Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just Curious - what type of skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I note that a lot of people on snowheads seem to use what I'd call detuned GS skis -in the Voelkl 5star category. Is this due to general versatility, a fit with "traditional" ski technique or a desire mainly to carve on groomers? I only ask because from a number of trips to North America this category would seem to be being killed by fatter skis looking at what people with newer kit are skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I suspect mainly carving on groomers. I think there's a bit of a fat ski fad going on that will reverse a bit once folks get their ehad round the fact that having 2cm each side of your boot is inefficient. I suspect the Atomic Metron B5/Rossi oversize profiles will proliferate.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, you'll see people on fatter skis in some resorts, particularly in the US.Canada, because of the "fad going on" at teh minute for skiing powder. If people would only learn that it is inefficient to ski powder, and get back to skiing groomers, then they'll all be on skinny skis again. Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They should ban over 80mm waist and bob's your uncle.... NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, I was just mis-quoting DM!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, I think it's rather a case of those 2cm on either side of the boot being as inefficient on the groomers as the lack thereof is inefficient in powder.

Of course both types of skis can be made to work well in any conditions by a good skier. But they do have different strengths and weaknesses.

I haven't skied the Metron so can't comment. However, really good skiers who use (super)fats go for less sidecut, not more. Apparently it's to do with a) being able to do wide turns and b) big-sidecut skis catching.

I wish I could ski the Spatula once, just to see what it's like.

On a different subject, easiski says we should meet and ski sometime.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, that'll be the famous US East coast powder then? wink

Just consider the needs of the average, mainstream skier. Something that makes turning easier on piste. What are the marketers offering? Something that makes it disturbingly to venture off piste on the rare days that you get powder. (Unless you live in Utah.)

If you only ski 1 week a year it's reasonable that you'll quite rarely see powder!

So why compromise when you're spending your hard won £££ on kit is all I'm alluding to.

Something like the B5 would seem to be a reasonable way forwards. Great on piste performance and I am led to understand good off piste as well.

Cedric, erzactly. IMHO though the number of times the average purchaser of these fatties is going to ski off piste at all, nevermind in powder, is small. It's a poor payoff.

I haven't skied the Matron either, although I am very curious. If I was really good, I think my 218 DH boards would be perfect - if maybe a little stiff. Long, wide, no sidecut.

I'd love to try the Spats too - although I can't get my head around the physics.

Does she? Always delighted - where are you skiing this year?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone play a round of golf with just one club? You work hard for your money, buy as many skis as you like. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, I agree. Ban anything over 180mm in the waste.

David Murdoch, I skied Spats for a day. It was good, all lift served off piste so a few groomers to and from, they were just weird on the hard stuff. Unfortuntely no real powder to enjoy, they were OK in other off piste conditions from crud to concrete. Felt great when landing anything big. If I lived in Mount Baker, AK or owned a heli I'd have a pair for my quiver.

As Biggie SZK was saying t'other day the future of freeride skis will have a waste of around 105mm. I believe it too, just seeing what different people are doing. Fat skis aren't new, it's balancing fat skis with a little sidecut and with progrssive flex that allow them to be so versitile.

Metrons, Zags and other mid-fat to fat skis with large amounts of sidecut maybe the future for owning one pair of skis.

I don't like too much sidecut, hey, if I wanted to turn I'd take up ballroom dancing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, I agree. Also, given that you can pick up bargains on ebay etc. these days, having a pair of fat skis for the occassion when the conditions cry out for them, can be achieved at a not insurmountable price.

BTW, have you decided what bindings to mount on your Prophet 130s yet???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I confess I've got some fat twins - lucked out buying them just before I went to California last New Year & fluked the storm of the season. Needless to say didn't ski on my skinny 70mm "freeride" skis at all (just shows how the labels change over a few seasons). Now it wasn't sheet ice but I found the fatties more than tolerable on groomers & corn/crud later in the season that I wonder about whether to bother packing other skis this year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo, no still torn with the binders. I really want the versitility of some touring bindings, I've never had an issue with them in the past but I know this ski is going to be my everyday ski Shocked So at the back of my mind it's race stock + treckers. But I think I'll wait until I'm in resort and whoever gives the better deal on a pair of Freerides or Nx21 gets my money...

fatbob, gutted about those Atomics. Mrs P said I should have bought them anyway at that price, wish she'd been around when I saw them Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
If you only ski 1 week a year it's reasonable that you'll quite rarely see powder!

Unless you go to:
Alberta
British Columbia
California
Colorado
Montana
New Mexico
Wyoming

(you've already mentioned Utah)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:
Recent years I have only skied in France but almost every one of these weeks I have skied powder. Admittedly there have been some weeks without recent snow falls and so a bit of walking was needed to get to places where no one else had skied. But even old powder is powder and it can be very nice powder.
snow report
The other thing is that fat skis without too much sidecut help in a wide range of off-piste snow conditions - not just powder. They're better in slush, crud and all sorts of other unpleasantness
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Adrian, Arno, true, I just think there are more fat skis being sold than fat ski skiers!
ski holidays
I think I agree with you, David, about more fat skis being sold than the number of people who could or should ski them. Some of the off piste skiing you see near the piste is scary. People with no skill and no mountain awareness going down wierd slopes on high avalanche risk days.
ski holidays
Adrian, for sure. I should also have said well done for being such a powder hound. I seem to only get lots of SMSs about powder when I'm not there!
snow conditions
David Murdoch,

Know exactly how u feel...me too..!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy