Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calcium in shoulder?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a very painful shoulder, started from when I was knocked of my bike (landing on my head and shoulder) in 2004. It has been nigerly ever since, but this last year it has been getting worse and worse so I have been back to the doctors yet again, as now my movement is really limited and I am constantly waking in the big due to the pain. She referred me for an ultrasound which I had this morning but she couldn't complete it due to find a calcium build up which prevented her seeing what she was trying to check, and she then sent me for an X-ray.

I am (still) waiting for the consultant referral to come through, in the meantime has anybody experienced anything similar, and have any advice especially in how to stop it hurting as painkillers aren't touching the pain.

Thanks

Oh and just in case any body wanted to know, I was wearing a helmet Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?section=10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcific_tendinitis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you know it isn't t the calcium that is causing the pain? I had a shoulder problem that an X-ray found was a calcium build up. What an x ray can't tell is whether it is still building up or breaking up and going away. The only time ultra sound was involved was when it was used to guide a targeted steroid jab. Within 5 mins the pain had gone never to return.

On a slightly different note it is stuff like this where insurance comes into its own (there was thread running fairly recently on the pro's and con's of insurance) by getting consultant advice and treatment quickly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ, I have a similar problem and my doc is considering something called "Stoßwellen-Therapie" which sounds horrendous but I think it involves some kind of sonic pulse to break up the calcification. I watched a report on it here on TV the other day and it seems it is gaining support. Sadly it is only on offer to those with private insurance at the moment so I'll have to wait until it becomes mainstream before I can try it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ian999 wrote:

On a slightly different note it is stuff like this where insurance comes into its own (there was thread running fairly recently on the pro's and con's of insurance) by getting consultant advice and treatment quickly.

Except this accident happened before I had any private health care and when I did have some they always excluded my shoulder, as a pre-existing condition.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ian999 wrote:
Do you know it isn't t the calcium that is causing the pain? I had a shoulder problem that an X-ray found was a calcium build up. What an x ray can't tell is whether it is still building up or breaking up and going away. The only time ultra sound was involved was when it was used to guide a targeted steroid jab. Within 5 mins the pain had gone never to return.

The comment of the lady doing the ultrasound implied that the calcium build was caused by the underlying issue that I have had since the bike accident
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, interesting.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?section=10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcific_tendinitis

I found those links via a google. Interesting though they don't mention it being triggered by an impact injury.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My OH had calcium on both shoulders (when he came home the first time with this news the boys said that "Dad's turning into a fossil"). He had them manipulated under a general anaesthetic. There was a long NHS waiting list when he was waiting for the first one to be done. Then on the advice of a friend he tried some acupuncture which turned the chronic condition acute. His left shoulder was so bad he couldn't hold a loaf steady to cut a slice, he certainly couldn't drive - basically he couldn't do anything and was in a lot of pain. So he shot up the waiting list - result! And a lot cheaper than going private. wink I think he had the two done; as soon as one got better the other went the same way. The whole thing took about 4 years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, thankfully my left arm is fine, which is why driving is just about possible. It is getting more and more difficult to do things like washing my hair now though. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ, here's a link to an English language explanation about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_shockwave_therapy

It seems to be gaining credence here at least for treatment of kidney stones amongst other things, but the news report I watched was specifically about the treatment of calcifications causing tendinitis in the shoulder which is what I've got. It follows on from a number of full and partial dislocations over the years.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
NickyJ, here's a link to an English language explanation about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_shockwave_therapy

It seems to be gaining credence here at least for treatment of kidney stones amongst other things, but the news report I watched was specifically about the treatment of calcifications causing tendinitis in the shoulder which is what I've got. It follows on from a number of full and partial dislocations over the years.

Hmmm does look very interesting and looks like a few places are offering it, certainly privately. Time to make few calls and find out what the cost is. It certainly sound much better than surgery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, that must be the first time I've heard of acupuncture having a clinical significance! Most excellent!

Samerberg Sue, lithotripsy is fairly standard treatment for kidney stones (although I understand the immediate after effects can be quite tender...)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, I'm aware of the kidney stone treatment's acceptance which is why I don't understand my health insurer's non-acceptance of it as a viable non-surgical alternative treatment. I'm insured with one of the major German government health insurance schemes (gesetzliche Krankenkasse) and mine is known to be one of the more generous and open-minded ones. If they don't support it, then I'm pretty sure most of the other main players here don't. The German Wiki page implies that as well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ, your "impact injury" may have brought the problem to your attention, but the process had probably been going on for some time before that.

Samerberg Sue, be very careful of any treatment available "privately" but not available on the NHS, especially if the doctors concerned do not work in the NHS as well.
Many private clinics are out to make money rather than solve clinical problems.
ski holidays
Jonpim, my impact injury was in 2004. 10 years ago. It left me with a niggly shoulder ever since. It is this last year where it has got worse. I have absolutely no issues with my left shoulder. I am only 38 yrs old.
snow report
Jonpim, err, perhaps you should read my posts more carefully. I'm not UK based rolling eyes

It is openly acknowledged here that German surgeons like to operate, they even agreed that it is their preferred route as it is the more profitable option. Luckily I have a surgeon successful enough to be more honest and open-minded to always try non-surgical routes before using the knife. The cosy and mutually profitable relationship between the doctors and the Gesetzlichen Krankenkassen is why my health insurance payments each month are so high wink
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
I have a very painful shoulder, started from when I was knocked of my bike (landing on my head and shoulder) in 2004. It has been nigerly ever since, but this last year it has been getting worse and worse so I have been back to the doctors yet again, as now my movement is really limited and I am constantly waking in the big due to the pain. She referred me for an ultrasound which I had this morning but she couldn't complete it due to find a calcium build up which prevented her seeing what she was trying to check, and she then sent me for an X-ray.

I am (still) waiting for the consultant referral to come through, in the meantime has anybody experienced anything similar, and have any advice especially in how to stop it hurting as painkillers aren't touching the pain.

Thanks

Oh and just in case any body wanted to know, I was wearing a helmet Happy

May be worth getting a steroid injection, if that fails then sometimes surgery can be helpful.
snow report
Well had the steroid injection yesterday time will tell.
snow report
hope that's successful, NickyJ. Those shoulder things are very unpleasant.
ski holidays
Well it gave some relief, I have had a few weeks of being able to slep which has been great but Annoyingly it is wearing off already and I am sat here in agony Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy