Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: All the hard things

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
That famous American skier John F Kennedy once said "We do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard" and indeed just getting into then back out of the Combe de l'If is not easy. The couloir is rated 4.3/E2, E2 means that you fall, and you will probably just be injured. Great, a lingering death in a remote backwater of the Chartreuse rather than instant death. It brings to mind the case of a walker, off track in the woods above Le Tour, his body or rather his bleached skeleton found 3 years after a mayday call to the PGHGM, his bony fingers till clutching his mobile phone.

The first 50 meters of the couloir is a 50°, this flattens out to just 45° for the rest of the couloir. Of course what they don't tell you is that to reach the combe you have to ski the exposed NW couloir

, E3 this time, you fall and you die a bit quicker. Yeah yeah, all this E1 - E4 stuff, invented by ski touring pioneer Voldia Shahshahani probably sounds like "l'enculage les mouches" as the French would say but the NW couloir is exposed, a 300 meter sheer drop on the right which is not immediately obvious from the photo. Still to understand Volodia's ski rating system you have to understand the man, Volodia, an American who has lived in Grenoble since 1951, was a member of the gauche prolétarienne, an extreme left wing maoïstes group where minute policy details had enormous significance, at least for the members. Think People's Front of Judea.

Say a little prayer before you ski

The couloir, from the top, doesn't look that hard

This year someone had broken the cornice earlier in the season and it is possible to down climb with crampons to a small ledge just under about 5 tonnes of unstable cornice. Nice.

Otherwise it is a rappel from a dead-man or a bouncy pine, here a skier opts for the bouncy pine. I preferred the downclimb but the rappel is probably safer. It is all very Blizzard of Aaahs.

From the ledge under the cornice, with a nice 1m40 of headroom, the couloir doesn't look steep, does the camera flatten things a bit?

maybe this view gives a better perspective?

- from this page http://www.skitour.fr/sorties/charmant-som,46179.html

For my descent the conditions were excellent

after a slightly icy entrance which I sideslipped for a few meters there was 10cm of powder on a firm base

general view

the couloir leads into the ominously named "valley of shadows" very tolkienesque, from here it was a case of skiing down to the main road and hitching back up the hill to my car. Nice view waiting for a car to come by

these photos from a couple of weeks before show the cornice, the downclimb is on the left

this is about where I made my first turn

- not keen on Jeroen's style here, still he did quite well in the Pierra Menta last week.

and this shot gives you more idea of scale

I was on my own so didn't have a "model" for perspective. It is what the French call a Couenne a Ski - a bacon rind. Not a major line like stuff in Cham but a nice confidential gnarly route that doesn't get skied every day.

Here is the route description: http://pistehors.com/la-combe-de-if.htm if you find yourselves in the Chartreuse.

and the trip report: http://pistehors.com/la-combe-de-if-route-2.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great stuff. love the photos.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

not keen on Jeroen's style here, still he did quite well in the Pierra Menta last week

to argue about the style of someone who did well in the Pierra Menta might be to enculer les mouches. wink

Lovely photos. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree lovely photos, but with norris here.
Glad you made it down davidof, buy i'm not very good with heights: that is the stuff of nightmares for me.
and i wonder where "hard" ends and "bonkers" starts,
But then i look at other areas of my life, and realise that its a matter of ability, confidence and courage.
We all do some pretty bonkers things at times.
We probably need to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very nice snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rad!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great report, I'm also with norris,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy