Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK half-term break in early April - which ski resort near Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
We are still struggling to decide which ski resort to go to for a week in early April. We booked our flight tickets long time ago and will arrive in Geneva on Saturday 5th April. I heard it had been very warm this year in the Alps. Is there any resort within 1.5 hour drive that will still be good for us? Our child is 7 and we need to put her at a ski school. She is a beginner red. Same for us the adults (my husband can do slightly better).

Some friends advised us to go to Val Thorens or Tignes but we hope to find something closer to Geneva. Is Samoens too risky a choice?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is Samoens too risky a choice?

Samoens wouldn't be a "risk" in that you could be pretty certain that down in Samoens itself it will all be grass and spring flowers and that up on the mountain there will be snow, but very much spring conditions, with a lot of slush. It looks (sadly) that there is going to be no more overnight freeze for the next week or so and snow conditions, honestly, will be deteriorating fast. Your friends' advice was good!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
binisnow, We stayed in Geneva with family Friday last week on the way back from Arc 2000. They don't see any local skiing shortly as it is so warm. As pam w says aim high. 2 1/2 hour drive will get you to Tignes, Arc 2000, Val Thorens etc.. I would aim high.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

They don't see any local skiing shortly as it is so warm

We will have skiing for several weeks yet, but it will be better in Tignes. Need to be higher than 2000m.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're going to Sainte Foy the same week and becoming rather concerned ourselves....that's a couple of hrs from Geneva I think..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
binisnow, welcome to snowheads snowHead Avoriaz might be worth considering.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're currently in Flaine, which is an hour from Geneva now, and there is plenty of snow with virtually all pistes open. Even if it's warm all week, there will be plenty of snow higher up and since you can all ski reds you will have plenty of choice.

Although you can ski to Flaine from Samoens, my advice would be to stay in Flaine given current weather conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro wrote:
binisnow, welcome to snowheads snowHead Avoriaz might be worth considering.

+1 snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trouble is with Avoriaz (apart from the fact that it's not that high, and looks like barely re-freezing overnight) is that there might be a lot of people heading up into that comparatively small area from other parts of the Portes du Soleil. Tignes might be a bit busy for similar reasons - but there's more scope for them to spread out up there. But even in Tignes it looks as though it'll be raining at lower levels.

Fruity, not a bad drive up to Tignes from Sainte Foy.

At present the weather is very warm but beautifully sunny and springlike and really rather pleasant. But the prospect of such warm temperatures coupled with precipitation is not so pleasant.

I am in an area with a top altitude of just under 2000m and will have my daughter and family, with two small girls, visiting for a week from 7 April. So I wish it were otherwise but there's nothing to be gained by trying to talk up the conditions (though no doubt plenty of people with holidays to sell will be doing just that).

There is, of course, little certainty about weather forecasts a week ahead - there's the possibility that current forecasts are wrong and that it'll get colder next weekend so we get snow instead of rain. However, if planning a holiday now, wanting to ski as much as possible all week, with anywhere within reach of Geneva to choose from, I'd go to Tignes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
binisnow, I would agree with pam w: accept the longer transfer and go for Val Thorens.
But: the snow is till ok here in Plagne 1800, though it does get soft in the afternoon.
And: according the the Flaine area thread, conditions are still ok there.

I'm not a fan of long transfers, and both my kids suffered Travel Sickness.
I always grabbed the front seats of the bus - telling the rep or driver your kids get sick if they don't sit in the front usually helps.
And get some audio books on the iPod - Harry Potter and Roald Dahl were the one's back then.

What would i do? Val Thorens. Been there a couple of warm Easters and always had a good time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Binisnow, we were told that ski school is already booked solid at Foy, so don't leave it too long to decide Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the snow is till ok here in Plagne 1800, though it does get soft in the afternoon.

the snow is absolutely fine at the moment here in Les Saisies - but we have had good re-freezing overnight till yesterday and there was nearly half a metre of fresh snow last weekend. That has meant that this last week has had superb conditions but it's going downhill a bit now and the very warm forecast is worrying. Once there's no overnight freeze even at the top, the deterioration can be quite fast. There'll still be skiing and if it doesn't rain conditions will be great. But it almost certainly IS going to rain.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
binisnow, snow higher up (> ~1,600) is in great shape, lower down, not so much.

The only likely skiing near Geneva would be Chamonix with lessons at La Tour or if ESF are taking kids groups up Brevent. But Brevent-Flegere is south-ish facing and will go off pretty early in the afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you very much for all your replies. How is the driving like from Geneva airport to Val Thorens? Do we need to have chains? We plan to rent a car from the airport.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
binisnow, if you rent from the Swiss side you'll probably (I only say that as I can't recall to when they still have them fitted) have winter tyres. You can ask for chains at a cost. I don't think you'll need them, if forecasts are correct.
snow report
Cervinia is another option to consider.
snow report
binisnow, its a few years (5?) since i rented a car from Geneva Airport - always rented from the Swiss side, and chains came automatically.
The drive from Geneva to Val Thorens is no problem. And if you take the Annecy route, quite charming.
latest report
binisnow, Mate... I think the posts regarding Avoiaz and Flaine are spot on... Although they re considered the 'high points' for their areas, everyone else will no this... I have been in the Grand Massif area at times like this and the snow low down can still be pretty good (Les Carroz esp), every man and their dog heads towards Flaine... Avoraiz will be the same with folk from Chatel/Morzine heading up there..

To be fair, looking at the weather forecast coming up, the snow is going to end up being pretty 'spring-like' all over, unless you go, and stay, really high... Val T gets my vote and is about 2.5 hours from GVA...

For what it is worth, and this is said with zero biased, the snow in Les Contamines, is supposed to be still holding up pretty well, but it is only from what I have heard, not experienced... I have no idea about Saint Gervais/Megeve though as they are lower down and likely to be suffering... Les Contamines is traditionally one of the areas where folk in the region go to when other areas begin to get pretty bad... Due to the slopes predominantly facing North...
snow conditions
binisnow, Mate... I think the posts regarding Avoiaz and Flaine are spot on... Although they re considered the 'high points' for their areas, everyone else will no this... I have been in the Grand Massif area at times like this and the snow low down can still be pretty good (Les Carroz esp), every man and their dog heads towards Flaine... Avoraiz will be the same with folk from Chatel/Morzine heading up there..

To be fair, looking at the weather forecast coming up, the snow is going to end up being pretty 'spring-like' all over, unless you go, and stay, really high... Val T gets my vote and is about 2.5 hours from GVA...

For what it is worth, and this is said with zero biased, the snow in Les Contamines, is supposed to be still holding up pretty well, but it is only from what I have heard, not experienced... I have no idea about Saint Gervais/Megeve though as they are lower down and likely to be suffering... Les Contamines is traditionally one of the areas where folk in the region go to when other areas begin to get pretty bad... Due to the slopes predominantly facing North...
ski holidays

latest report
AlpineAddict, receiving you loud and clear. wink I was wondering about suggesting Les Contamines but like you I've not been there myself recently. There was an interesting and positive report on Pila recently, noting that the snow conditions there were a lot better than Courmayeur.

Pila is in Italy but a very easy drive from Geneva, through the Mont Blanc tunnel. Might well be worth considering - you can stay in Aosta (which will probably be baking) in the valley or up in Pila itself.

I'd probably still go for Tignes though. Some excellent ski instruction available there.

Rent a car from the Swiss side of Geneva - it's more straightforward and you should still get snow tyres and chains as standard though you are (sadly) unlikely to need chains.
ski holidays
We stayed in Pila last year, much as we loved the resort, we were disappointed with the quality of the snow (mid February) Sad It didn't help that it snowed at 5am on the morning we were leaving and was coming down thick and fast as we left... grrrrr......talk about rubbing salt into the wound).
latest report
binisnow, thinking Italy, you could check out www.ski2.co.uk (no affiliation or interests) in Champoluc. Italy has generally had much more snow than France this year, unusually. Champoluc runs from 1,600m to 3,300m. Good value on the mountain, easy to navigate ski area, nice village (if a little quiet). Ski2 have their own english speaking ski school...

And about 2 1/2 hour drive from GVA with all but last 30 mins on motorway.
snow report
Still great snow in Tignes above 2000m to 3456m and its easily skiable down to Brevieres at 1550m (though you have to pick your time for this. Just back from skiing today and the place is very quiet this week - will ask around to see how bookings are going for next week to give you an idea.
snow conditions
^

I skied down to Brevieres on Friday and thought it was getting thin-ish in places. Best done by those on rentals fairly soon IMO.
ski holidays
Val Thorens without a doubt - it is the highest station in Europe (2300) -- and there is plenty of snow. Was there last week (having just made it to the resort from GVA in a rental car due to the heavy snowfall Saturday night) - BTW, we rented on the Swiss side and got neither winter tyres nor chains - still did okay getting up there from Moutiers). Skied over to Mirabel and Courchevel a few days -- and the snow was not so great there in the PM (south facing) - a lot of people going over to VT (north facing) - where the snow is much better, and holds up well even in the afternoon sunshine.

Just don't bother eating at L'Petit Ferme -- we had the most awful food experience there (raw Calzone, then came back burned to a crisp) -- and unbelievably bad service.

Otherwise fantastic.
snow report
Fruity, the snow conditions in Pila in February 2013 are not really relevant to the conditions in April 2014 - and we have a very recent report that snow conditions there now are good. As under a new name says the Italian side has generally had more snow than the French side, this year. It ain't always that way.
latest report
Thanks everyone. Not sure the difference between Tignes and Val Thorens for us, but I've booked accommodation at Tignes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not sure the difference between Tignes and Val Thorens for us, but I've booked accommodation at Tignes.

They'd both be fine - have a good holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Fruity, the snow conditions in Pila in February 2013 are not really relevant to the conditions in April 2014 - and we have a very recent report that snow conditions there now are good. As under a new name says the Italian side has generally had more snow than the French side, this year. It ain't always that way.

Just passing comment on it being a great resort really rolling eyes am well aware that last February bears no resemblance to April 2014.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy