Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski poles...have we done this one yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Considering a new pair of ski poles, I have a pair of fairly old Black Diamond adjustable poles that I'd probably keep for off piste days, but wondering what's what in the world of piste ski poles for a non racer?

Appears to be similar choices to road bikes - alloy or carbon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, for information I have another technology combination in my ones. Mine are what I think K2 call Exo Carbon composite poles like these http://corefinpro.com/shop/product/K2-Exo-Carbon-Composite-Ski-Poles-12.html

"Exo 10 technology utilizes ten rows of carbon fiber only on the exterior of the shaft to create a pole that has the stiffness and response of a carbon shaft with the durability and toughness of a full composite construction."

It might also be worth looking at? (Mine have been fine)

Also found this which seems to be a further step forward from them

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/news/industry.php?newsId=19583

They seem to be on sale in the UK from here http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/index.php?page_id=prod&brandid=378&brand_name=K2&plu=0002054002&description=K2+TRIAX+POLE and probably other places
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My only advice is... don't get ones with Left and Right handed grips. Is a pita at the top of every lift sorting which pole goes in which hand.

I bought the black ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, I thought you'd have just used the BD's rather than splash cash Shocked wink

The best non-adjustable I had were Scott SL poles. Mine are over 10 years old, I think, and have withstood as much abuse as I could dish out on them. They're still dead straight, although all corporate decoration fell off years ago so they're just white now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, they keep slipping when used for serious poling on piste, tighten them up every day now....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski,
Quote:

they keep slipping when used for serious poling on piste, tighten them up every day now....
Shocked Mine don't. And they make a point of this locking system being non-slip. Have you taken it up with BD?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
......when used for serious poling on piste....

Just learn to skate wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends which system. The older screw-locks are more prone to slippage than the newer flick-locks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

they keep slipping when used for serious poling on piste, tighten them up every day now....
Shocked Mine don't. And they make a point of this locking system being non-slip. Have you taken it up with BD?

They are approx 5 years old so no I haven't!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, sounds like something is up with the locking mechanism - worth checking whether it is beginning to split. i had a pair of flicklock poles which worked for 10 years+ except when one of the locks split due to me overtightening it
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, he wants to buy some new toys, lets not talk him out of it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, ah cheers, will go take a look later then!

tiffin, rumbled Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
be a proper ski instructor kitenski, get your self a pair of ali Scott poles and smash em to bits over a few seasons wink (my 7 year old ones finally broke this season Sad((( )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Del was trying to sell me on Scott poles, something about the grip making the pole swing forwards when you grip 'em!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, yup best handles and they take a battering... get the world cup ones...
snow conditions
Quote:

be a proper ski instructor kitenski, get your self a pair of ali Scott poles

Ha! I didn't realise it was one of the requirements, but fortunately I seem to have passed that module having just bought a pair of these:
http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/scott-sports540-ski-poles
snow conditions
skimottaret, which are the world cup ones???

http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/category/wintersports/WintersportsPoles_2014/WintersportsPolesPoles_2014/;jsessionid=69AB0F25B058328DE931B078CB6C71F4
latest report
team issue...
snow conditions
kitenski, Looks as if they have renamed them to Team Issue.

There are some good deals on previous years' colours.
latest report
skimottaret rjs, cheers, just googling now Smile
snow report
kitenski, The ones I saw were on the Ultrafun website.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

Mine don't either and they're the only poles I use now too. They've probably had 150 days use for both touring and piste bashing and still lock tighter than a tight thing. They're possibly locking even tighter, now that there's a bit of oxidation of the Aluminium flanges that the plastic flicklocker thingamajig tightens around.

Apart from the portability benefits of telescopics when it comes to bootpacking, they can very neatly pop into a standard suitcase making your ski bag less bulky to carry about. They've also allowed me to experiment with pole length and I found that 5 cm shorter notably benefits my plant, something I'd have been unlikely to find out otherwise.
latest report
Get yourself some Cold Poles... - http://www.coldpole.com/home.htm
ski holidays
Go for two.
latest report
What a stupid concept. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wdoGVgj1MtY#t=270
latest report
Quote:

Go for two.

Not just any two though - they ideally need to be the same length as each other.
ski holidays
poles? what are poles?
latest report
Gnar:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
has to be these: http://bambooskipoles.com/
ski holidays
Leki world cup - would not have believed poles can make a difference
ski holidays
I pick poles purely on prettyness, I have no idea what a better pole would do for my skiing but I want these

http://www.volkl.com/accessories/poles/adult-poles/phantastick.html

they go with my trousers Wink

Actually I have 2 odd ski poles at the minute as I broke one faffing about on a chair lift
snow report
The best skiers rock the BDs (whippets optional) or any old crap mismatched Alu poles. Old 70s/80s Scott poles are good if you can find them as they were build burly (back in the day when Scott basically did poles and goggs).
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
Leki world cup - would not have believed poles can make a difference
I'm sceptical why did they make a difference
snow conditions
altis, you legend i was told these exist but had no idea how to find out what they were called, bootpacking gold!
ski holidays
Glad to be of service - for a change!

Also look at Black Diamond Whippet.
ski holidays
The Whippet scares me! i am a danger to myself and bystanders at the best of times, let alone with a sharp blade on my hands!

i once punched myself in the face on a mogul run... imagine what would have happened throwing an pick in the mix!
snow report
Nope, it needs to disappear while skiing
snow report
fatbob wrote:
The best skiers rock the ... or any old crap mismatched Alu poles.

Just out of interest how much better does this make my skiing, I've only rocked this look once and had a load of kids slowing me down so just wondering how much of a step up I will notice the next time I go skiing?
snow conditions
lynseyf, Same I have some pretty white Scott poles with flowers on them....mind you no ones nicked them yet! wink kitenski, How about some with screw off caps in the handle to make the longest hip flasks ever, you have to watch what you put in them as it tends to freeze, oh and the ones we were given can only be used by a giant!
snow report
I'll vote for the plain scott ali type. i had used straight carbon ones for a while and didn't really think much about it, but then tried someone elses Scotts and they just feel better as you get none of the "twang" that the carbon poles seem to give especially if you have to stick along anywhere.

Wouldn't have thought there would be much difference but I'd take the aluminium ones any day now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy