Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A day trip to Pila

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
During a week in Courmayeur 16th-23rd March, we took a day trip to Pila. I was on the Ski Club GB "Technique Top Up" week, and this was one of the days of tuition from the excellent Emma Stocks. Emma was based in Pila for several years, so really knows the resort inside out.

Our coach dropped us at the carpark in Aosta, down in the valley, where the gondola up to Pila starts. The gondola ride over a dual carriageway and allotments was a bizarre experience, especially as it was definitely spring in the valley, with the locals working in their gardens. There was plenty of snow by the time we got to Pila though.

The weather in Courmayeur was pretty warm all week, with the snow suffering by the end of the day, particularly low down. Pila is predominantly north facing, and the snow held up much better. The skiing is a lovely combination of tree-lined runs, and some higher runs above the trees. There's a good variety in the runs, and some interesting bumps off the sides.

The view from the highest point of the resort, Piatta da Grevon at 2,662m is brilliant, and worth the trip up on the slow Couis 1 lift. You can look across towards both Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn in one direction, and down into the next valley in the other. The black run (27) down from there is pretty fun too.

We didn't experience any queues all day. There were quite a few ski schools, but there was no shortage of space. We didn't ski anywhere near all the runs in a day.

Although Pila only has 70km of pistes, I'm seriously considering it for a week's holiday next year. I think there's plenty to keep me occupied, especially if I spent some time in lessons, which appear to be far cheaper than in France. The 6 day ski pass also includes 2 days in any other Aosta Valley resort (Courmayeur, Cervinia, Champoluc, La Thuile), although I'm not sure how easy it is to get between them by public transport. There seem to be some reasonably price ski-in ski-out hotels.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sugarmoma666, interesting report, thanks. I drive through Aosta now and then and one of these days I'm going up to Pila! How much are the ski lessons?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, you won't be disappointed. It's a lovely little place. I'm not sure exactly how much the lessons are but when I looked they seemed very good value.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I was looking here: http://www.scuoladiscipila.com/content_e.asp?ID=4
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666, very similar prices to our local ski schools - the ESF and an ESI.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
sugarmoma666, interesting report, thanks. I drive through Aosta now and then and one of these days I'm going up to Pila! How much are the ski lessons?

Still not been yet ! Go on you will love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666, we do 5 days there most years and there is plenty to ski. Many hotels are ski in/out. We only do the 5 days as it can get busy on the weekends. Check out Pilaski.co.uk for good deals on accommodation - Carole lives out there so is as local as it gets. Just organise your flights and she does the rest cheaper than you can do yourself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pila is a great little resort. Went there in Feb 2014 after nine years away from the slopes. Prices are very reasonable. I ordered a coffee on the mountain on my first morning and braced myself for the answer at the till. It was 1.30E. Really good mountain restaurants as well with lunch for three around 40E. You are right in that public transport to the other resorts on the pass is not good. You would really need a car. Having a car also lets you stay in Aosta which is a fabulous little town. I remember paying 27E a day to get my daughter into ski school (2.5 hrs a day)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy