Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after Knee Replacement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After seeing surgeon today I will be having an Arthroscopy in a few weeks but I have been told I will need a knee replacement in a few years. Hoping to get to 50 before getting it done. Currently 46 and carrying a few stone extra.

Just wondering has anyone managed to ski after knee replacement. Surgeon said I should be. Won't be doing anything daring. Happy to stick to cruisey blues and the odd red.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2waterford, there's some advice here from Jonathan Bell http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2471606&highlight=knee+replacement#2471606

plus I think some other threads about it.

Good luck - I'll be a candidate in maybe 15 years if I can keep up the exercise. No doubt you will be planning on losing the few extra stone to help buy time wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2waterford, i am in the same situation, but new knee is probably more like 3 years away. I have worn the patella joint away so that it is bone on bone. If I have this arthoscopy, it will be my second in three years. Trying to make the decision about knee replacement is hard- but everyone says skiing should not be a problem. For me, it's when is it bad enough to do it. I am ok on flat pistes, it's bumpy, chopped, or slushy which is very painful. One thing I do know, since the problem has worsened, i have worked hard on my fitness, lost weight, and got a good trainer/physio. It has made all the difference and I have managed 30 days on snow this year, just not all types of snow! I would recommend you think about working hard now to improve weight and fitness. It worked for me!
'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, looks like I really need to knuckle down to loosing the weight. Will work on the fitness once I get the Arthroscopy out of the way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2waterford, have a read of this thread (well not all of it). However after reading it and watching the programs, I decided to give it a go (5:2 fasting) and have lost over two stone now, meaning I am well in the normal weight range. My primary motivator has been my knees.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know I will be having both knee joints replaced at some point in the not too distant future; my surgeon has told me that the next "accident" with my right knee will make it inevitable and the left knee will also get new spare parts when it goes again. He sees no problems at all with regard to returning to skiing, being a keen skier himself he understands why someone would not want to give it up. My rehab will be intensive and sports led at a rehab centre either near where I live or a residential one. Totally different attitude to the surgeons in the UK who told me I'd never walk properly again and that I would have to use a cane until I was old enough for the replacement parts, plus of course that I should give up ALL sports completely!

I have friend out here who has had several joints replaced including his knees; he skis, goes touring on skis, races H yachts in the summer in the Baltic and paraglides with me from our local mountains. He is a wee bit older than me at 70 something, but as fit as a fiddle (or a gym shoe as they say out here! wink )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Knee replacement seems to be changing - with more people becoming active afterwards. Has the technology changed? I'm hoping it will be brilliant before I need a replacement!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Knee replacement seems to be changing - with more people becoming active afterwards. Has the technology changed? I'm hoping it will be brilliant before I need a replacement!

The implant I use was one I changed to about ten years ago as I believed it would be better for active , younger people. I also have had more and more people ask for a knee replacement to remain active and so have increasing experience of doing them. I believe that many surgeons are a bit stuck in the past and tend to tell people with bad knees to give up. I have changed my approach to rehabilitation after knee replacement and want to push on towards higher levels of function.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have changed my approach to rehabilitation after knee replacement and want to push on towards higher levels of function.

That sounds excellent; we baby-boomers have high expectations!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, indeedy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy