Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lucia Recchia helicoptered off the womens down hill

Poster: A snowHead
Lucia Recchia has just been helicoptered off the womens down hill at Lake Louise after loosing control and going through the safety netting at speed. She is conscious but has been kept immobile on the snow by the medics.

Race on Eurosport at the moment

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 3-12-05 1:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just watching it .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh to be able to ski as well as that !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Mason, What? Bouncing like a rag doll on concrete thrown from a car at 70mhp on the M6? Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, to be honest I thought it looked more like the A1 ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hope she is ok, the way she dived through the gate she must have got terrible neck injuries. How easily accidents happen. Take care on the snow it is a dangerous sport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied the Women's (and the Men's) Downhill at Lake Louise - I wanted to be helicoptered off too (the mens anyway)
I hope she's OK !!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to CBC sports race officials have said that Recchia has not suffered any serious injuries cbc sports
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's a relief.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Russell, I'm not sure how accurate that is. there is no information on the FIS website, and it looked bad to me. The length of time it took to evacuate her, and doing so in that manner by helicopter (rather than carrying her to the piste and putting her in it). If it was here you would know that was a very serious injury. I hope I'm being pessimistic, but the lack of "official" news is worrying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to the Toronto Star she suffered a mild concussion and facial abrasions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This report from Slam! Sports says she went under the safety net. I didn't see the TV coverage - is it reckoned that her injuries happened because the net itself didn't catch her? (that question to anyone who saw it)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She was on the wrong side of the net not sure if she went under. But net was cut, I do not know if she did this or course workers did it to get to her
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hard to say, but she did go straight through it. Certainly her facial abrasions may have been exagerated, but the concussion I suspect would have been caused from the initial impact. It was a fairly dramatic crash in terms of speed, she was lucky in that she slid rather than flailed her limbs! It could have been much worse. This whole event seems to have had problems.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It seemed pretty clear to me from the replays that she punched through the netting, probably feet first (as when they were getting the stretcher on her a few feet the other side her head was closest to the netting) - and the hole was very clear on the TV coverage as she stopped and well before the piste patrol got there. I didn't notice whether there was a hole there before she hit it though. One thing that did surprise me was that the commentary talked about some thin netting to slow them down before the main netting which was supposed to then bring them to a halt. I certainly saw no presence of that first line netting - and they quite conspicuously put some up a few metres inside the main fence as they helicoptered her away. Maybe someone screwed up there (queue the ambulance chasers? - this is the good ole US of A after all Wink ).
latest report
As with that Swiss racer a couple of years ago, if the racers binding doesnt release its akin to a six foot long razor blade slashing the catch netting at 70mph.

Surely setting a binding that tight is the racers risk rather than the course managers shortcoming?
ski holidays
Quote:
Surely setting a binding that tight is the racers risk rather than the course managers shortcoming?

I'd guess the line between accidental release and not releasing is very thin.
latest report
GrahamN, Isn't Lake Louise in Canaduh? wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I thought so - the comentators were talking about America and American home snow too?????????????????????? Any Canadians around must have been well pi**ed off. Shocked Shocked rolling eyes
snow conditions
David Murdoch, easiski, quite right...mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa Embarassed Embarassed . My only plea in mitigation is that previously I'd been watching the men's from Beaver Creek, and the venue change clearly hadn't sunk in.

To any Canucks reading, I offer my most heartfelt, deepest and most abject apologies. I'm normally pretty sensitive to these things having been born in Toronto myself. I would now quite rightly forfeit my Canadian passport - had I ever got around to getting one Sad .

I know DH is not considered a technical discipline, but to my rather inexperienced eye, it looked like the two top Austrians were in a class apart when it came to style down the slope. They seemed to have a smoother line, and were working the turns far more than the others who mostly seemed to be just riding and hanging on for grim death. On the final run in they also seemed to have a significantly narrower stance than the others Wink. I guess the winner was mixing a bit of both - she certainly seemed built like a brick proverbial.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy