Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Queyras - If Carlsberg were to make a ski area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As many will know I'm based in Serre Chevalier, and every now and again go on road trips to other areas.

Last week had a number of friends out and together with a guide we have been skiing with since 97 did a road trip to an area I have always wanted to visit since I skied back there around five years ago.

I've since cycled there a fair few times when cycling the the Col Izoard from both directions, and others who may know their cols will know of the Col Agnel.

The area is known as the Queyras and has it's own weather system know at the Retour Est when snowfalls of a meter in under 24 hrs happen a couple of times a season, and we were fortunate enough to experience that.

The area is made up of a number of villages and hamlets and there are around eight ski stations (though we're only talking five or so lifts in each).

The attraction for us was the extent of terrain on offer for ski touring, and St Veran at just over 2000m is the highest commune in Europe and along with a number of lifts there the off piste potential is massive.

People in our group including the guide have all skied in many locations across the world and we all were amazed at this very special place.

If you're looking for some where different away from the hordes then this is a very magical place. It will appeal to those seeking to ski new terrain and who do not like what the big resorts offer.

Negatives are that it's a fair way from civilisation and airports etc and no through traffic once up the valley as the cols are closed.

I've written up a more detailed trip report along with loads of pics, should you so wish to find out more here

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-03-14 17:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thought this was going to be about Verbier......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does this place have anything to do with that lovely French wine, Vacqueyras , or is my French spelling appalling?

But then you mentioned St Veran as well ...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Retour d' Ost (however it's spelt!) isn't really a local effect to the Queyras, it's just they benefit from the snow it brings.

Sounds like a fun trip though!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 31-03-14 20:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112 wrote:
Does this place have anything to do with that lovely French wine, Vacqueyras , or is my French spelling appalling?

No - Vacqueras is a village in the Southern Rhone

https://goo.gl/maps/XrH5s
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know.... Wink

Just my wicked sense of humour
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know.... Wink

Just my wicked sense of humour
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy