snowed pretty much constantly, full on hard charging guide, thigh deep snow, steep tree skiing and all the rocks and drops had a metre + of fresh snow on them, it's what big rockered skis are made for Very Happy

OP Bash March, Serre Chevalier. HOT . Great guide and great days in Montgenevre and La Grave, including a late afternoon, no hanging about, descent of La Voute with snow all the way to the road. AND a fantastic ski tour on Dome De Monetier for the last day

Same again next season please Very Happy
ski holidays
David at Pistehors has put his Winter review online .

http://pistehors.com/summary-of-2013-2014-winter-conditions-23292835.htm

An excellent overview of the season in France .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy