Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you French fry when you should have pizza'd

Poster: A snowHead
Little clip I put together to take the pee out of my mate from a recent trip.

My video and sound lay over skills are in their infancy so the filler (when I'm collecting the skis) is a bit long/annoying-OK some will probably find it ALL annoying....

The sound layover might be a bit lost on most but it comes from the other clip that I always find amusing.

This happened on the last day, you'll see my mate appear on the right in blue straight lining it then pooing himself and trying to scrub the speed off before going back bottom over tit. He's a great bloke (when he's not skiing) but he generally skis far too fast on piste for his ability and the amount of traffic so he's lucky to have not done anyone else or himself any damage.

This is the Mont Vallon red-if you take a left at the top and this was pretty close to the bottom.

http://youtube.com/v/jjxd-k4CshU

http://youtube.com/v/q5thIuCSTkk
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had 6 down at exactly the same spot. A right yard sale.
http://youtube.com/v/wOivqHLhHAg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not very keen on the second clip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sequoiaboard, yup, the bloke is an idiot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Strange that anyone would want something like that to be in the public domain. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Not very keen on the second clip.

Poor little kid. What a complete idiot. Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's why I was taught at a very early age that as soon as I was going too fast for my liking or control to sit down, sideways. Which I did. A lot.

Scary footage - desire to gopro overcomes any possibel common sense?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I clicked on some "See Also"s and found this astonishing dickishness:

http://youtube.com/v/BGa4mRCYPwo

He's gracious enough in the comments to admit "part" responsibility!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We had 6 down at exactly the same spot. A right yard sale.
http://youtube.com/v/wOivqHLhHAg

Ha ha that clips absolute carnage! Particularly like when it pans the the person face down.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get them both lessons, especially the kid. The kid shouldn't be on a run of any length until he can stay in control and stop safely. And he doesn't need poles.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I still look at Mont Vallon and wonder if it's still beyond me. I understand that both reds off the top are long and robustly steep and often mogulled. Given that there is no snaking blue path that I could jump to (i.e. once you go for them you are committed) I've always given them a miss so far.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was it just last week that Ministers were proposing to make emotional cruelty to children a crime? Suggesting that an out of control beginner on a red run should "do a pizza" is sheer idiocy. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bene, the other clip is far from amusing Evil or Very Mad . It's been posted on SH's previously and what I'd like to do the idiot screaming at the kid isn't repeatable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I still look at Mont Vallon and wonder if it's still beyond me. I understand that both reds off the top are long and robustly steep and often mogulled. Given that there is no snaking blue path that I could jump to (i.e. once you go for them you are committed) I've always given them a miss so far.

I've seen your videos. Having done both sides a few times I reckon you'd get down without any serious injuries Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:

Megamum, I love the runs of Vallon. My understanding us you are a good skier, so they shouldn't be beyond you if I am right. Do them before coffee or the latest before lunch and they should be fine. They provide the most amazing views.

From the top, the one off to the right has a steep top section but rounds the corner and flattens off for a few yards. It fluctuates between steepish and not. It can get busy. It's very long and magnificent. One of my fave pistes in the alpes. You are missing a treat.

The one off to the left is steepish at the top , but is also a narrow path. After the first 200yds it opens out and is neither steep or narrow and I have rarely seen another person on it.

If you can do reds you can do these. Have fun.
latest report
swiftoid, NE1, 'Good' is probably over playing it IMV. I think I can probably ski most pisted reds now and I have done some fairly steep shorter sections (i.e. top section of Portette - there is also a steep bit in just over the top down into Wagrain in Austria on one of reds there), but I am not confident when faced with more challenging snow conditions (i.e. more than minor soft mounds) on steeper slopes. That isn't 'good' in my book, I reckon I'm a solid 6 on the Inside Out scale. From what you put it sounds like I might be OK earlier in the morning, particularly if I took my time and maybe made sure I had got a bit fitter as it is a long run. Maybe I will be ready for a try the next time I'm in the 3V's Smile
snow conditions
Oh my God the guy filming the second vid is an absolute dick. I hope to God its the kid's stupid teenage brother and not his father...
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe I will be ready for a try the next time I'm in the 3V's

I don't think you'd have any problem - just finish the turns to avoid picking up too much speed and revert to the trusted sideslip for any bits that look too horrible. That's my strategy, anyway!
latest report
Humpfknick, you're right. And I think using the cries of that very distressed child, just for a laugh, is despicable. Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive tonight....
snow report
pam w, no I agree, it turned my stomach!! The poor kid was genuinely terrified, he was lucky not to split his pelvis going at that speed with no control...
snow report
I really enjoyed the Mt Vallon runs. The one to the left always seemed much quieter-I guess from the Gondola what you see at the top looks narrow-cat track like to start with? The right had run is pretty epic but was pretty busy. The first pitch is pretty steep and I witnessed quite a few people walking back up?! A good thigh burner to try and do in one go.
snow report
Kids love speed, but at a young age they also have no comprehension of risks involved. That's where we as parents come in. The first thing we did when our son started skiing at 3 was ensured he always turned, drummed into him to always be in control, a good skier is not a fast skier. As time went on we would let him loose a little but he was always sternly reminded anytime he was out of control even slightly. Now at 6 I would say he is very much in control, might ski fast but can stop or avoid when he needs to, ok there was a couple of moments last week where he nearly wiped out one of our group coz he saw a jump and thought I'm going there, but again he was told off. We had a holiday a holiday a few years ago, wee one was just about to turn 4, there was an American family in the hotel. We saw the boy, a year or so older than ours, and his dad on the slope one day. The boy was just kinda tearing it down the hill, not really any control should there be another skier or obstacle. I think the father thought he was doing well, until he saw our son.( and us prob shouting about control!) ...then he realised that actually his son had no control. Next day we saw a different father.... wink

Ok I think I'm a bit off topic!
Embarassed
ski holidays
Gilly28, You're my sort of parent - my kids have done every sport they have with proper discipline. It ensures that everything is done safely and enjoyed. As you say kids have no conception of what can happen. Once they understand their sport and have obtained the necessary control then they can be allowed a bit of leeway to experiment - mine are 11 and 14 and have been allowed to ski by themselves on parts of the mountain for the last two years, but not before that - they go much faster than I do, but they do have the skills to deal with it and I have never seen them out of control. The kid in that video had been put on a mountain he didn't have the skills to deal with. He was lucky he appeared only cold and scared rather than seriously injured, but it could so easily have been worse and it could have put him off skiing for life. Damn idiotic parent if you ask me and should not be admired or used for a laugh by anyone IMO
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
swiftoid, NE1, 'Good' is probably over playing it IMV. I think I can probably ski most pisted reds now and I have done some fairly steep shorter sections (i.e. top section of Portette - there is also a steep bit in just over the top down into Wagrain in Austria on one of reds there), but I am not confident when faced with more challenging snow conditions (i.e. more than minor soft mounds) on steeper slopes. That isn't 'good' in my book, I reckon I'm a solid 6 on the Inside Out scale. From what you put it sounds like I might be OK earlier in the morning, particularly if I took my time and maybe made sure I had got a bit fitter as it is a long run. Maybe I will be ready for a try the next time I'm in the 3V's Smile

Megamum, as a 6 you will be ok( I thought you were about 9). There are lots of places to stop, do it about 10-11ish and you will head straight back for another go wondering what all the fuss was about 😀. Yeah there are some tough bits but they are doable. I reckon I'm a 7. Just take your time and enjoy.
snow report
Megamum,

From your videos you'd be fine on Mont Vallon. Combe de Vallon is my favourite piste anywhere. The only tricky part is the very top and that does have a path to avoid the most awkward part.

J
snow report
Quote:

Poor little kid. What a complete idiot.
+1

Whoever came up with the phrase 'do a pizza' should be shot.
snow report
Is the pizza just a north american phrase? First time I heard it was on South Park..... Very Happy
latest report
No, you try explaining the physics of snow ploughing to a three year old.

Three yr olds like pizza so its pretty simple.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No, you try explaining the physics of snow ploughing to a three year old

agree - not a good idea. But "pizza" is not the only alternative. Instructors in France shout "chasse-neige" - or "snow plough" (with a nice French accent) for an English speaking child. Or "skis parallel". My four year old grand-daughter knew perfickly well what "parallel" means but I doubt she'd have known what a "French fry" was. She calls them "chips" wink . After her ski lesson, a few years ago, she kept shouting "snow plough Leeeeeely" in a good imitation of her instructor, whose English was fairly minimal. But this was on a very gentle slope and the instructor was very attentive and would have scooped her up long before her speed became remotely dangerous. I was following with a camera and noted that the instructor skied a little behind her, watching out for speeding skiers from behind. Lily had noted that too. She said proudly "I went faster than the instructor, did you see? She got left behind!".

A successful lesson!
snow conditions
The true phrase is "Make like a pizza" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
After the first half minute, I'd had enough. Reminds me of people who get their snowploughing kids to go down the black run Valentin at LDA.
snow conditions
Lack of control skiers seems far more common these days, just like driving a sports car if you don't know how to control things, turn, stop etc. you WILL have an accident, how serious is down to luck as much as anything.

People who are out of control are a risk to themselves and everyone around them, the worst are those who are not happy to go down the big slopes but are being pushed to do so by parents, relatives or occasionally boyfriends Mad
snow report
pam w, My son's first lesson on snow was at Xscape when they developed a Penguin Club for little ones and he was in the inaugural class (aged 3).

They decided that to get the kids interested they would spend a few sessions playing about with skis and on the very shallow slopes so to make it fun pizza and chips were used.

Am I bothered that after a few days in the mountains he sped off shouting "chiiiiiiiiiips"? No, quite the opposite.
snow report
homers double, it's lovely to see little ones enjoying themselves on the slope, whatever they are shouting!
snow conditions
NE1, level 9!!! I wish I was!! Laughing jedster, that sounds like the sort of path they had at the top of the red run - Arandeliers on Aiguille rouge in Les Arcs, I looked long and hard at the first 50 yards which is part of the black and ditched it in favour of the path. I think I then ran the red from top to bottom in the finish, and was dead chuffed to have managed it especially as it was about 3 years ago and there are places where it meets the black and I know I actually skied the black side of the piste at some points.
ski holidays
Bene wrote:
.........OK some will probably find it ALL annoying....

I'm in that group, Dude rolling eyes
snow conditions
Perhaps it's because I am an adult, but the phrase 'make like a pizza always baffles me for a moment when I hear it (once in a blue moon on here for example)' in my book pizzas are circles, it is actually a pizza wedge that is the shape which is being encouraged and I generally do a double take whilst I make that connection. Daft phrase IMO, my kids didn't learn pizza and chips, they learned snow plough and parallel (and started to ski at age 3) and did quite fine.
ski holidays
meh...
snow report
Quote:

Well go you and your fancy souther phrases, I'm quite sure their private education and math lessons are far more advanced than those up gottty north.

The chips appear to be on the shoulder. wink What made you think that Megamum's kids go to private school?
latest report
Pizza is much easier to say than snow-plough, and in the US it's not a snow-plough in any case, it's a wedge....... so pizza wedge makes perfect sense. We all know that most pizza is round(ish) to start with, but little kids don't really see it like that since many only ever see the slice they get to eat. Once they've been taught that the shape their skis make to slow and stop is called a pizza, they know what we're talking about. Since nearly every kids ski school uses the term it's really hard to use something else.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy