Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000 and beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from Arc 2000 (22/3/14). Took son and his wife who are absolute beginners. Weather was terrific (sun every day) but created thaw/freeze conditions which meant icy mornings and heavy snow afternoons. However, point of this post is to advise absolute beginners to stay away from accommodation that is NOT centred around the Place d'Olympique. We had an Inghams chalet within the Altitude Residence and the only way up to the slopes from there was via a fairly steep button lift (not good for absolute beginners) or a long trek up and down lifts and walking along corridors to get to the ski schools which are, of course, in the Place d'Olympique square.
Almost any accommodation around the outside of the Place d'Olympique will put you straight on the the square where the ski school classes congregate.
Needless to say, son and his wife lost a few pounds walking back and forth and up and down lifts to get to their class!
But, did we have a good time? Of course, sun was great, skiing was good and nose was sunburned. What more can you ask!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
planeman, welcome to snowHead . Sounds like you had a great time, drag lifts aside. Anyway, no problems next year with drag lifts now they are not beginners. Me, I only have to look at drag lifts to fall off....usually on long ones, about half way up the hill.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
planeman, you could have taken a left out of the Altitude Residence (instead of the walk past Crazy Fox and Whistlers Dream), follow the road right under the arch and it'll take you up to the main square that way. Slightly longer distance wise but no lifts.

And I'd have thought even beginners should have been able to get on the button lift after a day or two?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tip, we did ask and the only route offered was either button or lifts/corridors. Will bear your alternative in mind for next time.
Son could have managed button, probably from day one but not sure about his wife! Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think drag lifts are a no no for everyone, the old ones come round fast, whip you in the a*se, and then pull you off the floor like a rocket, glad you had a good time, if you go another Time check out 1800's appts and 1950's, 1800 is like 2000 but maybe a little cheaper due to height, 1950 is very cosy, disneyesque, more expensive but defo worth it, glad you had a great time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I think drag lifts are a no no for everyone

What!!! A decent skier should be able to do at least 2 of:

phone/text
drink
smoke
read a piste map
clean goggles/sunglasses

simultaneously while on a draglift. 3 is showing off or doing any of the above with a small child between your legs (except smoking) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what...snow, ESF should test this sort of thing. Sod the timed slalom race
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks ChinxSkis, we paid a visit to 1950 (mainly so the missus could go to the fancy spa!) which I was quite impressed with but only touched on 1800 to get the Transarc back up to cross over the ridge to 2000. 'A little cheaper' I am all in favour of! I rarely go to the same resort twice and am thinking about Arinsal next season (which I think might be a little cheaper). I will start or look up an existing thread to get thoughts on it. I agree with dobby incidentally, button lifts are fine when you have mastered them but a little early instruction on them would not I think go amiss! Thank you all for your comments, need I say useful and entertaining! By the way, what...snow, you omitted waxing your skis..a doddle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy