Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Arctic Heliskiing in Iceland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trip report from our visit to www.arcticheliskiing.com 27 March 2014

Day 1: WOW air flight from gatwick to kevlavik airport (this is the international airport - most flights in seem to be from North America). About a 3 hour flight. Then Taxi to Reykyavik Airport (the domestic airport) took 45 minutes so we had time to pop into Reykyavik for a look before our flight to Akureyri (up North) at 1845. Quirky (in a good way) main street with lots of bars and restaurants on it. Back to the domestic airport and flew to Akukeyri, about 45 minutes. Picked up by the lodge for a 45 minute drive to the arcticheliskiing lodge. The Northern Lights are out in a big way as we come out from dinner and the Salomon Freeski team kindly show us their photographer's output.

Day 2: breakfast at 0800, transceiver training and safety briefing (all very much Canada style, no surprise as the guides have worked there), lunch in the lodge, first heli at 1330. 7500 metres vertical; spring snow, 9 heli lifts, bluebird, absolutely amazing views of the Troll peninsula with sea views as you ski. There are just 8 guests in the lodge (2 groups of 4 on private packagaes) so we see no one else all day. The other group return at 1930 (it is not dusk until around 2030. By June it is light 24 hours)

Day 3 another blue sky, no wind day. First lift at 1015. Still hard pack so we wait it out for 45 minutes in a valley. Then access spring snow all day. Lunch on a peak with 360 degree views of the terrain. 9100 metres vertical skied. Our pilot is a legend - he can draw pictures in the snow with the skids of the helicopter (not with us in it). We ski down to the beach on what they call the Gold Coast

Day 4: Same again except we head further East. We have lunch on a small offshore island. The heli lands on a concrete pontoon and we sit in the sun with young seals popping their heads up to check us out. Back at 1830 after 11,800 metres vertical and 2 hours fly time. We now have just 18 minutes flytime left. Extra hour Euro 2,200 for 4.

Day 5: the plan (flawed with hindsight) is to heli/ski over towards the airport at Akureyri and then end there. As it turns out we have to contend with fog in the valley which makes flying to the airport impossible. We stop at the helipad at the Akureyri ski hill and are driven to the airport. Flight at 1845, dinner in a good restaurant in Reykyavik and a 0430 pick up for our flight the next morning. Back to work by lunch the next day.

Other stuff:
- we did a private heli (as opposed to semi private). I think it is worth the premium here
- our guide (Einar) was great. JB, the owner, is also very laid back
- I took touring set up and there were various tourers about including ones using heli assist ie one lift into the terrain. Would be handy to be able to tour in poor weather
- lodge skis are good quality eg Volkl Mantra, Gotama etc. I took my own but you don't need to
- all Avi kit is good. ABS Bags can be rented but was low risk while we were there.
- the lodge includes beers which helps as they are expensive in iceland
- each pair of guests sleeps in a small bedroom hut thing with one bed down stairs and one up in the eaves, perfect for 2 men. Good quality beds etc
- food is high quality and changes daily
- wine is extra but fairly priced for Iceland
- staff super friendly and very laid back

Photos to follow

Summary: well worth a visit for spring snow (powder would be rare I think) bearing in mind unique location and proximity to UK airports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very nice. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy