Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do fingernails grow quicker in resort???

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe it something to do with them being kept warm (gloves) all the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep - its the altitude. Toofy Grin

Also get brittle and stay really clean ( prob down to the pool/hottub ) liking the gloves theory.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Knew I wasn't imagining it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower air pressure
not as much force holding them back in
i'm sure same is true for hair
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have expected the altitude to make them grow slower.

I feel that my nail beds shrink back a bit when I'm in resort so the nails look longer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My nails are getting very brittle and splitting, must put more cream on them. I also find that my hair grows quickly - must be spending all winter stuffed under the helmet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes but I always assumed that because they were in gloves I didn't nibble them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me Puzzled

Its just you I'm afraid!
High altitude (hypoxic conditions compared to SL) as well as low temperatures appear to (at least according to a paper in a random medical journal I was mooching through a while back) inhibit growth of fingernails. I suspect what the last poster said is probably true... A combination of no nail biting (due to gloves) and a lack of nail scissors is responsible!

R
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going with the lower air pressure theory Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lower air pressure makes your boobs, and other protuberances bigger too - less air pressure to squish them in. I love the idea of all the dirty finger nails being cleaned in the hot tub - just one of the reasons to go nowhere near the nasty things. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My eyes also seem to get puffed out too.........
Lack of pressure at altitude. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

just one of the reasons to go nowhere near the nasty things.

Made me chuckle Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agree it seems to be true.
Maybe hanging on to ski poles all day has something to do with it ?
ski holidays
Mrs Ansta1 tells me that it is a medical fact that it's not possible to out on weight whilst living at altitude. This is apparently the justification for zero restraint at the dessert counter I am told.
ski holidays
Funny, I got back last night and looked at my nails and thought how much they'd grown
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe hanging on to ski poles all day has something to do with it ?

so snowboarders would not experience the same effect....
snow conditions
I definitely think nails grow quicker in resort but hair (facial hair/beards, anyway) grows slower.

My theory for the nails is not from the warmth of wearing gloves but the protection of wearing them. In normal life you are constantly touching things with your nails which impedes growth during the day - I suspect they only really grow at night. When skiing, they get 7/8 hours of no friction when cosseted in a glove thus doubling the daily growing time.

I don't have a theory for why stubble seems to grow slower. Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

lower air pressure makes your boobs, and other protuberances bigger too
pam w, Does that work for the gentlemen? wink

PS Not expecting you to reveal state secrets!!
ski holidays
KenX, right....I've never owned up to thinking this, sure it was right, but didn't own up since I couldn't think of an obvious, definitive mechanism.

...and I definitely perceive them to grow faster. But....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17656907

and that's the only well-designed study I can find - and that states lower growth would be expected due to reduced oxygen.

and all this is without the other peculiar symptom when we and others are staying at our place (1100metres) which is ... WEIRD DREAMS ... immediate (ie from the first night) weird, vivid semi-nightmares or very strange full-colour, 'I'm flying' dreams....anyone else?
snow report
Oh yes - up here at 2100m everyone I know reports dreaming if they don't at home, or if they do, much more intense and more bizarre dreams. Oxygen starvation must be a weird thing!
latest report
Quote:

Yes but I always assumed that because they were in gloves I didn't nibble them.

+1!
snow conditions
Yep I favour the warm glove theory, no housework and they stay so clean. As for hair - mountain water is usually so beautifully soft and your hair just shines
ski holidays
Actually my hair as seemed to have grown quite a bit, I had it cut just a couple of days before I went away, looking at it now you wouldnt think so.

Wrt oxygen levels, it actually remains at a constant level of 21 % all the way up to the tropopause. It is the pressure that reduces, not the content. wink
ski holidays
valais2, definitely dream much more here than in Sussex and visiting friends report the same.
ski holidays
Yer not drinking enough Schapps, Jaegermeisters, Weissbier or Jaegertea 😃
snow report
Nails - yes, and toenails too, which can give problems with boot comfort etc.

Dreams - I suspect that all that cheese in the alpine diet might also have something to do with it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, agree, tooooo much cheese can actually give you a "Cheese Hangover" I guess the same applies at altitude that does to other Hangovers .... Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy