Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas family holiday '14 query

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

(sorry for length of post)

Looking for some advice as having a bit of trouble finding a ski holiday for our first "whole family" ski trip away at christmas. My husband and I usually do our own thing in feb/march time and pretty much focus on the skiing, the snow and the terrain. However it's been proposed that we do a family christmas away skiing this year for 8 of us and so now we're a bit stumped. Here's the overview:

-mixed group of 8 adults (4 couples, 4 of us are under 30 & 4 are over 50)
- skiiers and non-skiiers
- ideally catered chalet either small chalet for just us or a bigger chalet where you can mix a bit more and it's not awkward having say 2 extra randoms!
-1 beginner and a couple who are very cautious or will not ski, 3 are confident & advanced skiiers
- would like ski area that suits the range of ability
- needs to have good town/cafe/shops for non-skiiers
- would like something that isn't just your basic chalet as we will celebrating christmas day so something more luxurious if poss.
- ideally 4 en suite bathrooms

My husband and I have been looking at Tignes, or Meribel (france in general really) but mainly as we like Tignes having been already, and Meribel has (suprisingly) a couple of cheaper deals compared to other places but would be interested in Austria, Italy or switzerland too.

Are we asking the impossible?! If anybody has any chalets they could recommend too that we could consider then that would be helpful.

am assuming we are looking at £1000pp all in as not found much under this price yet!

Many thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I were a non-skier I wouldn't want to spend Christmas in Tignes or Meribel. And Meribel is very strung-out - some of the chalets are a long way from the lifts.

I'm sure you're not asking the impossible - and I'm sure you'll have lots of good suggestions. Within the 3 Valleys Courchevel 1850 would be good - though quite expensive. There are some nice Ski Olympic chalets in Courchevel 1650 and it's an easy bus ride up to 1850 for shopping/people watching. I've not stayed with Ski Olympic in Courchevel but had 2 holidays with them - very good value, and they invariably get a good write up here on Snowheads.

We had a very good week in a Le Ski chalet (Rikiki) in 1650 but it was a last minute cheapie in early January and some years ago, so couldn't vouch for them now.

£1k might be a bit tight for a good chalet at Christmas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With your mix of skiers and potentially non-skiers I would look at Samoens in the Grand Massif.

I agree with Pam W that Tignes not a good idea if non skiers in the group
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
FiFi_Trixibell, if you post your request on the Solutions Room on the Chalets Direct website you will be spoilt for choice of chalets snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might prove too expensive but when we went to Zermatt it struck me as a good place to go with non skiers. Large town for those that want to wander round shops, the train ski lift makes it easier for non skiers to go up onto the slopes. The horse drawn carriages given a lovely atmosphere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest Tignes and in particular the chalet Planton. Though technically apartments they do dinners and breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. When we were there over New Year they did an excellent slap up meal New Year's eve. They may also do one for Christmas. The chalet is very near the pistes with the first lift just outside the door. For those who do not ski there is a big "wellness centre" swimming pool complex and even a big new indoor climbing wall. There is cross country skiing on the lake and even ice diving beneath it. I gather there are some shops and such like for people who like that kind of thing. To me it appears to have much more for non skiers to do than most resorts
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There is cross country skiing on the lake

Shocked XC skiing on a lake would be pretty boring - I have done a 5 km circuit this morning - a green (ie beginners) circuit but even that had a 70m dénivelé.

The thing that would put me off Tignes for non skiers is the bleakness. Bleak buildings, no trees. It should be possible to find something a bit more "sympa". Samoens would be fine as long as you were happy with a high possibility of no snow at village level.

Les Gets would be worth considering - attractive village, big enough to offer some scope and variety of shops, cafés etc, but not too big to ramble round happily on foot.

If you fancy something more French (Les Gets is very English) - maybe La Clusaz.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the input so far! Lots of places we've not even considered Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy