Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP! CHILD CARE NEEDED

Poster: A snowHead
We've just been let down by Esprit who are cancelling our booking for this Easter as they've not filled our chalet. We are in urgent need to find a ski holiday this Easter. Key issue is we have 2 kids, 6 and 3, for whom we need ski school and creche. Our 3 year old is a first time skier and not sure how it will go. 6 year old needs half day ski school only. Any recommendations for good schools / creches in Val D'Isere or 3 Valleys, and ideas how to join it all up so the day's skiing not interrupted too much.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga wrote:
We've just been let down by Esprit who are cancelling our booking for this Easter as they've not filled our chalet. We are in urgent need to find a ski holiday this Easter. Key issue is we have 2 kids, 6 and 3, for whom we need ski school and creche. Our 3 year old is a first time skier and not sure how it will go. 6 year old needs half day ski school only. Any recommendations for good schools / creches in Val D'Isere or 3 Valleys, and ideas how to join it all up so the day's skiing not interrupted too much.

What!!! That is awful did they not offer you another chalet? They did us when they pulled out of the resort last season?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franga, might be able to help - please send me a PM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely they have something else to offer you.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out Mark Warner
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga, when were you due to go? Have they not offered you an alternative?

As well as the suggestions above try http://www.familyski.co.uk/ I have heard nothing but good things and have seen them in action.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They have offered a lower quality alternative only, or one from an airport 4 hours away! Thanks will try those suggestions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When they offered me an alternative I originally explained the criteria which were important to us - short transfer that end, and interconnecting rooms or family suite. I was able to come back and ask for the accommodation that I wanted. I chose there belle Plagne place as there flagship place as I knew I would never pay their brochure prices for it. I guess it helped that we were already flying out of gatwick. I believe given how little notice you are entitled to claim back the extra it will cost you to achieve equivalent, I will try and dig out the details of that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franga, agree with NickyJ, try and press them for a decent alternative, I don't think it's fair what they have offered you and especially at this late stage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where were you due to go. What have they offered you. Where were your flights. I think I would be pushing harder on this. What do their terms and conditions say.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franga, I agree with dan100, sarah and NickyJ.

Might also be worth mentioning you asked for advice on snowheads.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franga, no specific suggestions from me but I hope you find something suitable. Very annoying when you have done a lot research and booked exactly the holiday you wanted. It's a bit much that firms can do this - if you booked a hotel room you wouldn't expect to have it cancelled just because they'd not sold all the other rooms.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very annoying. Agree go back to them and ask for something better. Mark Warner informed us a week before our first holiday with them (summer) that they hadn't got space for us in Rhodes but they would send us to Kos instead, still out of MCR. A day of bargaining by the missus and they upgraded us to a suite with its own private pool and upgraded us to full board. Holiday was so good, we went on another summer holiday with them last year.

Went skiing with family friendly in January as mentioned above. Excellent holiday with the personal service that you can only get in a small company so if you don't get something adequate from esprit I definitely recommend them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6 and 3- I think a lot of esf's will take them at those ages. I would say confirm a given resort will take them, then just book independently. Then never book package again
latest report
It mentions here about claiming compensation,

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/my-package-holiday-has-been-changed-or-cancelled

Which you'd are entitled to as it is within 30days.

Btw I have sent a PM to you as well.
snow report
Hi franga,

We have space for Sunday 13-20th April in our chalet Genepi if you think that might suit? Details via the link below.

The ski schools in La Plagne will take a three year old and we can either arrange after-ski-school care with them (usually lunch and a play in the snow - not a creche) or a private nanny to come to the chalet.

Any use?
latest report
Have you looked at http://www.skifamille.co.uk/offers/1383581571
We are going with them on 5th April. Looks like there might still be space in Reberty (3-valleys) or La Plagne. Only thing is they don't include flights so you would need to organise it separately (or drive like we do!)

This will be our 4th holiday with them, we holidayed with esprit 4 times previous to swapping to ski famille and prefer them vastly.
latest report
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions everyone - a day of further research beckons.

NickyJ / Montana, many thanks for your PMs, very helpful and will look into both options.

tizzyb, heard very good things about skifamille too, will look at the Reberty option.

Thanks again
snow conditions
franga, don't give up on pressing Esprit, you shouldn't be in this position having carefully chosen and booked in advance. They should be finding you something that is acceptable or offering very fair compensation for the inconvenience of you having to sort something else out at this stage. Good luck Smile
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
franga, don't give up on pressing Esprit, you shouldn't be in this position having carefully chosen and booked in advance. They should be finding you something that is acceptable or offering very fair compensation for the inconvenience of you having to sort something else out at this stage. Good luck Smile

+1
ski holidays
Did you work something out?!
ski holidays
Hi all - they offered to give us exclusive use of a Ski Total chalet which TBF I thought was a good gesture. It kind of defeated our over-riding objective re a ski / chalet holiday though : social aspect, our kids spending time with other kids etc ...

We are debating whether to accept a full refund I think which may be a blessing in disguise given the current snow conditions in St Anton and the fact that the FL is unlikely to drop much below 2,500M next week (apparently most apres ski places are starting to wind down for the season too).

Key lessons to be learnt :

- there are other family ski / seamless childcare providers other than Esprit (thanks for your contributions above!)
- lots of resorts run crèches etc (Whistler do this fantastically well)
- we will also look at potentially DIYing next yea's trips (which is what my wife and I always do when we ski without the children)

Thanks again.
snow report
Ah didn't realise you were going to St Anton. I know another family who are supposedly booked to go there on Sunday with Esprit.
Was it next week you were booked for?
latest report
Yes tizzyb, were due to fly out on the 13th. I'm sure next week should be fine - but 2 more weeks of sun / temps in the mid-teens won't do the snow any good.
snow conditions
franga, have you been with them before? We have had two very good holidays with them and we are booked with them again for April 2015 (to St Anton). They have availability to Courchevel, lots of high skiing there, and we have stayed there and would return very happily again. Fantastic ski in ski out location. Is that an option for you to switch to?
ski holidays
NickyJ,

You're right they do have availability in Courchevel as well as Val and Peisey, but flights are from Southampton - we live in Manchester - plus they could only offer twins (our kids are still young so not very appealing).

My real gripe with them is that they left it too late to advise us (only when I rang them / they didn't ring me) of their plans to not run the Adler on Easter week - which effcetively put us in a corner as alternatives are pretty limited.

We've had a good time with them last year and I wouldn't discount them completely in the future.

Fingers crossed for you next year - the Arlberg can't have 2 bad snow years in a row ..
ski holidays
franga, I can fully understand your frustration, it isn't good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga, if you cancel and fancy doing DIY I can recommend a very nice hotel in Stuben with great facilities for kids inc a swimming pool and a wellness area for adults
ski holidays
Thanks kitenski,

... Esprit have tonight released more beds in Tignes but on an independent travel basis (which is fine as still plenty of seats on the GVA flight from Manchester)!!!

We'll ring them first thing to see what's what ...

Are you in Stuben now? Is the snow holding up OK?
latest report
franga, no I go on Saturday.
snow report
franga, best of luck! I have just taken a look at the St Anton web cams, think you may be making a good move.
snow conditions
Quote:

they left it too late to advise us (only when I rang them / they didn't ring me) of their plans to not run the Adler on Easter week

Shocked that's shocking; when would they have advised you? Inghams did something similar to us in Alpbach, some years ago. We had booked a big party of 12 into a catered chalet and only on arrival did we discover it wasn't going to be run as a catered chalet - we had breakfast and chalet tea there but dinner was in the next door hotel, which owned the chalet. The food was truly shocking and were treated very shoddily by the grumpy hotel owners. We'd always stayed in low budget chalets and weren't expecting anything remotely fancy. We were shoved onto a very pokey table in the corner of the dining room, watching the other hotel guests being fed much better food. The "chalet boy" was excellent - he had got his grandma to teach him how to make cakes - but apparently the chalet kitchen wasn't suitable for cooking major meals. Inghams must have known that for months.

If there's a next time, when I book any package holiday I shall specify which aspects of the deal are "of the essence of the contract" for me.
ski holidays
pam w, that's not just shocking, that's just completely and utterly despicable ...

But Esprit have this morning fully redeemed themselves – we are now booked into one of their very-nice looking chalets in Tignes. Have to make our own way there but we don’t mind that at all. All worked out fine in the end which proves the point that a lot of people have made on this thread – persevere and refuse to take the first option offered if that’s not suitable for you / your family.

I was going to ask for your advice actually – we are a family of 4 with 2 young kids, we have the option of flying to GVA and then hiring a car (done this lots of times) or drive all the way from Manchester (never gone down this route before). I need to price the whole thing up but do you have any tips etc?

Many thanks.

Tony
snow conditions
Personally with my kids, I would fly. Not only is flying and airports exciting for them, but also one of my daughter gets carsick
snow report
NickyJ, good point, plus iPad batteries only last for ¾ hours Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Yes, I'd fly too, even if (as is likely at this stage) it's more expensive. Tignes sounds a good bet for next week - very glad you've got a satisfactory alternative sorted out. I drive, but not just for a week, and not with young kids. My daughter and family are coming on Monday - girls aged 2 and 4. They wouldn't drive but they do have the luxury of a private transfer. wink wink wink
latest report
Tony,

We drive as a family of 4 I reckon it's saves us many hundreds of pounds, we use DVD players attached to headrests.

Leave Leeds 6am ish, to the tunnel (get the tunnel crossing on Tesco vouchers), drive another 5 ish hours into europe, stop overnight. Finish in resort by lunchtime...

The way home we leave resort at 5am and are usually home by 9pm ish...

We do have loads of skis to take, so without the cost difference may not be so high...

Unfortunately last year my youngest was car sick in the UK, some of those wrist bands seemed to sort her for the rest of the journey
latest report
kitenski, thank you.

Looking at logistics for driving now …

easyJet flights are £950 plus they charge £60 for ski carriage (we have 2 bags) – I’m sure they are ramping the prices up for Easter, only paid £35 a month ago …

Driving appeals more to myself than my wife but I don’t mind it at all – do you know what the check in time for the tunnel is (ie how much time do we need between getting there and train departure?).

Thanks
snow conditions
franga, if your lucky you drive straight on!

The official word is "Please check in at least 30 mins and no more than 2 hours before your booked departure time."

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/about-my-journey/

flight prices always ramp up around school holidays, when you add in car hire, car hire fuel, parking at the airport etc you'll be looking at £1500 I'd guess...

Ah but we drive to Austria, so avoid the French peage system which could cost you a few hundred quid...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy