Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disaster- ski holiday for sale

Poster: A snowHead
my friend has a family ski trip (two adults, two children skiing, one child in crèche)to La Rosiere tomorrow. Whilst doing the final packing this morning he checked the family passports and to his horror the 2yr old has no valid passport. They have done all they can liaising with the Passport office and the tour operator and it looks like a no go for them. Needless to say they are gutted so I am just putting out an eleventh hour feeler for any SH who wants a real last minute deal to a Catered Chalet with Esprit flying from Bristol tomorrow lunch time?

I can get more detail on request and if anyone is seriously interested I will put you in direct contact with my friend to come to suitable arrangement.

A long shot I know but worth a shout
Puzzled Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jirac18, indeed a disaster, I assume it has either been lost, or they never had one in the first place, as child passports are valid for 5 years. It's a shame there isn't a grandparent or relative who could look after the little one here.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jirac18, probably too late but has he actually visited a passport office in person?

Twice in recent years I have been told, in person, that what the call centre tells you is not necessarily the whole truth...e.g. When getting a 2nd passport I could have got it same day rather that returning to the UK twice over a 2 week period as informed by phone operator - which would have saved me a return flight and some time...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, friends certainly organised a new passport for their daughter in 24 hours by going to our local passport office.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's been a case of left hand right hand and indeed no passport at all sadly. There is possibility of Grandma coming to the rescue but doubtful. All options being worked on as we type. We would look after their daughter ourselves but mrs jirac is a childminder and fully booked up already so can't take another child even for free as it would be over her OFSTED agreed numbers. Right mess. Friends feel embarrassed and very upset with themselves for making such a mistake. This was to be the first trip for his wife and kids and they were all so excited and raring to go.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jirac18, oh dear, a real disaster.

Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can only go by what I've been told and that is that all possibilities have been exhausted with Passport Office with a negative result.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18, I don't think the premium service is available for a first passport, that is probably the issue here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, I think you are right. I know they have tightened up on emergency passports for young children too as part of the fight against child abduction from the UK
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just checked the small print on the Esprit Ski website regards changing a booking and to transfer the whole booking to another group you have to give 21 days notice so that rules out my OP as a possibility anyhow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they can arrange to drive by eurotunnel then they should be okay. One of my friends has got through both ways very easily- on the way out they will most likely check the covers of the passport and that is all. The french are very relaxed- the british on the way in are a bit tougher. Their best bet would be to get a letter from the doctors, buss pass or other proof of ID and also to take the expired passport- my friend took all of that on the advice from the french customs that they 'close their eyes' to expired passports in most cases.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JackSkier, Eurotunnel are very tight on the way back. HUbby had to provide additional ID when the chip didn't work on his brand new passport. This child doesn't have an expired passport and will be unlikely to have a bus pass.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JackSkier, that's true for sure. We have travelled back from France via Eurotunnel on an expired passport and just got words of advice to renew it. Nobody checked it as per usual when departing the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JackSkier, they don't have a photo id of any sort for their daughter so that is a big problem. I wouldn't expect even the laissez faire French authorities at Folkestone to allow travel with no id and the UKBF at Calais would certainly be on the ball enough to spot no passport for one of the kids
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep agree- it is too late to get a letter from the doctors now too. I think the french would spot it- they did check the numbers of people in the car in relation to the number of passports. If she was a bit older she would have more chance but with no ID and her not being able to say "these are my parents" etc then sadly they don't have much chance Sad
ski holidays
Just had an update and the grandparents have saved the day and will be looking after the little one for the week. They will all be sad to leave her home and go but that's better than losing the whole cost of an expensive ski holiday.

Thanks one and all for trying to help.
snow report
jirac18, pleased it is sorted
snow report
jirac18, most excellent!
snow conditions
jirac18, Good news!
snow report
A colleague had a similar situation with her 11 year old and a passport that had run out. Her husband got an emergency appointment at the passport office but they wouldn't issue the passport over the counter to him because of the child abduction thing that jirac18, mentioned above. The best the passport office would do was guarentee it within 7 days. My colleague was extremely lucky and they managed to postpone the holiday by a week and all being well are in Cervinia now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy