Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

First time skier -going this Friday to Les Arcs 1950.Can anyone offer any advice / answers for the following questions I have ?

1) I have read on here that I should take ski hire insurance but to pay it locally in the shop. I have booked skis / boots etc via snowbrainer from Les Arcs 2000. Should I have added the insurance policy snowbrainer offered or can I pay in the shop ? and if so how much is it ?

2) I was going to top up my existing Nationwide Building society insurance to cover family and winter sports. They want £70 but it's for a full year. Does any one have any experience of Nationwide, or is there a feature I should be checking they cover ?

3) On top of this - should I add the piste insurance when I buy lift passes locally ? is this mountain recovery needed ( i.e not covered in insurance in 2 above ?). I have bought lessons from ESF and that included adult ski passes for the week - but I plan to buy childrens passes in the resort when the instructor confirms what they need.

Thanks
Nick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look at the coverage you want and then see if that is covered by the policy. Even though I do hardly any off piste, I always make sure that off piste is covered - you don't want to have an accident mucking about in the snow on the fringes just off the piste and not be covered.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, may not be relevant to a first-time skier though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, true. Mind you, when I was a beginner my control was so bad that I must have spent at least some of the time off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Converse, Everyone has slightly different attitudes to insurance I tend to insure only for big expenses.

1) Beginner skis should be cheap and weekly insurance tends to be very expensive I would not insure my equipment but would separate it when left unattended to decrease the chances of anyone nicking it.
A personal opinion

2)Can't tell you what Nationwide is like I have often used direct travel which is cheap but you will really have to look out for the things you want, rescue medical and rehab to country are the three things which can cost that I look out for. Possibly third part damage. Things like delays lost baggage etc is really up to personal preference.
3)Rescue should be covered on any proper insurance and extra should not be needed the only advantage of having the resort insurance that I can think of is that you don't have to pay up front and claim back for rescue but if your credit card can cover the gap it should not matter.
I don't think off piste should be necessary as a beginner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, you are right. Off piste not needed for beginner. But if you are doing any other activities (skidoo, dog sled, etc) you want to make sure that you are insured for that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy