Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lunch in Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are heading to Tignes on Sunday, due to land at GVA at 12:30 so thought it may be a good idea to grab some lunch by the lake before we head up in our hire car (we have 2 young kids so wife not keen on the McDonalds pit stop in Annecy ...).

2 questions really :

- any car parks near the lake?
- any recommendations for family-friendly eateries?

Thanks Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can park in the car park by the train station and walk down to the lake from there (just a couple of minutes), or cross the lake and park in the Mont Blanc car park. For a couple of hours it'll cost you 2/3 chf I think.

If you stay on the airport side of the lake, you could try the Buvette de Bains de Paquis for lunch - excellent value, as it's run by the city itself, so not really for profit (and any profit goes into free live music during the year). That will put you right on the lake, and is gorgeous in good weather. However, if the weather is good, it'll be overrun by locals sunbathing and swimming on the attached 'beaches' and jetties. It'd be my first choice though, very authentic Geneva lakeside fun.

If you're willing to pay, Kempinski is very close also and has some lovely terraces overlooking the lake, and good food.

There will be a few lakeside cafes open too on Sunday if the weather is good, but they're generally rather tourist orientated, and so won't be that cheap, for not great food.

Do you want something on the lake itself, or any particular type of food?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks fixx,!

Something by the lake really so the Buvette de Bains de Paquis souns ideal – I’ll look the location up, we’re not looking for anything fancy, just a couple of hors really before the drive up to Tignes.

Think weather looks dry for this Sunday …

Many thanks.

Tony
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga, or ... a pit stop 30 mins into your journey by lake Annecy might also work? Apart from touristy elements as referred to above, pretty much anywhere in this neck of the woods is family friendly (unless its a strip bar Twisted Evil ).

Just looking on GMaps, looks like a few roadworks on the A41 and it's far prettier to go via Ugine anyway, so there are a few nice Annecy-lake-side restaurants on the road. Can't recommend any I'm afraid as we've never stopped at any...

Or...back to Geneva - just on the corner of the Quai du Mont-Blanc and the pont du Mont-Blanc is a very nice little restaurant called the Casanova which we've eaten at a good few times and always been happy. Italian / fish menu, good quality, probably not the cheapest but very friendly. I would be inclined to reserve although we've never had a problem - reserving might (if they have outside seating, which I am not so sure about) let you reserve outside.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh. Look. They do have outside seating http://bit.ly/1er1ZrO Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
franga, or ... a pit stop 30 mins into your journey by lake Annecy might also work?

They would be unlikely to get there in time to eat, French restaurants tend to shut the kitchen at 2pm at the latest. Otherwise the French side of the border every time for food. Swiss food tends to be universally dire, there are one or two ok restaurants in Geneva. Lipp for example or the Bain de Paquis (most unlikely they will get in on Sunday lunchtime).

Seriously though I can't see driving from the airport into Geneva on Sunday to eat by the lake as a great idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a couple of places in Annecy town that would be open all afternoon though. We've eaten in a couple on the way to Geneva in the past. It was easy to park too. Alsace Brasserie place, and a pizzeria in the old town spring to mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, hadn't thought the timing through.

Swiss food is not universally dire. I would submit that taking 10 random ordinary French and Swiss restaurants even allowing for them to "look nice" as a criterion and you would get better value for money and more consistent quality in Swiss Romande (ok, the German side might be a little dire) than in neighbouring France.

The Casanova is on the shore of lac Leman, not Annecy and that route on a Sunday should be quite quiet, barring civil unrest or organised partying.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Can't recommend any I'm afraid as we've never stopped at any...

If doing the scenic drive I'd go down the eastern shore (look for the signs to Talloires) to Menthon St Bernard. If you follow the signs to the port (not long after the road to the beach) there's a very pleasant "Bistrot du Port" which will be open. Not expensive at all, reasonable range of stuff to eat. Right by the water - might be fairly busy on a sunny Saturday but you'd probably be able to park (probably in the "overflow" car park, rather than right down by the Bistrot) and it's free.

I wouldn't drive into Annecy itself, or into Geneva, if given the choice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bug, it's Sunday of course... which means if you do end up in Geneva, much will be shut. Most/many restaurants anyway. Pretty sure Casanove opens Sunday however.

Personally, I like Pam's suggestion.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In fact, looking at the reviews, the Bistrot du Port is now on the list for an excursion one sunny weekend Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like Pam's suggestion too, looks lovely especially on a sunny day.

Snack in the car for the little ones and a late leisurely lunch by the lake, bliss.

Thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

there's a very pleasant "Bistrot du Port" which will be open. Not expensive at all, reasonable range of stuff to eat. Right by the water - might be fairly busy on a sunny Saturday but you'd probably be able to park (probably in the "overflow" car park, rather than right down by the Bistrot) and it's free.

I wouldn't drive into Annecy itself, or into Geneva, if given the choice.

the Bistrot du Port would be my choice too but I really doubt they will get served after 2pm on a Sunday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah, davidof, I would definitely phone in advance to make sure... although it's reasonably touristy... might be OK ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy